Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31-07-2022, 03:16 PM
spacezebra (Petra)
Lost in Namibia

Website and domain advice needed

Greetings all

I am wanting to set up a weather blog on a website, however I need advise on setting up my own domain name as an individual (non-business), hosting and SSL certificate. Can someone advise me on how to do this (setting up the domain) securely and which type of domain etc (eg. au, id.au etc...).

Cheers Petra

Last edited by spacezebra; 31-07-2022 at 03:37 PM.
Old 31-07-2022, 04:20 PM
gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacezebra View Post
Greetings all

I am wanting to set up a weather blog on a website, however I need advise on setting up my own domain name as an individual (non-business), hosting and SSL certificate. Can someone advise me on how to do this (setting up the domain) securely and which type of domain etc (eg. au, id.au etc...).

Cheers Petra
Hi Petra,

Are you going to automate pushing data from your own weather station
to a third party web site provider or will you host the web site
on a computer at home?
Old 31-07-2022, 08:24 PM
ChrisD (Chris)
Image, Stack, Repeat.

Quote:
Greetings all

Cheers Petra
Firstly, choose a hosting service. Many provide blog templates to make setting up your blog easy and some will give you a subdomain for free but if you want your own domain name you'll need to organise that yourself. For a fee hosting companies will also provide a valid SSL certificate.

Purchase a domain at any domain registration site. I use webcentral.au but there are many, so find one that suites your price range. The domain registrar will provide you with a control panel so you can setup your DNS record entries. This will allow you to point your domain name to your blog page.

Hope this helps.

Chris
Old 31-07-2022, 09:01 PM
GTB_an_Owl (Geoff)
bewise betold neverbecold

Hi Petra
My son and I can handle the registration / delegation / renewal of whatever domain name
/ type you want.
And would be happy to help you select a hosting provider
At the moment most of my personal sites are with Dreamhost

You can check them at "dashboard.byrnesweb.site

Ps I would recommend using wordpress

Geoff
Old 31-07-2022, 10:47 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

I found the cheapest domain service was at Namecheap for a basic website hosting with email. Search their available domain names and see. They seem pretty unlimited now if you can work out the publishing uploading etc.

Quote:
Greetings all

Cheers Petra
Old 01-08-2022, 02:12 AM
oska (John)
Illucid

.au domains are more expensive than plain .com and also require ABN & paperwork usually. Full service hosting like web central can do the lot in a couple of clicks (.com) for about $30/mth. So you don't have to fuss with registrars and dns config. The SSL is automatically provided and configured for free. Webapp/packages are easily installed "one click" from cpanel. It used to be fiddly and somewhat difficult. Now it's easy, if you want it to be. The hardest part is coming up with a domain name that's not taken already
Old 01-08-2022, 09:38 AM
spacezebra (Petra)
Lost in Namibia

Greetings all

Many thanks for all your advice. Gary, I will pm you later today.

Awesome community!

Cheers Petra