ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24-01-2022, 11:50 AM
Stefan12

Gemini2 SD card problem

Hi there,

I'm Having some issues with my Losmandy Gemini 2 control board. When I power up the controller I get a message saying that there's no SD card. I've tried changing the SD card but still get the same error message. I wonder whether its the SD card in the hand controller that is causing the issue. I'd rather not pull any of the hardware apart to investigate.
Would I be able to send Gemini 2 unit over to anyone for repair/ testing?
I'm over in New Zealand.

Cheers,
Stefan
Old 24-01-2022, 08:03 PM
AstroApprentice (Jason)

Hi Stefan,
Contact Brendan Smith in Melbourne. He should be able to help or at least advise you.

https://gemini-2.com/G1-repairers.html

He’s a very experienced Gemini technician and does repairs for little more than the cost of the parts.
Old 24-01-2022, 09:08 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Is the HC display powering up and loading the home screen normally?

If not try another HC cable. (might be as simple as replacing the RJ45 connectors...a crimp tool costs about $30)
Old 25-01-2022, 11:12 AM
Stonius (Markus)

Also check the power on the motherboard button battery. A lot of unexpected weirdness happens if that gets low. You can check it in the ethernet browser interface
Old 30-01-2022, 08:00 PM
Stefan12

Hi,

I've just tried to change the battery in the Gemini unit but no luck. When I power up the hand controller it says No SD Card Logo

I've tried sending an email to Brandon but I haven't heard back. Perhaps he's changed his email?

Cheers for the help guys
Old 06-02-2022, 11:24 PM
Stefan12

I have a feeling it could be the SD cards that are the problem. Will the kingston 32GB micro SD card work? or do they have to be the 2 GB ones? Cheers, Stefan
Old 25-02-2022, 06:29 AM
DaveNZ (Dave)

You could also ask on the https://groups.io/g/Gemini-II. Brian Valente of Losmandy is rather active there.
Old 28-02-2022, 07:36 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Stefan....do check the HC SD card. They do come lose and or sometimes corrupt. You can take it (them) out and re-format rebuild the Card files thru GFU or other methods. In fact I have to use on board SD card to flash the ARM with its bootloader when replacing an ARM.

SD cards do not last forever...a 32Gb will fit but be overkill...bit no harm there and no hard in replacing. A good quality 16gb is a good choice. Try not to buy ones that too slow...but it doesn't need the highest speed cards as well!

Peters idea of checking the HC cord is valid....indeed even re-terminating its end at the main unit. Always goes bad there. You can usually wriggle the plug and get it to come good go bad.....

Another trick is to set the Serial/gps (serial port 2) to 56700 bps and plug the HC into that port...just to see if its not a port socket issue. Do set the port back to its original value after.

But 100% sure its a bad SD card...probably replace them both. Here is a link to SD card re builder you can use GFU. .

If you replace the battery do set DTG in the system as soon as you can. Can be done thru WEB interface if HC is not working

My email is thru this forum or the IO groups....

cheers

Bendan

Last edited by wasyoungonce; 28-02-2022 at 07:47 PM.