Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy

Old 28-11-2021, 08:00 AM
dabbeldi

Horrible seeing last night (Melbourne)

Brief rant:
After realising that there would be good transparency and decent seeing, I went for a half hour drive to the upper Yarra Valley for some darker skys.
However, once I was set up, there was hardly any detail on Jupiter, no Cassini division on Saturn, stars appeared blurry at 60x and sometimes even at 40x. Hmm, I thought, maybe the scope isn't cooled down enough yet, but it didn't get any better. I then realised the stars were twinkling like crazy. Well, no moons of Uranus or Neptune then. I cut my losses and went for some galaxies and M42.
At some stage, the seeing was so bad that the components of sigma orionis appeared to slightly move relative to each other.
I've never seen it quite that bad. It's amazing how conditions change. A month ago Jupiter held steady at 270x.
Old 28-11-2021, 09:06 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

It was quite breezy last night and the stars were unbelievably twinkly, it was not a good night for imaging either
Old 28-11-2021, 09:34 AM
floyd_2 (Dean)

I received a new ASI533MC-PRO at the start of the month and it's been cloudy up here in Sydney ever since. Looking at the forecasts, it's looking like it's going to last at least another week too unfortunately It's been a bad run here. Hopefully you guys down south can break the clear skies drought and send some up to us
Old 28-11-2021, 03:41 PM
dabbeldi

Only yad a couple of clear nights here in the last month. Should clear up a bit for summer hopefully.