Old 03-11-2021, 05:50 PM
iangallagher76 (Ian)

Fried my ZWO 533 MC

Hi All,

New to the forum and astro in general.
Bought a ZWO 533MC last month and have been loving it. I was taking darks this afternoon and the camera suddenly disconnected after 14 subs from 30.

I plugged in other cameras to test my cables and they worked.

My heart then sank as i looked at the power cable i supplied to the camera it was my laptops 19v supply rather than the usual 12v i use.

So i reckon ive fried the camera. Is it salvageable?

my wife asked how much it cost - i had to lie and say just a couple of hundred bucks
Old 03-11-2021, 05:56 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Oh dear...can you see my weird grimace from there? OUCH!

Give ZWO a line on their Facebook group. They will sort you out. It's probably a simple, cheap-ish fix even if to return to China.

I also have a 533...I dropped it once by mistake (onto a thick rubber mat thankfully), but I did poo kittens until I downloaded my first subs then started breathing again
Old 03-11-2021, 06:05 PM
iangallagher76 (Ian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Oh dear...can you see my weird grimace from there? OUCH!

Give ZWO a line on their Facebook group. They will sort you out. It's probably a simple, cheap-ish fix even if to return to China.

I also have a 533...I dropped it once by mistake (onto a thick rubber mat thankfully), but I did poo kittens until I downloaded my first subs then started breathing again
oh good idea - will try them there.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:48 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

https://www.facebook.com/ZwoDesignAstronomyCameras
Old 03-11-2021, 10:29 PM
Drac0 (Mark)

OUCH! Seems to be a time for frying things, but I think mine will be cheaper to repair. Short circuit in my power supply seems to have killed the PCB in my mount.

Good luck with yours.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:37 AM
iangallagher76 (Ian)

A helpful person on FB directed me to this site where i've now ordered a motherboard. worked out to be about $260 AUD delivered - half the cost was delivery but what can you do.

link here should anyone else run in to trouble
https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop...o-Kameras.html
Old 05-11-2021, 02:34 PM
I.C.D (Ian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iangallagher76 View Post
Hi All,

New to the forum and astro in general.
Bought a ZWO 533MC last month and have been loving it. I was taking darks this afternoon and the camera suddenly disconnected after 14 subs from 30.

I plugged in other cameras to test my cables and they worked.

My heart then sank as i looked at the power cable i supplied to the camera it was my laptops 19v supply rather than the usual 12v i use.

So i reckon ive fried the camera. Is it salvageable?

my wife asked how much it cost - i had to lie and say just a couple of hundred bucks
Hi Ian have you tried to see if it is fried, I have been told they are pretty robust gear I had a mate drop his on his driveway and still worked.
Old 05-11-2021, 03:54 PM
Zuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.C.D View Post
Hi Ian have you tried to see if it is fried, I have been told they are pretty robust gear I had a mate drop his on his driveway and still worked.
They may be robust physically, but cross-connect the battery leads or supply too much current and immediate smoke puff.

For some reason most of the manufacturers neglect to spend a few dollars and include some electrical protection.

I cross connected a battery and bang, lost the mount, the wifi adaptor and the asiair pro power board, a $500 mistake.

Now I connect everything via a Pegasus Astro pocket power module which has circuit protection.

Cheers
Old 07-11-2021, 12:20 PM
iangallagher76 (Ian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.C.D View Post
oh yes, ive tried everything but cant get the computer to recognise it. given i ran 19volts through it im pretty sure thats my issue
Old 09-11-2021, 12:35 PM
iangallagher76 (Ian)

just a quick update here. The new mainboard arrived from Germany today. All up i think it took less than a week which im super surprised with.

Installed it and it seems to be working now as normal. im not handy at all but the process was quite logical and only took about 10 minutes as i was extra cautious.
Old 09-11-2021, 01:43 PM
Drac0 (Mark)

Good stuff, hope it works well for you now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iangallagher76 View Post
just a quick update here. The new mainboard arrived from Germany today. All up i think it took less than a week which im super surprised with.

Installed it and it seems to be working now as normal. im not handy at all but the process was quite logical and only took about 10 minutes as i was extra cautious.