Old 04-07-2022, 12:48 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Prawn Progress

I was not going to do more on my recent Prawn Nebula but gathering more data fitted my testing of things.
I think things are better since I moved the filter draw close to the camera but I still have something to fix before I really worry more about tuilt..it seems not too bad at the moment so I live in hope.

I am sorry I am not sure how long this was all up but maybe five hours maybe six.
Gear to confirm..RASA 11, ZWO 2600 MONO L,Ha,S11 AND O11, EQ8R UNGUIDED 30 TO 40 SECOND SUBS Gain 250 to 350 Stacked Deep Sky Stacker, processed in Startools and Photoshop.

The data was very poor due to poor seeing and perhaps the data I got last night dragged the earlier data up somewhat...The colour was so bright in Startools and I had trouble getting the graph to show all colours in sync. I actually liked the bright version but could not bring myself to post it as it really was overpowering..this one is backed right off but having the coloured one along side probably caused me to be over the top with this image...

However I am very happy as I got a hint that I can make this scope work...maybe.

So please point out issues I need to address..

I tried to do flats but although I am getting closer to producing them they are detrimental to the image at this point.

alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (prawnmorn.jpg)
224.0 KB76 views
Old 04-07-2022, 04:32 PM
PKay (Peter)

Quite beautiful Alex
Old 04-07-2022, 04:55 PM
Dave882 (David)

Great to see you getting some sky-time Alex! It’s coming along nicely mate and pretty good stars across the field- my only other comment would be the colour balance is pretty green heavy, but I think I remember you mentioning your colour blindness so for me if you’re happy with it I’m happy too!!
Old 04-07-2022, 06:40 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex,
Nice work on the Prawn
Some good detail for shorts subs
I’d really like to see that Gain drop down a bit ( you realise the read noise at Gain 350 is no better than Gain 100 and at Gain 350 dynamic range is only 4 stops compared to Gain 100 at 13.5 stops. Also Full well at Gain 350 is only 1000e whereas Gain 100 is 15,000e , the max full well on these unbelievable cameras is 50,000e
Under those beautiful Bortle 3 skies ( only my opinion) but I reckon you should try Gain 100 as a minimum ( 30 sec subs to 90 sec subs ) Gain 0 from 2 minutes and above , even at f2.2
If it ends too bright in the stretch , Startools can easily remedy DR
Anyway just my 2 cents ….

Your hardly got to foot on the pedal , she’s just idling

Your making good progress with that RASA

Well done !!

Martin
Old 04-07-2022, 06:43 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

thanks Gentlemen.
I know about the green issue but I dont know how to reduce it given Ha is mapped to green..I wish I knew how to turn the green into yellow.

..anyways I am indeed happy even if the progress is slow I am at least still able to get out there..

alex
Old 04-07-2022, 06:58 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Alex,
Nice work on the Prawn
Some good detail for shorts subs
I’d really like to see that Gain drop down a bit ( you realise the read noise at Gain 350 is no better than Gain 100 and at Gain 350 dynamic range is only 4 stops compared to Gain 100 at 13.5 stops. Also Full well at Gain 350 is only 1000e whereas Gain 100 is 15,000e , the max full well on these unbelievable cameras is 50,000e
Under those beautiful Bortle 3 skies ( only my opinion) but I reckon you should try Gain 100 as a minimum ( 30 sec subs to 90 sec subs ) Gain 0 from 2 minutes and above , even at f2.2
If it ends too bright in the stretch , Startools can easily remedy DR
Anyway just my 2 cents ….

Your hardly got to foot on the pedal , she’s just idling

Your making good progress with that RASA

Well done !!

Martin
Thanks Martin with both the Prawn and The Dragons I started with high gain so new data a while back so I kept that way..and frankly given the results to date I really did not expect for anything to come from either the latest Prawn of Dragon as both were done in the course of testing and doing other stuff..plus the short time the clouds give me it has been a case of testing mainly.

I guess I like seeing images while imaging and high gain does that..anyways the first night I get decent seeing I will do it all the right way.

I still have not sortted many things as my new health issues intrude into my ability to do some things...I am getting radiation soon although they are not hopeful..The flats are next but so far they are not working even with tshirts, histograms and patience...it is taking longer than I expected but I will get there..or die trying

I bought a nice guide scope for the RASA and a little mono camera so I will have longer exposures available...and the asiair plus is on its way...chip chip...timber..

alex
Old 04-07-2022, 07:34 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex,
Sorry to hear the latest news about your health
Your a very determined bloke so I’m sure you will keep doing what you enjoy for as long as you can and always stay positive
Best always
Martin
Old 04-07-2022, 07:55 PM
JA

^ +1 .... I'm with Martin 100%
Stay strong Alex

Best
JA
Old 05-07-2022, 11:30 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks Guys it may take my life but in the mean time I won't let it ruin my day..or my nights...and I am so lucky I bet I beat it somehow...but I get to stay in accommodation near the hospital for two weeks and I am told there are nights where everyone one meets for dinner so I am looking forward to the experience as I know it is going to be heaps of fun...plus they made a mask to hold me in place which I get to keep..so it's all good.
alex
Old 06-07-2022, 10:24 AM
PKay (Peter)

Hey Alex.

I was thinking about you the other night...must have been cloudy

Some of the best images are Ha or Lum only.
In that case you don't have to worry about colour, just contrast, depth and detail.

Anyways, just a thought.
Old 06-07-2022, 06:35 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKay View Post
Hey Alex.

I was thinking about you the other night...must have been cloudy

Some of the best images are Ha or Lum only.
In that case you don't have to worry about colour, just contrast, depth and detail.

Anyways, just a thought.
Thanks for thinking about me Peter.

I really am not worried about the colour as I will get on top of it such that I can present my images in a manner that they are more acceptable in the colour department...I actually do quiet a few black and whites and work rather hard on detail... they turn out so good I dare not post them as everyone will think I am far too clever

What I do like to do is stack everything I have..L,Ha, S11, O11 all together using 3x drizzle and they come out with rather decent detail..often 600 or more subs that have passed close inspection..but at the moment I am still setting up the RASA ...although I have now owned it for a while what with my health and the weather I have not had much time with it and it needs more...also I realised today that I have been shooting over the genny shed with the genny running so no wonder my sky is like an ocean..the heat and moisture not good..I am going to the observatory later and I notice my batteries need charging so I can do some tests having the genny on and off...In any event I am having fun even if the RASA is not delivering the dream and I am learning so much.

I am for instance making a jig to deal with sensor tilt..I love those challenges.

Now I probably won't be serious tonight as I want to sort out my new auto guiding gear and find a way to take flats that produce usable flats with out to much mucking about.

AND I am not making excuses but I have not been all that well for a while now and so things are taking more time than I expected.. but I don't care you see..just playing in the observatory is just so much fun...and I 've also been doing a lot of visual via the screen...just prowling about looking for interesting subjects not usually covered...like blobs.. I like blobs

It is all good...and getting better every day.

Alex
Old 06-07-2022, 08:49 PM
Cyberman (Rob)

Nice picture Alex. All the best, Rob
Old 07-07-2022, 08:49 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberman View Post
Nice picture Alex. All the best, Rob
Thank you Rob your encouragement is most welcome.

Alex
Old 07-07-2022, 09:56 AM
AstroViking (Steve)

Hey Alex,

Keep up the good work. If you're happy with the mono images, maybe stick with them?

It's really depressing to hear about the health issues. Here's to a speedy recovery and getting back to your normal routine!

Cheers,
V

Last edited by AstroViking; 07-07-2022 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 07-07-2022, 01:16 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroViking View Post
Hey Alex,

Keep up the good work. If you're happy with the mono images, maybe stick with them?

It's really depressing to hear about the health issues. Here's to a speedy recovery and getting back to your normal routine!

Cheers,
V
Thanks please don't be depressed as I certainly am not...why would I be? 75 and lived the life of three other men ..I am rather happy really.

I am more happy with colour at least what I see..I am not particularly worriesd that it may not suit others to be honest...anyways it is an interpretation ...a palette..mine is just diffefent

Have a great day and thanks again for your thoughts.

Alex