Old 16-06-2021, 09:24 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Question Strong focuser options

Hi all,

I have a asi6200mm and 7x2" filter wheel hanging off a moonlite focuser for my 130mm refractor - and i get focus slip very quickly, i have tightened the clutch very tight and applied the pressure/lock screw at the bottom very tight to no avail. I am not sure i can really tighten anything any further without fear of breaking it. worked fine when i was just using a filter draw and not a full filter wheel.

what are my options for upgrade? i know of feathertouch as a possible and atlas as probably the best option. are there others? is feathertouch really that much of an upgrade over moonlite?

Open to other suggestions.

thanks
Old 16-06-2021, 09:27 AM
Wilsil (Wilco)

A rack and pinion would definitely work.
I am in the same situation, my image train from adapters to OAG plus CFW plus camera weighs 2.2 kg.
I am looking at the 2" Esatto from Primaluce
Old 16-06-2021, 09:40 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsil View Post
A rack and pinion would definitely work.
I am in the same situation, my image train from adapters to OAG plus CFW plus camera weighs 2.2 kg.
I am looking at the 2" Esatto from Primaluce
thanks wilco will check that out - haven't heard of that option before. oh yes i forgot to mention the OAG as well.
Old 16-06-2021, 09:49 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

I have a Baader Diamond Steeltrack on my SCT and it's up there with the other options. It's rack-and-pinion but with very smooth motion. Their motor option is prohibitively expensive, so you'd prolly want to roll your own solution on that front.

I'm sure it goes without saying that you should check the specs before clicking the "buy it now" button
Old 16-06-2021, 04:48 PM
AstroApprentice (Jason)

Another option very similar to the Esatto 3” is the soon to be released Pegasus prodigy https://pegasusastro.com/products/prodigy-microfocuser/

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustigsmed View Post
thanks wilco will check that out - haven't heard of that option before. oh yes i forgot to mention the OAG as well.
Old 16-06-2021, 05:43 PM
AdamJL

Esatto or the Pegasus Astro. Both should be good
Old 17-06-2021, 05:40 AM
gregmc (Greg)

I have a MoonLite CFL 2.5 inch Large Format Crayford Refractor Focuser on my 120ED Skywatcher ESPRIT holding a QHY600M-PH with a QHY 7 x 50mm filterwheel and I have no issues.
The clutch wheel between the focuser and the motor needs to be tightened (by hand). That's intended to allow a manual focus if loose.
Perhaps talk to Moonlite about it as it sounds like some form of adjustment
Old 17-06-2021, 07:43 AM
garymck (Gary)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
I have a Baader Diamond Steeltrack on my SCT and it's up there with the other options. It's rack-and-pinion but with very smooth motion. Their motor option is prohibitively expensive, so you'd prolly want to roll your own solution on that front.

I'm sure it goes without saying that you should check the specs before clicking the "buy it now" button
+1 for the Diamond Steeltrack. Best focuser I've ever used, and unlike most is fully collimatable. Don't like Moonlights - have had several and every one of them developed grittiness when the anodizing broke down under the bearings.

FWIW
Gary
Old 17-06-2021, 11:23 AM
Wilsil (Wilco)

I was also looking at the Prodigy but after asking some questions and getting no answers, not so sure.
Old 18-06-2021, 05:45 AM
AstroApprentice (Jason)

Quality focuser options may decrease with the current issues at Starlight Instruments (FTF) & the purported change of direction at Moonlite:
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/7...t-instruments/
Particularly for those who like the manual focus option…
Old 18-06-2021, 03:18 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

thanks for all the comments and suggestions everyone
i'll probably decide over the weekend on what I will go with.
Old 18-06-2021, 07:28 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Want the best? Try the rest, then get a FLI Atlas.
Old 18-06-2021, 08:41 PM
Logieberra (Logan)

Quote:
thanks for all the comments and suggestions everyone
i'll probably decide over the weekend on what I will go with.
I’d add Optec to the list if I was you. I have their TCF-S 3” and TCF LEO focuser and love them. They also have the Gemini w’ rotator. Give Don a call at BINTEL on Saturday - he sells Optec. Some history - the TCF has been their workhorse for over 20yrs: https://youtu.be/OwhifHeay-I They had the 1st temp compensation focuser patent which no doubt all those brands mentioned above have “bummed” off lol.
Old 19-06-2021, 11:13 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Want the best? Try the rest, then get a FLI Atlas.
So I contacted fli and the atlas was discontinued at the end of 2020! They don’t make/sell focusers anymore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logieberra View Post
I’d add Optec to the list if I was you. I have their TCF-S 3” and TCF LEO focuser and love them. They also have the Gemini w’ rotator. Give Don a call at BINTEL on Saturday - he sells Optec. Some history - the TCF has been their workhorse for over 20yrs: https://youtu.be/OwhifHeay-I They had the 1st temp compensation focuser patent which no doubt all those brands mentioned above have “bummed” off lol.
Thanks for the additional option
Old 19-06-2021, 01:06 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
So I contacted fli and the atlas was discontinued at the end of 2020! They don’t make/sell focusers anymore!
I am gob-smacked.

They could lift a bus with absolutely zero image shift.
I'll be treating mine like a silk-worm form here on...
Old 20-03-2022, 04:41 PM
AdamJL

What did you end up getting in the end, Russell?

A focuser upgrade is in my future maybe this year as well, and it's a toss up between the Esatto 3" and Pegasus Prodigy
Old 23-03-2022, 07:54 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
What did you end up getting in the end, Russell?

A focuser upgrade is in my future maybe this year as well, and it's a toss up between the Esatto 3" and Pegasus Prodigy
hi Adam,
I actually didn't end up getting anything. I contacted TS in germany to discuss the esatto from memory - actually just checked my email - here is the response:

Hi Russel,

the esatto4 is a very good one, but there are no connectors for the apo130f7, so I really can't propose a ready solution. as well the esatto3 doesn't have connectors as well. as well I don't have other solution, I'll try to check if primaluce is interested to build an adapter for the esatto 3 or 4 (probably more 3 than 4)

Freundliche Grüße | Kind regards

I then gave up for the time being probably as there wasn't many clear nights and ended up with an asiair. I 'downgraded' my reducer flattener as it was really the problem, the threading was near impossible to work with. and have since added a zwo focuser which hasn't been successful - but I haven't given up on it yet i need to reinstall.

cheers
Old 23-03-2022, 10:55 AM
Wilsil (Wilco)

I bought the Esatto 2" and love it.
Luckily they have adaptors for the Skywatcher ED80.
Old 23-03-2022, 03:57 PM
AdamJL

Quote:
hi Adam,
I actually didn't end up getting anything. I contacted TS in germany to discuss the esatto from memory - actually just checked my email - here is the response:

Hi Russel,

the esatto4 is a very good one, but there are no connectors for the apo130f7, so I really can't propose a ready solution. as well the esatto3 doesn't have connectors as well. as well I don't have other solution, I'll try to check if primaluce is interested to build an adapter for the esatto 3 or 4 (probably more 3 than 4)

Freundliche Grüße | Kind regards

I then gave up for the time being probably as there wasn't many clear nights and ended up with an asiair. I 'downgraded' my reducer flattener as it was really the problem, the threading was near impossible to work with. and have since added a zwo focuser which hasn't been successful - but I haven't given up on it yet i need to reinstall.

cheers
Hey Russell

Yeah that doesn't sound great that you couldn't get adapters for your scope. Isn't that one of the most frustrating things about this hobby? No standards across companies!

What issues are you having with the ZWO? I picked up one recently for my micro-setup, but the weather has been rubbish so haven't used it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsil View Post
I bought the Esatto 2" and love it.
Luckily they have adaptors for the Skywatcher ED80.
Great to hear! I need to convince the Mrs this is a necessary expenditure.... I would like to upgrade the Sesto Senso 2.