Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 12-09-2021, 12:17 AM
wooleybull (MICHAEL)

Meade damaged optics and optical alignment

Hi all after 7 months of frustration trying to get a decent image with my second hand Meade LX200GPS 10" I have rectified the problem, both mirrors were damaged! Mead were prepared to sell me me a new mirror set for $900US plus shipping but went silent when I asked how to align them! information that no one seams to have, a question I have asked in many groups! so I decided to get the optics recoated locally, I marked everything as it came out. the mirrors came back and I put it all back together using a laser to check alignment and of course it was no where near the centre of the primary and pointing to the inside of the baffle tube. (don't use a laser it wont work) to cut a long story short I incrementally moved the primary and realized that wherever I put it the laser beam didn't change. I reassembled it again and done a daytime colimitation, after a bit of trial and error with the secondary holder position in the corrector plate It looked ok! in poor seeing I did a star colimitation and it looks good. the primary is no where near the position that it came out, so I don't thick it matters how it goes back in! hopefully I can post the image of Jupiter i did tonight, it is 20 times better than the images I was getting before and should be even better when colimitation is fine tuned. Seeing tonight was poor 2 and 1
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (jup110921.jpg)
31.5 KB81 views
Old 12-09-2021, 11:11 AM
gb44 (Glenn)

Good job so far then.
How much play is there in the corrector plate in respect to the secondary mirror housing?

Have you seen this on collimation?
http://www.astrophoto.fr/collim.html

GlennB
Old 12-09-2021, 06:45 PM
wooleybull (MICHAEL)

the corrector plate is about 1/4" bigger then the secondary mirror housing, from what i can gather form different post's i have read mead are the only ones who do this! the suggestion is its so you have to send it back to them for alignment with your $500! just from my research for this little project it seams that mass produced scopes are calibrated to a close enough is good enough standard! some suggestions mainly with Meade are that by spending the time moving the corrector in small increments, there could be a gain of up to 15% in the performance! I will have a look at the link! I found a relly ggo site its called MAPUG-Astronmy Topical Archive
Cheer Michael
Old 15-09-2021, 08:04 PM
gb44 (Glenn)

Further info - have a look at the DSI collimating procedure
http://www.deepskyinstruments.com/tr...re_Ver_1.0.pdf

GlennB