Old 08-05-2021, 01:48 PM
Rob_K

Meteor through the eyepiece

Over the years on IIS there have been a number of discussions about meteors seen through the eyepiece and it has always been my view that such sightings must be very rare and that meteors must flash through the FOV at a rate which would make them difficult to recognise in any case. However reported sightings ranged all the way from nightly, to often or regularly, to rarely, to never!

Until last week, I was in the 'never' category! That is, I'd never seen anything remotely as fast as a meteor despite innumerable objects flashing through the eyepiece FOV over the years. But I can happily report that this has changed and I'll give a description of the sighting, for the record.

I was testing out a new telescope and had it randomly pointed to the sky as I fiddled with the focus. I had just obtained good focus and while staring intently at the field I was suddenly aware that "something had happened". Hard to describe, like an incredibly brief flash but no point source or direction. I didn't see anything crossing the field. Immediately afterwards, 'smoke' tendrils curled outwards from an approximate line across the centre of the FOV and disappeared within a second or two. Without the 'smoke' I'd never have realised what I witnessed. Score 1 meteor, very pleased!

Cheers -
Old 08-05-2021, 10:50 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

What an experience Rob, lucky you! It must have been like the remnants of smoke from a jet fighter and despite not seeing the actual meteor, the smoke revealed it's trajectory. Thanks for sharing your story.