Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 30-06-2021, 08:05 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

IOS App for creating an “obstructed horizon” map for The Sky X Pro.

Hi Folks

I would like to create an “obstructed horizon” based on the height and angular direction of extended objects, such as trees and buildings that obscure areas of the sky from my set up point in our back garden.

Does anyone know of an IOS App that can measure the angular direction and angular height of objects reasonably accurately, so that I can get some measurements to generate an “obstructed horizon” in The Sky X Pro?

Otherwise, I’ll have to resort to my adjustable set square, compass and panoramic head on a tripod and do this manually.

Thanks

Dennis
Old 30-06-2021, 09:10 AM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

I've got Measure that has inclinometer but not azimuth
Old 30-06-2021, 10:28 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_4059 View Post
I've got Measure that has inclinometer but not azimuth
Thanks Peter, I just popped outside in the back garden to do this with adjustable set square and compass, as I figured it would be as quick to do this manually, rather than explore how to use a new App.

That massive Gum Tree in the E hides everything below 65 deg altitude in a the swathe of skies due East...lucky the Earth spins to bring stuff into view...eventually.

Cheers

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (R6 IMG_5738 Crop 1280.jpg)
156.6 KB16 views
Click for full-size image (R6-IMG_5739-Crop-1280.jpg)
184.4 KB9 views
Old 30-06-2021, 11:13 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

"I've got Measure that has inclinometer but not azimuth", all you need is a compass.

But you might find it easier to use google satellite and just do a rough segmentation by the compass points, easy to calculate distance to obstruction as well. Also, do you need to go below 35/45degrees? That would make your object/boundaries a little less complex.

You might want to try and save a basic horizon with one or two changes and locate the new file. See if its txt/tabulated based, you might find it easier just to fill in the extra rows.

Steve
Old 30-06-2021, 11:29 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mura_gadi View Post
"I've got Measure that has inclinometer but not azimuth", all you need is a compass.

But you might find it easier to use google satellite and just do a rough segmentation by the compass points, easy to calculate distance to obstruction as well. Also, do you need to go below 35/45degrees? That would make your object/boundaries a little less complex.

You might want to try and save a basic horizon with one or two changes and locate the new file. See if its txt/tabulated based, you might find it easier just to fill in the extra rows.

Steve
Hi Steve

I've already generated the obstructed horizon, by using the Mouse Pointer to draw it in The Sky X Pro. It was quite straightforward once I had the data points.

I am mostly obstructed below 30 deg altitude for 360 degrees due to trees and roof tops, it was the big Gum Tree that needed to be incorporated. However, the atmospheric crud at and below 30 deg prevents any activity in those regions regardless of them being obstructed. The joys of suburban astronomy.

Cheers

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (The SKy X Pro Obstructed Horizon A.jpg)
168.4 KB15 views
Click for full-size image (The SKy X Pro Obstructed Horizon B.jpg)
148.6 KB7 views