m11 (Mel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDrive View Post
How good is this.....taking possession of an SDM

Well done Mel.

Col...
Hey Col, thanks buddy.

I hope you had a great birthday

Thanks, its been a long journey in which I have learnt alot but I have found I now know not much at all. Its a very humbling hobby and gives you some perspective of your place.

I am glad to have the ability to view in first class style.

I have told Pete to reserve the SDM serial numbers in the 90's so I can have consecutive numbers for all the scopes.
Old 20-09-2021, 06:28 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by m11 View Post
Hey Col, thanks buddy.

I have told Pete to reserve the SDM serial numbers in the 90's so I can have consecutive numbers for all the scopes.
Please remember me in your Will .....
Old 20-09-2021, 07:07 PM
m11 (Mel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDrive View Post
Please remember me in your Will .....
Haha , will do

I think my kids will just fire sale everything or pawn my stuff in.
Old 21-09-2021, 12:25 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Haha , will do

I think my kids will just fire sale everything or pawn my stuff in.
I told my wife that all my Televue and Pentax eyepieces were only $50 each, so she may well just "bin em" when I croak it. I am not game to tell her otherwise

Cheers
John B
Old 21-09-2021, 12:29 PM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

I am exceptionally excited for you and honestly jealous. Great scope, mirror and incredible southern skies. Can not get much better than that!

Congratulations, Enjoy!
Old 21-09-2021, 01:13 PM
m11 (Mel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausastronomer View Post
I told my wife that all my Televue and Pentax eyepieces were only $50 each, so she may well just "bin em" when I croak it. I am not game to tell her otherwise

Cheers
John B
Haha too funny John. I am in the same boat as well. The wife complains there seems to be more legs sticking out of the tarp over all the scopes.
She is not my biggest fan of this hobby.
Old 21-09-2021, 01:16 PM
m11 (Mel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelandscott View Post
I am exceptionally excited for you and honestly jealous. Great scope, mirror and incredible southern skies. Can not get much better than that!

Congratulations, Enjoy!
Thanks.

Yah, I feel super lucky and privileged to own some nice scopes and get them in my lifetime when I can still use them.

I am hopeful I can share the view with others when the scope comes.
Old 22-09-2021, 01:02 AM
Bobbyoutback

Hi Mel ,
Been a long time coming ' I'm getting excited for you as it gets closer .
Thanks for your help in the past .

Regards
Bobby
Old 22-09-2021, 08:12 AM
m11 (Mel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyoutback View Post
Hi Mel ,
Been a long time coming ' I'm getting excited for you as it gets closer .
Thanks for your help in the past .

Regards
Bobby
Hey Bobby,
Many thanks buddy and yah its been a decent wait but I think its definitely worth it.
Thank you to you for your friendship and help likewise.
Old 22-09-2021, 10:07 PM
Bobbyoutback

The MS mirror 12" F6.3

Mel ' that scope will probably show contrast detail far above it's aperture , on a night of great seeing you & those lucky enough to view through it will see
sublime planetary detail !

How good I'd say even better then ( Schiaparelli scope ) http://www.brera.inaf.it/schiaparell.../S_Bianchi.pdf

The adventure continues
Bobby
Old 23-09-2021, 07:54 AM
m11 (Mel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyoutback View Post
Mel ' that scope will probably show contrast detail far above it's aperture , on a night of great seeing you & those lucky enough to view through it will see
sublime planetary detail !

How good I'd say even better then ( Schiaparelli scope ) http://www.brera.inaf.it/schiaparell.../S_Bianchi.pdf

The adventure continues
Bobby
Hey Bobby,

I am super keen to get that scope built with the 12inch Mark Suchting mirror I acquired last year. I have had it recoated as well.

I haven't looked with the mirror but just based on reputation I am comfortable it should be awesome.

Thank you for the link - interesting read on the Italian Astronomy observatory and scope.

Will keep you posted on how it goes.
Old 23-09-2021, 09:26 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Hi All,

Its been awhile but my 24inch f/4 CZ quartz mirror is ready and coated.

Pete has finished the build for the SDM scope as well.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/7...-90-is-coming/

Depending on the Vic Covid roadmap -delivery for early November.
I am super excited for it to finally come together and arrive nearly 3 years exactly when I ordered both mirror and scope.

Mel
Well that's exciting!...would loooooooooooooooooove to have it up at Eagleview for a few days over a new moon ..maybe if the World ever settles down you could do a road trip!

In the meantime, have fun! the views through a 24" under really dark Bortle 1 skies, is utterly jaw dropping! ..I know, I have done it a couple'a times and even with an almost identical SDM (24" F4.2)

Mike
Old 23-09-2021, 09:53 AM
m11 (Mel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Well that's exciting!...would loooooooooooooooooove to have it up at Eagleview for a few days over a new moon ..maybe if the World ever settles down you could do a road trip!

In the meantime, have fun! the views through a 24" under really dark Bortle 1 skies, is utterly jaw dropping! ..I know, I have done it a couple'a times and even with an almost identical SDM (24" F4.2)

Mike
Hi Mike,

Thanks , I am super excited to get the scope soon.
Haha it sounds like a plan I would love to take the scope to Bortle 1 skies, it would be a life changing experience that you not forgot. It will be I would think a surreal experience.

Congratulations on your Eagleview property, what a place to spend to view the night sky and call it your own. That is something many of us are still trying to achieve but you have done it.

Yah, delivery of the 14.5" SDM was delayed last year by 3 months due to Covid restrictions. To date and hoping it holds, Covid restrictions will delay the 24" by only a month this time.

Mel

Last edited by m11; 23-09-2021 at 01:08 PM.
Old 23-09-2021, 12:49 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Congratulations on your Eagleview property, what a place to spend to view the night sky and call it your own. That is something many of us are still trying to achieve but you have done it.
Mel
Equally, many of us would love a big SDM too , so, that bit you have achieved (four times even, by the looks?!)..hard to know which is the greater achievement really, 100 remote acres, at nearly 5000ft with Bortle 1 skies, or four magnificent SDM scopes!?? ...we definitely need to join forces some time

Mike
Old 23-09-2021, 01:17 PM
m11 (Mel)

Quote:
Equally, many of us would love a big SDM too , so, that bit you have achieved (four times even, by the looks?!)..hard to know which is the greater achievement really, 100 remote acres, at nearly 5000ft with Bortle 1 skies, or four magnificent SDM scopes!?? ...we definitely need to join forces some time

Mike

Lol yah, to be honest I didn't think I could ever get one, amazing what with a bit of motivation does. The 18" and 12" were opportunistic as I never planned to get additional SDM scopes due to cost and level of commitment but the craftsmanship and quality stands out.
I am sure alot of my viewing buddies think I am totally nuts.

That has got to be your next goal to acquire some nice large aperture scopes to enjoy

I reckon the 100 remote acres trumps any other achievements - it would be the pinnacle and golden dream for any amateur astronomer to have such an amazing place to view through.
I would love something similar and then the wife brings me back down to Earth about the viability.

Haha yah for sure, definitely sounds like a plan. It would be amazing scope viewing experience under your pristine skies.
Which scopes do you like using at your place?

I am in the process of working on a saving for a 22inch binoscope as well but this is a longer term goal.

Mel

Last edited by m11; 24-09-2021 at 09:02 AM.
Old 23-09-2021, 01:46 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
I am sure a lot of my viewing buddies think I am totally nuts.
Nuts??...nah, one can never have enough scopes....

Quote:
That has got to be your next goal to acquire some nice large aperture scopes to enjoy
Oh I would love one and it's a 24" F4 that I think would satisfy me

Quote:
I reckon the 100 remote acres trumps any other achievements - it would be the pinnacle and golden dream for any amateur astronomer to have such an amazing place to view through. I would love something similar and then the wife brings me back down to Earth about the viability.
I never in my wildest dreams imagined I would come into possession of such a property/location, it's truly humbling, exciting and even a little daunting, all at once..like I've been given a once in a few 1000 lifetimes, chance, so don't let it go to waste or worse fugg it up! I recall when we arrived at the very first and only open house inspection (along with dozens of other hopeful purchasers), my wife got out of the car, walked around a bit, then came over to me and with out me saying a single word, said "Yeah, OK, you can have it" she then proceeded to film a 360 panorama with her I-Phone and when she got around to me in the panning said on camera "So? do I get a massage when I get home?" to which I replied "Yep..." remember we had been looking for the right place for about 4 years!

Quote:
Haha yah for sure, definitely sounds like a plan. It would be amazing scope viewing experience under your pristine skies. Which scopes do you like using at your place?
I use a 12" F4.9 GOTO Skywatcher flex tube Dobsonian. The views are really great but given how good they are just makes me long for some real aperture

Quote:
I am in the process of working on a saving for a 22inch binoscope as well but this is a longer term goal.
Of course you are! ...talk about having dreams! I like it! I viewed through Mark Suchtings 10" (or perhaps 12"..I can't recall which) binocular scope at IISAC 2007 and the views were amazing, felt more like I was looking through a traditional single eye 18"-20" Dob but with a 3D effect.

Mike
Old 23-09-2021, 02:16 PM
m11 (Mel)

Haha I totally agree - its only when you run out of space then you wonder if you need another room or garage to fit more scopes.

"Oh I would love one and it's a 24" F4 that I think would satisfy me"

You would make full use of a 24" f/4 for sure at your place. The view would be spectacular and you would have a nightly surreal experiences.
The timeframe to wait for a large mirror is decent and Carl wasn't as keen to make a 24inch any more when I was talking to him in November 2018. I believe Carl has taken off mirrors larger than 20" off his site now.

I am in true awe of the place you have acquired and also having wife approval as well. You are truly lucky to have found such an amazing place, speaks to true dedication to have that focus and drive for 4 years to find such a place.
You are one lucky guy for sure!

Ohh nice - that is a nice scope , I view with my buddy who has the same scope and we have a great time with it.

"Of course you are! ...talk about having dreams! I like it! I viewed through Mark Suchtings 10" (or perhaps 12"..I can't recall which) binocular scope at IISAC 2007 and the views were amazing, felt more like I was looking through a traditional single eye 18"-20" Dob but with a 3D effect."

Haha thanks
That would be amazing to view through, you have viewed through more scopes than I think.
Do you remember which objects really stood out for you through the binocular scope?

Mel
Old 23-09-2021, 03:21 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Do you remember which objects really stood out for you through the binocular scope?

Mel
Everything looked clearer and brighter than you would expect, easier to see. I recall globular clusters looked like they were 3D, hovering in space, like big, obviously spherical, balls of stars...funny that, huh?..just like they should Viewing comfort was excellent with both eyes open too. A pair of 20" bino dobs on a sturdy motorised omni directional GOTO chair, would be the ultimate viewing experience I recon.

Mike
Old 23-09-2021, 05:02 PM
m11 (Mel)

Quote:
Everything looked clearer and brighter than you would expect, easier to see. I recall globular clusters looked like they were 3D, hovering in space, like big, obviously spherical, balls of stars...funny that, huh?..just like they should Viewing comfort was excellent with both eyes open too. A pair of 20" bino dobs on a sturdy motorised omni directional GOTO chair, would be the ultimate viewing experience I recon.

Mike
Many thanks for sharing your experience. I really like globular clusters so thats awesome to hear they really stood out.

That would be cool, I saw this video on the Hubble Optics site that would be cool to have.

https://youtu.be/akFaEhcuHcQ
Old 23-09-2021, 07:29 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

Mel, do you mind me asking if you do, or did, (or plan to do) a lot of outreach work? Being more than a bit jealous, and certainly not critical, but you seem to have more scopes, and bloody good ones at that, than a modest telescope shop!