Old 28-05-2010, 06:45 AM
hotspur (Chris)

cable release for 50D

Hi folks.

I just bought a new 50D yesterday,its wonderful.One thing I have noticed is the cable release plug is a different size to the 450D,can anyone advise me on what I need to get???,I use cable release,and its button release on a few different projects,I prefer it it to the remote control.

Any help at all would be appreciated,thanks
Old 28-05-2010, 07:01 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Chris

Well, you big spender you!

If the 50D is like the 40D, then it will likely use the Canon proprietary N3 connector. I have the plain remote release RS80N3 and the interval timer TC80N3 as well.

Congratulations on the new 50D!

Cheers

Dennis

PS - Here's the link to DDP - scroll down the web page:

http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/canonlenses.htm
Old 28-05-2010, 07:17 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

If budget is an issue (the Canon remotes are not cheap), there are 3rd party timer remotes on eBay that work extremely well. I've got the Aputure one, it has all the features of the Canon timer remote. Search around eBay for Aputure timer remotes, just make sure it has the N3 connector. I know there's a few others here that have the same one and it's great.
Old 28-05-2010, 04:22 PM
madwayne (Wayne)

Hi Chris

Have you tried the USB cable and the Canon utility software? Assuming you use a laptop in the field of course. Otherwise a TC80N3 will do the job.

Good luck with the 50D, mighty fine camera even if I do say so myself.

Wayne
Old 28-05-2010, 04:32 PM
hotspur (Chris)

re cable release

Thanks Wayne,Dennis and Troy.

Yes Troy,Dennis told me about the canon product for this job and It certainly sounded expensive,He also mention the 'Knock off' alternative.

it sounds like it does the job very well,and easy on the pocket.

Yes, Wayne I do use the cable release,via laptop in the observatory for astro photography,However- there are some missions,that I do'nt have the lap top,and travel into the field very lightly equiped,it is for such jobs I require the kit that Troy and Dennis mention.

I have a remote button thing,but it rather fiddly and unreliable,and frequently miss place it.

Ok,thanks again,I will check the links and go forward.

regards Chris
Old 29-05-2010, 06:38 PM
acropolite (Phil)

+1 for the Aputure / clone product, does everything you could want.

Link delight have them for $28 including post, you really can't go wrong at that price. FWIW I've bought many times from Link Delight, good prices quick service.
Old 31-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Manav (Yugant)
Resident Rigel fanboy

So you finally ended up getting it! Congrats
Old 31-05-2010, 03:06 PM
hotspur (Chris)

re cable release

Thank you Yugant-yes I was pleased to get it!,it looks and feels wonderful,I have only done basic tests to see it all works,_ I didthe long exp bulb shots-everything appeared as it should--less noise than XXXd series,did a few fiddles to find functions all works.I dont think there is much difference in the quality of photos between it and 45Od ,But its the fine subtles that make the difference in the field more enjoyable-and thus more like to get the photo one wants-AV always a pain to switch the settings in 450D on this baby I can change AV with wheel,and time of exp with wheel at top,without taking my eye away from view finder,thats a plus,also the iso settings are closer space increments-thats useful,so yes,really pleased with the more sophisticated features,individually the dont sound much but add it adds up to be a big plus.

Thanks Phil,for link,that is very useful.How does Ebay worK,I have never delt with it much? I cant quite understand it_the link you sent me to,is that like a shop?,can I pay with mastercard,or do I need to get 'PayPal". How does one get on the Pay Pal train?

I think a astro buddy is coming up in two weeks,I might get him to purchase it and bring it up,(can you help me David Trap)thanks,cheers Chris
Old 31-05-2010, 04:01 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Chris, you can sign up for a paypal account, you'll also need to sign up for an ebay account both are free, you have to hand over your credit card details though for the paypal account or some people link to a bank account and only leave a small amount in the account.

Most ebay sellers also accept direct deposit, if you're comfortable with Paypal that's the best way to go because they offer buyer protection as part of the service.
Old 31-05-2010, 04:35 PM
hotspur (Chris)

re cable purchased

Ok,Phil -thanks for that,I have opened up a bank account,specifically for internet transactions,only putting just enough in it for a internet purchase,I thinks its called a visa debt card,and I used It last week to buy the 50.

I was'nt sure about paypal and how to get it going,but will look into it,and connected to that account,thanks for advice.

They seem to have shops on ebay,like the one you pointed me to,I hope to give it a go,using the shop set up.

Dont think I would do too many transactions on certain parts of ebay,Jason lost a large sum of money on it,for a lens that was a hoax.

thanks again Phil,regards Chris
Old 31-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Nifty (Nev)

Chris
Have you tried www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au
I have found them OK
Nev
Old 31-05-2010, 07:10 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Don't think I would do too many transactions on certain parts of ebay,
Chris, don't be scared of eBay; feedback ratings are a good indicator of a dealers reliability, most of the dealers I buy from have positive feedback ratings in the thousands, close to 100% positive and are highly unlikely to be dishonest.

It's the low rating sellers and private sellers that are the ones to watch. The old saying that if a deal looks too good to be true then it probably is.

I avoid second hand lenses, simply because they sell for prices that are almost as expensive as new.

Don't be put off by the odd negative feedback, you can't always please everyone, but do read through at least some of the feedback.
Old 31-05-2010, 07:43 PM
Astrobserver99 (Rob)
Starlit Night

A fully programmable timer remote is available from Satechi, they are only about $60.00 - from Amazon or Satechi.com. I have one and its a treat to use...
Old 01-06-2010, 03:29 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Re cable release

Thanks Rob and Phil and others.

A friend coming up to 'new moon' nights has ordered the cable release,from the link the at previous poster supplied,It was the canon
"look a like" product for $28 includes postage from H.K.I could'nt get over how much it looked liked the canon one!,and the price difference!this IIS
has really saved me some money.thank you!.Hopefully the item will arrive before next weekend.

Yes,Rob,getting more savie with this computer buying bit,I got the 50D from 'electronic Castle' in H.K,delivered for $950,less than 48 hrs to country QLD,best sevice I have had from any camera outlet,the reasonable price was just a bonus.I'd buy from them again,evern if the price was dearer.(it took 5 days to get parcels from Gold Coast mob,and they always looked liked they had been in a war zone by the time the got to me.)

So,just about got all pieces of this Camera jig-saw all together!,I am hopping all this kit,will be it now-and no more reading reviews on internet-time to get out enjoy and use!

thanks again for everyone's help.

regards Chris