Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography

Old 26-10-2017, 12:33 PM
jasonr

Astrophotography on a Budget - I really hope this helps.

I do not know if this will help anyone out there. I wanted to get into astrophotography for years….and I mean years. The problem was that I thought the only way to get those amazing shots was with all the super expensive equipment. I did a lot of research, spoke to countless people at star parties. Knowing my own budget and seeing all the expensive setups was discouraging. I visited and discussed options with different telescope manufactures. Finally went into the Orion Cupertino store and spoke with the store manager, Ken. I finally got the Orion Sky View Pro mount with motor drives (non-goto) and purchased a $20 lens off of eBay. I have been extremely happy with my set up and have taken some pretty amazing shots. I am an educator by trade and would like to share my experience with everyone. I hope someone out there can benefit from this video. If at a minimum it encourages someone on the fence to take the plunge into AP then it was worth the effort of making the video.

Old 26-10-2017, 12:59 PM
bojan
amateur

Hi Jason,
Welcome to the forum!

What you have shown us in your video is no-nonsense, down-to-earth and affordable approach to AP - I myself started in similar way, and I am still using as simple as possible equipment... I hate to carry too much stuff to remote locations.
The only issue for me (and most of us in OZ in general) is the use of laser.. I prefer red dot finder as non-invasive and legal here.
Old 27-10-2017, 07:22 AM
jasonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
Hi Jason,
Welcome to the forum!

What you have shown us in your video is no-nonsense, down-to-earth and affordable approach to AP - I myself started in similar way, and I am still using as simple as possible equipment... I hate to carry too much stuff to remote locations.
The only issue for me (and most of us in OZ in general) is the use of laser.. I prefer red dot finder as non-invasive and legal here.
Hello,

I’m glad you enjoyed the video. Yes, I may move to using the red dot even though the green laser is ok in California. I prefer to be less invasive in our sky’s. AP is a great hobby!

Best regards,
Jason
Old 28-10-2017, 12:25 PM
DarkKnight (Kev)

Hi Jason,

I can totally relate to what you are doing with your astrophotography.

I'm a keen photographer who became interested in photographing nightscapes and a few of the more visible nebula. I started looking at the mount that you have and before I knew it I'd been sucked into the gear acquisition vortex, with my supposed needs and their associated costs spiralling out of control.

First an upgraded EQ6, not terribly portable as I have to leave home to see more than the odd patch of sky, and more recently an HEQ5 Pro, which I'm selling, more portable, but the add-ons were getting out of control.

A month or so back I had a serious talk to myself and tried to re-asses just what I wanted from my astro photography. And I came back to what I said above, "photographing nightscapes and a few of the more visible nebula." For that I don't need a GoTo mount, guiding, and a 'scope costing thousands of dollars.

To that end I've picked up a Star Adventurer, highly portable and user friendly. I'm now looking forward to getting out there instead of finding excuses not to pack forty-odd Kgs of gear into my ute.

Of course in the two weeks that I've had it the clouds have rolled in so I haven't tried it in anger yet, but have familiarised myself with it indoors and found I needed a couple of cheap extras for the polar 'scope that will aid my usage, an adapter to stabilise the illuminator and a right- angle viewfinder. Fingers crossed the weather man is right and I'll get first light in a couple of days.

My wide angle lens had a whoopsie a while back, chipping the front element and possible de-centering some elements, so when the HEQ5 sells I'll probably get a Samyang 12mm f2.8, a stereographic lens that should be good for the Milky Way and nebula, and with 180° FOV I can crop the fuzzy edges.

I can also relate to the 'noises in the night' bit in your video as I was at a local dam recently for a Milky Way shoot with reflections in the dam but got so spooked by some strange noises that I packed up and bolted. I kept thinking about the supposed sighting of a panther not far from where I was and the eradication program for packs of feral dogs in the area.

I'm hoping to return to the area in the next day or so but I'll take my minder with me, Roxi the Staffy.
Old 16-11-2017, 02:50 PM
jasonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight View Post
Hi Jason,

I can totally relate to what you are doing with your astrophotography.

I'm a keen photographer who became interested in photographing nightscapes and a few of the more visible nebula. I started looking at the mount that you have and before I knew it I'd been sucked into the gear acquisition vortex, with my supposed needs and their associated costs spiralling out of control.

First an upgraded EQ6, not terribly portable as I have to leave home to see more than the odd patch of sky, and more recently an HEQ5 Pro, which I'm selling, more portable, but the add-ons were getting out of control.

A month or so back I had a serious talk to myself and tried to re-asses just what I wanted from my astro photography. And I came back to what I said above, "photographing nightscapes and a few of the more visible nebula." For that I don't need a GoTo mount, guiding, and a 'scope costing thousands of dollars.

To that end I've picked up a Star Adventurer, highly portable and user friendly. I'm now looking forward to getting out there instead of finding excuses not to pack forty-odd Kgs of gear into my ute.

Of course in the two weeks that I've had it the clouds have rolled in so I haven't tried it in anger yet, but have familiarised myself with it indoors and found I needed a couple of cheap extras for the polar 'scope that will aid my usage, an adapter to stabilise the illuminator and a right- angle viewfinder. Fingers crossed the weather man is right and I'll get first light in a couple of days.

My wide angle lens had a whoopsie a while back, chipping the front element and possible de-centering some elements, so when the HEQ5 sells I'll probably get a Samyang 12mm f2.8, a stereographic lens that should be good for the Milky Way and nebula, and with 180° FOV I can crop the fuzzy edges.

I can also relate to the 'noises in the night' bit in your video as I was at a local dam recently for a Milky Way shoot with reflections in the dam but got so spooked by some strange noises that I packed up and bolted. I kept thinking about the supposed sighting of a panther not far from where I was and the eradication program for packs of feral dogs in the area.

I'm hoping to return to the area in the next day or so but I'll take my minder with me, Roxi the Staffy.
Thank you for watching. Looks like I found a fantastic group to be a part of here. The enthusiasm I see in the posts is inspiring. Looks like you have a very interesting story to tell. Try making a video about your mount and gear. I would like to see it! Best regards, Jason