Old 03-06-2016, 07:54 AM
garymck (Gary)

Approaches to cable management?

Hi,

I've recently switched OTA's on my obs mounted G11. I now have my C11 ota with Starizona reducer corrector mounted. This has now made cable management critical- since imaging at 2.1 metres takes no prisoners.

I am getting small unpredictable jumps in tracking that I've been able to pin down to dangling cables and I'm wondering what approaches people take to minimise this effect? My QHY9 has a very stiff power lead that seems to be a fair bit of the problem.

In the long term I will replace most cables as I'll attach a Rapberry Pi to the ota with pretty much everything attached to it and run remotely using Ekos/Indi with only minimal cables running to power etc.

My issue is how to route the cables best until this can be done...Bind them together? Run them separately? etc

Your experience welcomed...

cheers
Gary
Old 03-06-2016, 08:48 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Bring them together as close to the pivot point of the mount as possible. I track all my cables back to the dovetail area then down the pier. Reduces leverage as it moves.
Also keep data away from power, I run power up the east side and data on west. With stiff cables you may need to run a loop back at centre so it can move more.. Looks messy but takes the pressure off.