Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 19-10-2021, 06:21 PM
Sitt (Simon)

Something to add to my earlier post. I’m noticing an increase in HFR with the EAF over my Sesto, not sure if that’s because the EAF is connected to the course focuser or not but not has a great deal of time to confirm this due to the weather
Old 19-10-2021, 06:45 PM
AdamJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitt View Post
I own an Espirit 120 with a Sesto Senso 2 fitted to it but suffered slippage i.e. when you pull the focuser all the way in to the 0 position the Senso seldom managed to fully reach the 0 position leaving around 10-15mm left on the draw tube. I sent several emails off to SkyWatcher in the US and they recon my slippage was caused by the Senso being fitted to the micro-focuser side rather than the course side of the focuser. They recommended either the ZWO EAF or Optec SWX30. I went with the EAF which appears to have fixed my slippage issues. Just something to keep in mind with the Sesto.
Interesting. I've never parked my SS2 at 0. I always park it at 100 which from memory is about 10-15mm.
It could be the grub screws were slipping on bushing. I know that if you take the SS2 on and off a lot, over time you'll get slipping because the grubs will create multiple holes in the bushing.
Old 19-10-2021, 06:59 PM
Sitt (Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
Interesting. I've never parked my SS2 at 0. I always park it at 100 which from memory is about 10-15mm.
It could be the grub screws were slipping on bushing. I know that if you take the SS2 on and off a lot, over time you'll get slipping because the grubs will create multiple holes in the bushing.
I flattened one side of the micro focuser shaft with a file to help stop slippage and help the grub screw to hold better so that wasn’t the issue. Not sure if my Sesto was faulty or not but when pulling the draw tube in it seldom finished at the same position even though the app told me it was at the zero position. Tried recalibrating numerous times too but still same issue
Old 19-10-2021, 07:06 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evltoy View Post
Yes, I know of the lock screw to fix the draw tube in place after focus. I would expect this will need to be removed when using the EAF of auto focusing

My issue was slipping while trying to focus. Especially when pointing 70-90deg.
Without seeing your specific focuser, there will be tension screws of some sort, probably grub screws that you will need a small allan key for.

On my old Evostar 72 I actually used the focus lock screw hole as one of the EAF bracket mounts.
Old 20-10-2021, 06:57 PM
Drac0 (Mark)

I just setup the ZWO AEF on my new refractor & I'll say one thing for it - compared to the Celestron on my C8 it is silent! Probably due a lot to how much less torque the focuser needs on the refractor but DAMN!
Old 20-10-2021, 08:01 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Yeah, the Celestron motor I used to have on my old C925 sounded like a coffee grinder. Nothing wrong with it, they are just a noisy bit of kit.

Simon, there is no reason the EAF should give you larger HFR, the movements it can generate are tiny. The focusing steps on my SVX80T are more or less invisible without looking at the 10:1 knob.
Old 21-10-2021, 08:02 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks to everyone who contributed as I have learnt so much. I have emailed John at Bintel with an enquiry because my voice is such calling in person would probably have me not being understood but the condition comes and goes so if I get a window of being able to be comprehended I will call because John is so very helpful and we do seem to get on so well.
Big day today if the weather holds..we will (me watching) set up genny with the old battery charger from the house and Earth it, and start rebuilding the jetty mainly to provide a platform for the fire pump.
Alex
Old 21-10-2021, 09:18 AM
Drac0 (Mark)

Don't push yourself too hard Alex.

Whichever focuser option you go with they are easy to install & there are a number of good videos about installing on the RASA. Good luck with it. Next time I'm up that way (maybe next year sometime) I might see about calling in, just to check out the RASA - expect a week of rain about that time.

Cheers,
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Thanks to everyone who contributed as I have learnt so much. I have emailed John at Bintel with an enquiry because my voice is such calling in person would probably have me not being understood but the condition comes and goes so if I get a window of being able to be comprehended I will call because John is so very helpful and we do seem to get on so well.
Big day today if the weather holds..we will (me watching) set up genny with the old battery charger from the house and Earth it, and start rebuilding the jetty mainly to provide a platform for the fire pump.
Alex
Old 23-10-2021, 06:08 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drac0 View Post
Don't push yourself too hard Alex.

Whichever focuser option you go with they are easy to install & there are a number of good videos about installing on the RASA. Good luck with it. Next time I'm up that way (maybe next year sometime) I might see about calling in, just to check out the RASA - expect a week of rain about that time.

Cheers,
Mark
Hi Mark
I have now looked at a few videos on youtube and it certainly seems that the installation is not difficult at all.

Happily for what ever reason when I woke up this morning my voice was terrific, well compared to what it was only days ago and it actually improved during the day, so, around 4-30pm I phoned John at Bintel and had a great chat with him, even though still rather ordinary in the voice department, but as I said better than only days earlier, and got around finally to business and placed my order for a focuser, the "bracket" , and the hand control and temperature sensor.

I notice that you are a relatively new member and so may not realise that I am basically a hermit type and although on here seemingly very social in the real world I can't stand visitors, even my children and grand children do not visit...my cancer situation has changed things a little in so far as I had to live with my daughter and my ex who is my carer thru the medical stuff and indeed my children had to visit, because hearing I had cancer they wanted to see me before I peg out I guess..I understood and did not object to their visit.
I did not enjoy the experience... I mean its bad enough for me when I am fit but being crook it was very hard to get thru.... so I hope you understand in turning you away from a visit it is nothing personal even if it is only to visit the RASA

Thanks again for you comments I found them very reassuring.

Alex
Old 23-10-2021, 05:51 PM
Drac0 (Mark)

No worries Alex - I understand that feeling too well. You just take it easy & good luck with everything.