Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-09-2021, 11:23 PM
WattleHill

Looking at a Lunt Solar Scope

Hi everyone,

Firstly, please excure my ignorance when it comes to dedicated HA scopes as I'm still trying to understand the terminology.

I'm looking at purchasing a Lunt HA scope and cannot decide on whether I go for a 50mm double stacked or 60mm single stack.

My understanding is that the double stack will bring out more detail? but is this at the expense of aperture?

I see Andrews Comms has both models I'm interested in:

1. LS50THa/B1200/PT 50mm f/7 PRESSURE TUNED* = $2499 AUD

2. LS60THa/B1200C/PT PRESSURE TUNED = $3499 AUD

Has anyone had any experiences with either of these models?

I notice that there is reference to a 4.5mm image. I presume that is prior to the eyepiece?

Finally the blocking filter is 6mm (50mm) compared to 12mm (60mm). Can someone explain if this will be a noticeable difference in the image I will see?

Thanks in advance.
Stephen
Old 27-09-2021, 11:44 PM
m11 (Mel)

Hi Stephen,

I would suggest going for the largest single stack you can get. You can always double stack at a later date.

The double stack does enhance the surface and disc details but the cost is significant as you have found. It reduces the angstrom, the Lunt site goes through this and alot of other factors:

https://luntsolarsystems.com/a-simpl...ar-telescopes/

I had the lunt 60mm and still have the lunt 100mm double stack. I got both my Lunts from Andrews Communication, they were great to deal with.

The larger blocking filter means more space around the sun.

Mel

Last edited by m11; 30-09-2021 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:32 PM
WattleHill

Quote:
Originally Posted by m11 View Post
Hi Stephen,

I would suggest going for the largest single stack you can get. You can always double stack at a later date.

The double stack does enhance the surface and disc details but the cost is significant as you have found. It reduces the angstrom, the Lunt site goes through this and alot of other factors:

https://luntsolarsystems.com/a-simpl...ar-telescopes/

I had the lunt 60mm and still have the lunt 100mm double stack. I got both my Lunts from Andrews Communication, they were great to deal with.

The larger blocking filter means more space around the sun.

Mel

Thanks Mel and sorry for the delay in responding.

Thanks for the advice. I am trying to acquire a 60mm now! I don;t like my chances for this Summer however.
Old 06-10-2021, 08:03 PM
Sitt (Simon)

Not sure what these Daystars are like compared to Lunts but I know the Daystar Quarks have a good rap and these Solar Scouts have a built in Quark.
https://www.testar.com.au/products/d...lpha-telescope
Old 07-10-2021, 03:59 PM
m11 (Mel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WattleHill View Post
Thanks Mel and sorry for the delay in responding.

Thanks for the advice. I am trying to acquire a 60mm now! I don;t like my chances for this Summer however.

Hi Stephen,

No need to apologise at all

Hopefully you can get one soon.

I have had both the Coronado tilt tuned solar scopes and Lunt PT, I personally prefer the view in the Lunt PT.

I am still learning as well for myself, personally I find viewing the sun quite fun as its quite dynamic.

I still regret selling my Lunt 60mm PT as I sold it cheap including a feathertouch focuser and the tripod with the scope.

On the other hand when I got my Lunt 100mm - I didn't put in the double stack module (Internal module) - I was in awe and was shocked when I saw the sun. The sun just looked so angry with all the flares and granulation I could see. I did get the Double stack module but the internal one, I heard the front etalon is better but much more expensive again.

Hope it helps,