Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 09-07-2021, 05:48 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
My wife got her way to come down here on the South Coast near the beach , but I got my Dome under Bortle 3 or so
Both happy campers
I enjoy the beach as well , still surfing at 61 , don’t like sub zero temperatures
Nice win - win Martin, especially given you are a bit of an old surfy, makes sense Me, I love the sub zero conditions...Angie, errr.. not so much...

Mike
Old 09-07-2021, 07:11 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Mike..the reason I finally did not put my last observatory on the best hill here was because we get lightning strikes here...have you thought about that at all? I looked into getting a lightening rod but found little in Australia and finally opted for a site by the dam cause there was a road and clearing...although I had to clear another couple of acres...if you notice any trees shattered that is a give away but a lightning rod is something to consider...we lost an inverter here because current ran up the old phone line and next door has lost systems because of hits...in the old place lightening got me down the phone line which was a terrible experience and left me fearing lightening.
Alex
Old 09-07-2021, 10:33 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Mike..the reason I finally did not put my last observatory on the best hill here was because we get lightning strikes here...have you thought about that at all? I looked into getting a lightening rod but found little in Australia and finally opted for a site by the dam cause there was a road and clearing...although I had to clear another couple of acres...if you notice any trees shattered that is a give away but a lightning rod is something to consider...we lost an inverter here because current ran up the old phone line and next door has lost systems because of hits...in the old place lightening got me down the phone line which was a terrible experience and left me fearing lightening.
Alex
Good point Alex.

No phone or electricity lines to this place I think the key is not to leave anything plugged into a mains network...then it is up to the gods, if a nearby lighting strike induces a current in some cables..oh well, deal with it then I guess...

Mike
Old 12-07-2021, 08:10 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Another amazing discovery...

Last weekend was so transparent at Eagleview, the views through my 12" Dob were spectacular...well I just tonight downloaded some photos I took from around the property that weekend...and looking closely, I discovered this!

From the back deck I had already worked out I can spot features up to 82km away...but!...sheesh! from the middle of the 100acres, the air was just so clear, you can actually see for 100km!..and pretty clearly too!....even some snow is visible on Wesley's slopes, yeah baby! that's just fricken phenomenal!

Using a Nikon D7000 DSLR with 18-200 zoom lens, the wide angle view was shot at 18mm FL, while the close up was shot at 200mm FL, both from the same spot.

100km View

It's no Atacama...but hey, the elevation, along with the clean and crisp, transparent mountain air, still enables views out to 100km!...This place just keeps amazing me...

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (View to Wesley Mountain 100km resize.jpg)
105.1 KB96 views

Last edited by strongmanmike; 12-07-2021 at 10:06 PM.
Old 15-07-2021, 11:44 AM
keller60 (Bill)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Yes, I know I am very lucky, my wife is pretty understanding of all this astronomy palaver and while, if she had her way, we would have acquired something across from the beach, somewhere on the south coast of NSW...meah, we ended up on top of a mountain instead, much better, huh?

Mike
Congrats. My wife would not be so understanding. Are you moving there ( like Marcus ) or is this a uber dark site weekender?
Old 15-07-2021, 02:06 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keller60 View Post
Congrats. My wife would not be so understanding. Are you moving there ( like Marcus ) or is this a uber dark site weekender?
Hi Bill ...not sure, we are currently playing it by ear, seeing what it is like to live there on weekends or a few days at a time, which as you can imagine has so far been rather divine , each visit feels like we have hired some exotic Air B&B We need to assess what we need to do, how much we want to expand it (or not) what needs upgrading (eg. much of the off grid system is 13 years old)....oh and of course where the observatory (or any future astro business ie hosting/astro-getaway etc might go )

My former almost, compulsion, to image, every clear opportunity from my current observatory, has waned a little in recent weeks ...just having too much fun along this, still rather new and exciting journey ...

Mike
Old 15-07-2021, 03:47 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Mike never buy yourself work.
Do a spread sheet so you can see how much money you lose in a good year. Think of the classic retired couple who think buying a motel is a good idea.
Alex
Old 15-07-2021, 08:51 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Mike never buy yourself work.
Do a spread sheet so you can see how much money you lose in a good year. Think of the classic retired couple who think buying a motel is a good idea.
Alex
...absolutely will do Big A

Mike
Old 18-07-2021, 06:28 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Another amazing night We've had cloud and snow up here Fri/Sat and while it did clear early on the evening last night it clouded over before I could setup the 12". So since we have all the streaming services up here, it was a yummy dinner of meatballs and gnocchi watching A Quiet Place II instead and then an early night....

My wife got up at around 4am and when she came back to bed, I was awake and she mentioned it was crystal clear outside and she had just been enjoying the views of heaps of stars out the windows and that it was a beautiful sight

Soooo I just had to get up and take a look....WELL!!, not turning any white lights on, in order to keep my perfect dark adaption and slipping into some boots and donning my big warm jacket (-3C outside) I'm bloody well glad I did!! ...WOW! Walking out and away from the house...what a sight to behold overhead! A huge dark sky full of stars how can one ever get sick of seeing such a sight Looking South, which remember is clear and unobstructed out to over 80km I noticed what looked like thin cloud hugging the whole southern horizon.. but there must be a gap in this cloud..?.. because I could see Crux, very bright and pointing vertically, right at the bottom of it's circumpolar path ....aaaah then it dawned on me ..that's the bloody Milky Way! ..looking South, it was stretched right around and hugging the horizon from West to South to East, I could see the Sagittarius star clouds and tail of Scorpius, sitting just above the western horizon, and remarkably, clear Milky Way, extending through Centaurus, Crux and Carina, right around to Orion, which was rising in the East, bloody awesome! Then with the two bright Magellanic Clouds sitting above this horizontal Milky Way and the half dozen twinkling lights of Cooma, visible on the horizon, 55km away, like a small man made constellation of it's own, what an incredible scene!...I have never had such a southern view, spread out in front of me like this before

Even though it was only a handful of deg above the southern horizon, one star (Mag 5.4) was still visible in the Coal Sack! but although it is visible when Crux is high, I couldn't quite convince myself of the second, Mag 6.6 star, maybe in exceptional seeing..? ..but sheesh!!, being able to easily see a mag 5.4 star so close to the horizon?..I'll take that any day and that's some mighty clean air and dark sky right there The glow of Canberra to the North was only modest to negligible, it's very faintest outer extremities, naked eye, extending no more than 30deg up into the blackness of the rest of the sky, then there was a distinct dark gap and then this brighter strip..?...huh? What's that?...Aaaah of course, the Zodiacal light!

I spent some time in the freezing conditions, walking around checking out this spectacular vista overhead from different spots that I have in mind for the future observatory, it was mildly windy too, so I was able to evaluate and compare spots with and without wind protection.

Eventually as the first vestiges of the coming dawn started to appear, the brisk conditions had me longing for a hot cupper by the fire inside Still, a simple experience like this, even after nearly 40 years of observing under some great skies...was still memorable ....and to think this spot is mine ..not a friends, not a clubs..it's mine, all mine ?...holy cow..

Mike

Last edited by strongmanmike; 18-07-2021 at 06:40 AM.
Old 18-07-2021, 07:03 AM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Another amazing night We've had cloud and snow up here Fri/Sat and while it did clear early on the evening last night it clouded over before I could setup the 12". So since we have all the streaming services up here, it was a yummy dinner of meatballs and gnocchi watching A Quiet Place II instead and then an early night....

My wife got up at around 4am and when she came back to bed, I was awake and she mentioned it was crystal clear outside and she had just been enjoying the views of heaps of stars out the windows and that it was a beautiful sight

Soooo I just had to get up and take a look....WELL!!, not turning any white lights on, in order to keep my perfect dark adaption and slipping into some boots and donning my big warm jacket (-3C outside) I'm bloody well glad I did!! ...WOW! Walking out and away from the house...what a sight to behold overhead! A huge dark sky full of stars how can one ever get sick of seeing such a sight Looking South, which remember is clear and unobstructed out to over 80km I noticed what looked like thin cloud hugging the whole southern horizon.. but there must be a gap in this cloud..?.. because I could see Crux, very bright and pointing vertically, right at the bottom of it's circumpolar path ....aaaah then it dawned on me ..that's the bloody Milky Way! ..looking South, it was stretched right around and hugging the horizon from West to South to East, I could see the Sagittarius star clouds and tail of Scorpius, sitting just above the western horizon, and remarkably, clear Milky Way, extending through Centaurus, Crux and Carina, right around to Orion, which was rising in the East, bloody awesome! Then with the two bright Magellanic Clouds sitting above this horizontal Milky Way and the half dozen twinkling lights of Cooma, visible on the horizon, 55km away, like a small man made constellation of it's own, what an incredible scene!...I have never had such a southern view, spread out in front of me like this before

Even though it was only a handful of deg above the southern horizon, one star (Mag 5.4) was still visible in the Coal Sack! but although it is visible when Crux is high, I couldn't quite convince myself of the second, Mag 6.6 star, maybe in exceptional seeing..? ..but sheesh!!, being able to easily see a mag 5.4 star so close to the horizon?..I'll take that any day and that's some mighty clean air and dark sky right there The glow of Canberra to the North was only modest to negligible, it's very faintest outer extremities, naked eye, extending no more than 30deg up into the blackness of the rest of the sky, then there was a distinct dark gap and then this brighter strip..?...huh? What's that?...Aaaah of course, the Zodiacal light!

I spent some time in the freezing conditions, walking around checking out this spectacular vista overhead from different spots that I have in mind for the future observatory, it was mildly windy too, so I was able to evaluate and compare spots with and without wind protection.

Eventually as the first vestiges of the coming dawn started to appear, the brisk conditions had me longing for a hot cupper by the fire inside Still, a simple experience like this, even after nearly 40 years of observing under some great skies...was still memorable ....and to think this spot is mine ..not a friends, not a clubs..it's mine, all mine ?...holy cow..

Mike
Isn't it Angie's?

And I am forever envious
Old 18-07-2021, 07:48 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
Isn't it Angie's?
...just the kitchen...
Old 18-07-2021, 09:09 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I am so very happy to read your account Mike.

You may now have some understanding of why I lived in the hill tops alone for so many years, sleeping all day and mainly coming out at night.

Why I did not need lights at night.

One thing to try, and it will blow you away if you can pull it off, is to imagine that you are standing on a sphere and somehow relate your sphere to the rest of it...when you do you are out there...part of it...the most extraordinary thing you will ever experience.

Anyways thank you sincerely for presenting such a wonderful account and sharing your joy...also you may find binos much more exciting than ever before.

Please keep your inspirational accounts coming ...it really is like being there the wonderful way you tell it.
Alex
Old 18-07-2021, 09:17 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Happy views

Hello,

Not liken' this all mine talk... need to put a kybosh on that early! After all a gift is better shared. Very smart of your missus to get you out of bed for a few hours of snoreless sleep I thought.

The weather has been horrible, we had good slushy sleet out Holt way and good snow very low down the Brindies northern slopes and up around the hills at Ginninderra Falls, I was wondering if you were up there to enjoy the weather. Nice to hear it hasn't dampened the spirits.

I was up early this morning and it looked awesome. Hopefully you get some planting ideas ready for spring if your going natural windbreaks.

Steve
Been thinking I need a nice pair of bino's as a grab option, reminded me of the link below - Once you have something similar to the setup below I'd love to know your hourly rate...
Kunho Lee + friends 20" bino
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akFaEhcuHcQ
Old 18-07-2021, 09:22 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
I am so very happy to read your account Mike.

You may now have some understanding of why I lived in the hill tops alone for so many years, sleeping all day and mainly coming out at night.

Why I did not need lights at night.

One thing to try, and it will blow you away if you can pull it off, is to imagine that you are standing on a sphere and somehow relate your sphere to the rest of it...when you do you are out there...part of it...the most extraordinary thing you will ever experience.

Anyways thank you sincerely for presenting such a wonderful account and sharing your joy...also you may find binos much more exciting than ever before.

Please keep your inspirational accounts coming ...it really is like being there the wonderful way you tell it.
Alex
Thanks so much Alex really glad you are enjoying it, IIS brethren are all I have to share this all with so thanks to those who are enjoying it......and sorry to those who are maybe rolling their eyes forgive me

Mike
Old 18-07-2021, 09:27 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mura_gadi View Post
Hello,

Not liken' this all mine talk... need to put a kybosh on that early! After all a gift is better shared. Very smart of your missus to get you out of bed for a few hours of snoreless sleep I thought.

The weather has been horrible, we had good slushy sleet out Holt way and good snow very low down the Brindies northern slopes and up around the hills at Ginninderra Falls, I was wondering if you were up there to enjoy the weather. Nice to hear it hasn't dampened the spirits.

I was up early this morning and it looked awesome. Hopefully you get some planting ideas ready for spring if your going natural windbreaks.

Steve
Been thinking I need a nice pair of bino's as a grab option, reminded me of the link below - Once you have something similar to the setup below I'd love to know your hourly rate...
Kunho Lee + friends 20" bino
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akFaEhcuHcQ
Mine!....aaaaaall MIIIINE! mu hu hu ha ha haaaaa

A big set of binos would be awesome indeed

Mike
Old 19-07-2021, 05:41 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Dont forget to look for these. ( taken 10 minutes ago ..view from my bed)
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG20210719063255_resize_22.jpg)
96.0 KB57 views
Old 19-07-2021, 09:04 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Dont forget to look for these. ( taken 10 minutes ago ..view from my bed)
Alex
That's rather lovely Alex...and from your bed too

My wife has grabbed a few already, our house is sited such that the summer sunrises will be the most accessible from there but from the middle of the 100 acres, at nearly 5000ft, the unobstructed 360deg views make it best for capturing sunrises and sunsets...just a short stroll from the house.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Sunset over the Tinderry Mountains.jpg)
118.3 KB66 views
Old 01-08-2021, 02:59 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Just got back from another wonderful 3 nights up at Eagleview.

I wanted to capture the magnificent view we have at night from inside our loungeroom, looking out the the huge glass window at the southern end of the Nissen Hut design, in a natural realistic representation that is as close to what we see in real life as possible with the lights off inside. So, this is a simple 30 sec exposure of me sitting and taking in this awe inspiring vista, with just the slow combustion fire place providing a soft red glow. It looks just like this, just minus the colour. You can see the lights of Cooma, under my right arm, 55km to the south.

Window to the Universe

For reference, this is the day time view with views out to over 80km....but we can say, quite legitimately, we actually have views out to 200,000 light years

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Window to the Universe4brightresize.jpg)
64.8 KB79 views

Last edited by strongmanmike; 02-08-2021 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-08-2021, 03:27 PM
DarkArts

Now I know the secret: first build a starship, because that's obviously the view from Ten Forward.

Old 01-08-2021, 03:29 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkArts View Post
Now I know the secret: first build a starship, because that's obviously the view from Ten Forward.

That's indeed what it feels like...I can't quite believe it really ....

Mike