Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24-05-2022, 09:48 AM
AstroOz (Chris)

NSW shooting location suggestions

I’m thinking of a solo weeklong Astro trip in August. Am thinking of some deep sky stuff from dark skies, but also some MW core landscape stuff as it sinks to the western horizon.

Anyone have any good locations to suggest? I’m thinking Sydney - Parkes - Cobar - Broken Hill, but that’s just a first idea. Am open to suggestions.
Old 24-05-2022, 09:54 AM
AdamJL

Walls of China (Mungo NP)

Milky Way shots with them in the foreground would be awesome. It's something I've planned to do for years.
Old 24-05-2022, 10:21 AM
Sunfish (Ray)

Yes I agree. Very significant ancient and indigenous history and a beautiful site even if you don’t get to see the night sky on the site. One in a million location.

Very challenging getting out to the site at night and impossible if wet at all getting to Mungo. You would need to be staying at the lodge or NP and the wildlife on the road at night is a real risk. We did manage it from the lodge but it was a challenge and I am not sure you can walk around past the car park in the dark. Who knows what you might tread on.

I am reading a book on indigenous star lore by an astrophysicist. Maybe a guide would take you at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post

Milky Way shots with them in the foreground would be awesome. It's something I've planned to do for years.
Old 24-05-2022, 10:45 AM
DeWynter (ILYA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
From my memory NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service have closed free public access to the main part of Walls of China a few years ago. You cannot leave the boardwalk and only guided tours are possible now. The only available access to the walls is on the south at the Red Top lookout.
Old 24-05-2022, 11:04 AM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

I agree, the access road is not suitable for a trip in and then out at night.

The second challenge is that access to the sacred grounds with the iconic sand and rock formations is strictly controlled. Access is generally only via guided tours. One would need to check in advance to confirm accommodation and whether a guided night time visit was possible. One cannot simply park at the interpretation centre and iconic shearing shed and then walk or drive the several kilometres meters out to the sacred grounds. At least, that’s how it was when I was there about six years ago.

Another possibility is to look up one of the many silo art trails in regional Australia. Many of the larger silos have all sorts of additional infrastructure in addition to the silos that would make for interesting foregrounds. Many also have attached caravan, RV and camper my areas nearby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
Yes I agree. Very significant ancient and indigenous history and a beautiful site even if you don’t get to see the night sky on the site. One in a million location.

Very challenging getting out to the site at night and impossible if wet at all getting to Mungo. You would need to be staying at the lodge or NP and the wildlife on the road at night is a real risk. We did manage it from the lodge but it was a challenge and I am not sure you can walk around past the car park in the dark. Who knows what you might tread on.

I am reading a book on indigenous star lore by an astrophysicist. Maybe a guide would take you at night.
Old 24-05-2022, 11:54 AM
glend (Glen)

Bretti Reserve, up the Thunderbolt Way, past Gloucester. It has been used for dark site camping for years by the Central Coast IIS members. Has toilets, at the junction of two small rivers, very dark site. Do not go during school holidays.
Shopping in Gloucester, about 35kms away. No mobile coverage the last few times I was there, but as you drive towards Gloucester you can pick up a signal.
Old 25-05-2022, 05:58 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

August? If you have good cold weather gear, I'd loop via the alps, the nights skies are clear. Any granite country around the Cooma-Monaro region can get you some awesome framing between the rocks and the trees.

Think about one good high altitude site on the trip.
Old 25-05-2022, 08:44 PM
I.C.D (Ian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroOz View Post
I’m thinking of a solo weeklong Astro trip in August. Am thinking of some deep sky stuff from dark skies, but also some MW core landscape stuff as it sinks to the western horizon.

Anyone have any good locations to suggest? I’m thinking Sydney - Parkes - Cobar - Broken Hill, but that’s just a first idea. Am open to suggestions.
Hi Chris years ago IIS used the Loststock Scout camp for our sky party ,you can camp or hire the house. You can get in connect with them through Facebook. Ian

Last edited by I.C.D; 26-05-2022 at 10:08 AM.
Old 26-05-2022, 02:06 PM
Crater101 (Warren)
Mostly Harmless

Just as something to consider...

On the Newnes Plateau, just outside of Lithgow, NSW, is the Bungleboori Campground.
https://mapcarta.com/N1811163549
There's not much in the way of facilities, but there are some nice flat open areas nearby, and through the week the campground doesn't see much in the way of people. On the weekends though, it's a haven for the 4WD crowd and dirt bike yobbos.
Just a thought.
Old 26-05-2022, 03:02 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Cool

Pigeon View.

Last edited by RB; 26-05-2022 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Edited out the silly photo, please don't post that again. RB
Old 27-05-2022, 02:02 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Pigeon View.

Last edited by RB; Yesterday at 04:04 PM. Reason: Edited out the silly photo, please don't post that again. RB
You mean this one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Baby-Pigeons-Nesting-min.jpg)
33.0 KB40 views
Old 27-05-2022, 02:57 PM
By.Jove (Jove)

Top of Bald Rock (near Tenterfield). There's a campground at the base of it, and I think there's no reason why you couldn't be on the top at night - though I'd say stay there till light to walk down. Some excellent huge granite marbles you could put in the foreground.

Last edited by By.Jove; 27-05-2022 at 04:46 PM.
Old 28-05-2022, 07:55 AM
glend (Glen)

Lake Glenbawn dam campground, North East of Scone. No light pollution, and far enough out of Scone to escape it from there. Big camping location, and hot showers. I stayed there several years ago with my son, and my 16" Dob. Not to far away really but beautiful country around there.
Stay away at Easter Holidays, when the ski boat crowd from Newcastle take over, and bring their big area LED lights, but this applies to most camp grounds within a days drive of Sydney or Newcastle.
Best time for Any of the mentioned locations is likely mid-winter (June-August).
Old 31-05-2022, 05:08 PM
Craig_

Piggy backing on this - anyone know some good spots in Sydney to image from? Primary consideration being no bright floodlights or anything, and no reason for other people to be there with cars etc after dark.
Old 31-05-2022, 06:47 PM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_ View Post
Piggy backing on this - anyone know some good spots in Sydney to image from? Primary consideration being no bright floodlights or anything, and no reason for other people to be there with cars etc after dark.
Craig,

read this thread https://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/...d.php?t=129464