Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2022, 02:10 PM
poider (Peter)

How wide is wide enough

Strange question but I am curious to know what people consider to be the minimum distance between tripod feet?
I currently have pavers set in the backyard that have holes drilled for my tripod, the holes are set in a triangle that is 1.5m x 1.5m x 1.5m.
If I set the tripod at 1m x 1m x 1m it is perfect for my eye height but I am worried it will be too unstable for my scope and Camera set up, so is there a formula or a dimension that is too unstable?
Thank you
Peter
Old 12-02-2022, 02:28 PM
By.Jove (Jove)

Set it up... test and see if it will topple if you give it a good nudge, or not.

If its unstable, set the legs wider... the downside being the scope will be lower, and the backend might bump into the legs.

If you want to stop it toppling, install a paver with an eye-bolt under the tripod centre, then fit a strap from that up to the underside of the tripod head to tie it down.
Old 12-02-2022, 06:56 PM
Drac0 (Mark)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poider View Post
Strange question but I am curious to know what people consider to be the minimum distance between tripod feet?
To me it is a strange question. For pure stability I have always set tripod feet at the maximum distance and the leg extension as low as possible. At home I have to go higher to get 'over' obstructions but other times it's down low. But always with the legs out as far as possible. Of course using a laptop for control & imaging makes things much, much easier, saving my old back some work.
Old 12-02-2022, 07:10 PM
sunslayr (David)

You can always hang weights from the tripod if you want to lower the centre of mass for increased stability.
Old 12-02-2022, 10:54 PM
Constant (David)

Thumbs up

Your opthamologist is the person to ask, a visual fields test. If you're over 30 you maybe disappointed, if you're over 60.... Bugger what's point!
Old 13-02-2022, 06:20 PM
poider (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drac0 View Post
To me it is a strange question. For pure stability I have always set tripod feet at the maximum distance and the leg extension as low as possible. At home I have to go higher to get 'over' obstructions but other times it's down low. But always with the legs out as far as possible. Of course using a laptop for control & imaging makes things much, much easier, saving my old back some work.
I have a surveyors tripod from the hardware shop, it is sturdy and can go from about 170cm down to another 80cm, but there is no middle bars for stabilisation or to stop the kegs from spreading out to the maximum
Old 13-02-2022, 08:57 PM
Drac0 (Mark)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poider View Post
I have a surveyors tripod from the hardware shop, it is sturdy and can go from about 170cm down to another 80cm, but there is no middle bars for stabilisation or to stop the kegs from spreading out to the maximum
Explains a lot, used to use one back in my Star Adventurer testing days. Never actually measured the distances, but did use a chain to stop them sliding wider when on hard surfaces. Never extended the legs either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (tripod2.jpg)
199.4 KB45 views
Old 16-02-2022, 06:34 AM
poider (Peter)

That is my exact setup at the moment.