ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2022, 05:03 PM
cadman342001 (Andy)

Back in the game. I bought a scope

Hi,

So after having to sell all my gear last year (divorce) I just bought a scope. It's a Schmidt-Newt Meade LXD75, 203mm / 800 FL F4.

It will be a long process due to financial constraints but the plan is to build my rig along the lines of my old one - a good solid mount eg SW AZ-GT 6 GEM, a cooled ASI astro camera, filter wheel ad filters, guide scope and camera, ASIair Pro, and EAF.

Until then I may use my unmodified Nikon Z6ii once I get a mount. (I also have a Nikon 500m f5.6 PF I could use)

I am only interested in imaging really so with that in mind, what coma corrector will be required ? I'm assuming I need one despite the SC having half the coma of a normal newt. The previous owner mentioned ensuring I don't over correct the scope, something about the age of it. is that a thing? I had an MPCIII previously.

Also, the focuser doesn't have a 10:1 fine focus. I don't think this will matter as I'll be fitting an EAF. Is that correct? Could be an issue using the Z6ii in the meantime though. Maybe just a Bintel Crayford style 10:1 focuser but which one?

Thanks in advance, great to be back, sort of !

Andy

PS - I used to live in Cairns but now South of Brisbane

Last edited by cadman342001; 12-02-2022 at 06:10 PM.
Old 16-02-2022, 04:09 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

nice work andy - good to hear you are getting back in the game.
don't know much about the schmidt-newt i would have thought they were reasonably well corrected already? you may have to ask zwo on compatible focusers, they seem to be fairly good at fitting to most with some DIY.