Old 28-09-2021, 09:59 AM
Stephane

Terabytes of storage?

Hi all,

I am new to the hobby, haven't yet started, and have some beginner questions. I'm sure some of you guys like to keep all your subs so that you can revisit targets and add data to them. Some of you must end up with terabytes of data!

How do you store so much data? Do you all have expensive computers? External hard drives? 1,000 free Onedrive accounts?

Cheers,
Stéphane
Old 28-09-2021, 10:07 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Stephane,
A few solar images can quickly add up to hundreds of Gb
After a couple days of clear sky the fast SSD drive (500Gb) is full.

I now use two 3Tb backup drives to keep the data, but I do need to question which data I keep and why!!!
Old 28-09-2021, 10:24 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephane View Post
Hi all,

I am new to the hobby, haven't yet started, and have some beginner questions. I'm sure some of you guys like to keep all your subs so that you can revisit targets and add data to them. Some of you must end up with terabytes of data!

How do you store so much data? Do you all have expensive computers? External hard drives? 1,000 free Onedrive accounts?

Cheers,
Stéphane
SSDs have come down in price so you can hot swap them. If you do deepsky you won't need as much storage as if you do solar or planetary as Ken mentioned. On a typical night of planetary imaging I do 250GB/hour.
Old 28-09-2021, 10:27 AM
Stephane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
Stephane,
A few solar images can quickly add up to hundreds of Gb
After a couple days of clear sky the fast SSD drive (500Gb) is full.

I now use two 3Tb backup drives to keep the data, but I do need to question which data I keep and why!!!
Thanks for the reply. Looks like SSDs are the way to go then. I just had a look online and was pleasantly surprised at the low cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
SSDs have come down in price so you can hot swap them. If you do deepsky you won't need as much storage as if you do solar or planetary as Ken mentioned. On a typical night of planetary imaging I do 250GB/hour.
I will be looking to do deepsky, so that's good to know! Thanks for replying.
Old 28-09-2021, 12:36 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Storage requirements also relates to the camera you intend to use
My ZWOASI2600MC camera takes subs ( fits files ) that are 50,000KB or 5MB per frame
I usually go through a 2TB remote storage in a year
My processing Laptop ( HP Omen i7 17” 16 GB Ram ) has SSD 2 x storage ( 1TB and 500MB ) Every 3 or 4 months I transfer most of my data to the remote storage

I use Startools for post processing which requires at least 8GB ram and a good processor

Cheers
Martin
Old 28-09-2021, 01:14 PM
Stephane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Storage requirements also relates to the camera you intend to use
My ZWOASI2600MC camera takes subs ( fits files ) that are 50,000KB or 5MB per frame
I usually go through a 2TB remote storage in a year
My processing Laptop ( HP Omen i7 17” 16 GB Ram ) has SSD 2 x storage ( 1TB and 500MB ) Every 3 or 4 months I transfer most of my data to the remote storage

I use Startools for post processing which requires at least 8GB ram and a good processor

Cheers
Martin
Thanks Martin. Actually I am pleased to discover that storage is one of the cheaper components of this hobby, as 5TB costs "only" $159 at Officeworks.
Old 28-09-2021, 05:15 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

yep - just buying more storage as we speak!! I got half way through some planetary from the last week and quickly ran out of space.
Old 28-09-2021, 05:28 PM
Rerouter (Ryan)

Have 130TB of rust, and 12TB of SSD, though all my astro is only about 800GB so far, as if you use things like PIPP to crop down your planetary to just the stuff you care about, and just keep the source files instead of the RAW AVI when you went that route it keeps it much smaller,

My panoramas though... well I have a number of 600GB+ images, as in individual images...
Old 01-10-2021, 01:22 PM
xthestreams (Paul)
photon disrupter

I move my data from my main imaging rig to my Synology NAS every morning with shell script.

But even then, I like to have 1TB on the imaging rig, especially with the IMX455 sensor at full res shooting narrowband + LRGB, the subs mount up!