Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 15-09-2021, 05:06 AM
Malcolm

S/H Selling Value 10" Solid Tube GOTO Dobsonian?

I have a dobsonian (title) surplus and considering selling. The base has leveling feet and bullseye spirit levels, mains adapter, straight through finder, V3 handset and stock eyepieces. Mirrors are in good nick. The OTA has a couple of holes where accessories (ball joint and live streaming screen) were once fitted and now covered with electrical tape. Main use public outreach.

What's a fair price for this item given it's a solid tube dob? TIA.
Old 15-09-2021, 06:22 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Hello,

With the current travel restrictions your market will be very limited and that might hurt the pricing a little. But you only need one serious buyer.

As someone who is on the look out for 2nd hand scopes the dual focuser and bob nob's are features I look for on scopes in particular. You have the motors, mirror cells, mirrors, vanes etc so, it would make a good kit for a DIY UL setup as well.

The DIY crowd will be small again, but at least without the chipboard and tube, postage may become an option if you could be bothered to box up the mirror.

Steve
Old 15-09-2021, 06:40 AM
Malcolm

There's a border bubble in place, not sure how it works but you're right on the restrictions making it difficult. However I'm in no hurry, and the scope is out on loan right now anyway. Been the plan to sell off that one for some time, just hard to know what is a fair asking price is all.
Old 15-09-2021, 07:25 AM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
I have a dobsonian (title) surplus and considering selling. The base has leveling feet and bullseye spirit levels, mains adapter, straight through finder, V3 handset and stock eyepieces. Mirrors are in good nick. The OTA has a couple of holes where accessories (ball joint and live streaming screen) were once fitted and now covered with electrical tape. Main use public outreach.

What's a fair price for this item given it's a solid tube dob? TIA.
1/2 to 3/4 of the new price depending on condition would be a starting point.

Best
JA

Last edited by JA; 15-09-2021 at 07:51 AM.
Old 15-09-2021, 08:13 AM
Malcolm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post

Best
JA

Can't buy a new solid tube GOTO anymore, I think I'll let it go for $750-$800, might get a bite. :-) Thanks.
Old 15-09-2021, 01:43 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post

Best
JA
He will struggle to get that. I tried to sell a GSO 10"/F5 that was fully tricked up including an Argo Navis about 10 years ago. It was fully baffled including the tube and focuser, all of the hardware on the scope had been replaced with stainless steel hardware, dual speed crayford focuser that had been slicked up and a fully rebuilt base that had been waterproofed and slicked up with ebony star and teflon on both axes. The scope was a known exceptionally good performer. I couldn't get any takers at $500; which is less than the cost of the Argo Navis. I still have the scope and I am about to donate it to one of the local schools, who will get an exceptionally good scope, for the cost of mirror recoats on the primary and secondary (about $370).

Maybe I was trying to sell it at the wrong time, but I did have it listed for several months and dropped the price several times to under $500. It wasn't worth me taking less than that and I figured at some point I would give it away, which I am about to do. I think part of the problem also was that the Meade Lightbridge came out which was able to be disassembled and was much better for transport and then the collapsible tube scopes come out diminishing the value of the difficult to transport solid tube scopes.

Cheers
John B