Old 17-01-2013, 08:28 AM
Intergage (Matt)

Selling up and buying up

Hey all, been awhile sense the last time I posted here but I'm finding myself with more and more spare time I'm currently doing nothing with, after a very busy period in my life (I moved out, got promoted and given 'minions' to deal with and other things).

I have a Canon XH A1s camcorder. It's an older model yes but it's still very viable (If someone wants to know why I got a tape camera you can ask me lol) and I'm selling it. I had fun with it, made heaps of video effects stuff, 4x4ing stuff but I'm over it (I was young and stupid when I got it..) but the more I look up the more I want to capture it. I have done Astrophotography before but with a ****ty little webcam camera I made myself.

I'm going to sell it at Cash Converters this weekend (Hopefully for about $1700 - $2000 with all my accessories but if anyone knows a better place to sell it) and just get a Canon EOS 600D (I have done plain photography work / courses before too) twin lens kit.
Later on I'll build up with scope mounts and stuff later I just want to take pictures of constellations and other things I can see with my naked eye in our amazing celestial sphere.

My questions are, does this sound like a good idea?
I work in IT (Sysadmin) so I can get SLR's through a supplier of ours, wholesale but I found JB HiFi at the moment are cheaper for the twin lens kid by about $50 plus I'll be able to bring them down more then that anyway.
Are there any other places I should be looking? I want to get a good Tripod as well.

Any help or information would be AWESOME.

Thanks heaps guys.
Old 17-01-2013, 08:52 AM
Poita (Peter)

Sell it on ebay or gumtree, the cash converters will be likely to give you $1000 tops for it, they usually pay a bit less than half what they think they can sell it for, and going on prices on online sales, then the amount they could sell it for would be about what you want for it. Can't see them paying more than $800, but they are always worth a go to see what the bottom price is.

They still go on ebay for good-ish money. The last one sold for $1200 for the camera and some batteries. There are a few on gumtree at the moment for the sort of money you mentioned, $1500-$2500.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-canon+xh+a1/k0

As for the new gear, Kogan has the 600D body for $469
Get a manfrotto tripod, they cost a bit more but are rock solid and last forever.
Forget the twin lens kit if you can get the body noticeably cheaper, and get a nice lens with a big fat wide open f-stop that can be used for astrophotography instead.
Add a polarie or the new one from ioptron and you have a tracking setup and can do nice widefield work without being restricted to really short exposures.
Body $470, iOptron $450, tripod $200, lens $250, intervalometer $30.

For about $1500 you have a great widefield tracking system for astro work with a really good lens, and a great camera for normal photography.
Put any other money towards a second lens.

That will keep you busy for a while

Last edited by Poita; 17-01-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 17-01-2013, 09:12 AM
Intergage (Matt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poita View Post
Sell it on ebay or gumtree, the cash converters will be likely to give you $1000 tops for it, they usually pay a bit less than half what they think they can sell it for, and going on prices on online sales, then the amount they could sell it for would be about what you want for it. Can't see them paying more than $800, but they are always worth a go to see what the bottom price is.

They still go on ebay for good-ish money. The last one sold for $1200 for the camera and some batteries. There are a few on gumtree at the moment for the sort of money you mentioned, $1500-$2500.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-canon+xh+a1/k0

As for the new gear, Kogan has the 600D body for $469
Get a manfrotto tripod, they cost a bit more but are rock solid and last forever.
Forget the twin lens kit if you can get the body noticeably cheaper, and get a nice lens with a big fat wide open f-stop that can be used for astrophotography instead.
Add a polarie or the new one from ioptron and you have a tracking setup and can do nice widefield work without being restricted to really short exposures.
Body $470, iOptron $450, tripod $200, lens $250, intervalometer $30.

For about $1500 you have a great widefield tracking system for astro work with a really good lens, and a great camera for normal photography.
Put any other money towards a second lens.

That will keep you busy for a while

Thanks so much Peter, a couple of things in there I'm going to have to research now but I'm not sure if you remember me but you helped me with my VERY ever first attempt at Astrophotography (http://imgur.com/a/WQa0G http://imgur.com/a/QP6bX) lol. You are one of the most helpful people I have come across online lol.

Edit: I messaged someone on Gumtree that said they want to buy one. See what he says.
Old 17-01-2013, 09:44 AM
Intergage (Matt)

How is this Tripod?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Manfrotto...item2c611bde3a

Also just with the lens... Having trouble finding one. I think I'm looking for the wrong thing. I was thinking more of just pointing the camera at the sky for the time being and taking some long exposure and I had a fetish for the Canon 50mm lens with f/1.4, are you thinking of something like that or something more like the Zeiss 35 mm f/1.4?

Where the bloody hell do I find these star tracking mount thingos from iOptron and such? They seem like an awesome, cheap, easy way to get into it lol. Found them for around $350 and that is the cheapest I could find.

I have been looking on ozscopes, ebay, etc plus a couple of forms to find out what I was looking for haha.
Old 17-01-2013, 10:35 AM
Poita (Peter)

I'd ask for advice on a lens in the astrophotography equipment section. Lots of Canon folk there, some lenses are great during the day but suck for astro work. They have done all the experimenting so benefit from their experience.

There are a couple of lenses that are quite cheap that work well I think. Maybe drop into this thread http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=102023

Also there is a quite affordable fisheye that works a treat.

Don't know that particular tripod, it looks a little more spindly than mine, but as I rarely extend mine at all it probably doesn't matter much.

Useful review here:
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ma...0XPROB_tripod/

Last edited by Poita; 17-01-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 17-01-2013, 10:37 AM
Poita (Peter)

Ioptron's aussie dealers are below according to their website.
http://www.ioptron.com/index.cfm?sel...c-1e135839da81

You may have to contact them directly as it is a fairly new product.

Astro Shop www.myastroshop.com.au Australia Telescopes www.australiatelescopes.com.au ExtraVision (Distributor) www.ExtraVision.com.au OzScopes www.ozscopes.com.au Telescopes and Astronomy www.telescopes-astronomy.com.au

Manual is here. http://ioptron.com/images/up/SkyTracker_Manual.pdf

Polarie is available from several local dealers including myastroshop above.
Old 17-01-2013, 10:46 AM
Intergage (Matt)

Thanks heaps mate! Got exactly what I came for!
Isn't this the Astrophotography equipment section lol?

Doing some trolling at the moment and finding a couple of threads about good lens.
Old 17-01-2013, 10:47 AM
Poita (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergage View Post
Isn't this the Astrophotography equipment section lol?
I'd start a specific thread re the lens.
Old 17-01-2013, 11:02 AM
Intergage (Matt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poita View Post
I'd start a specific thread re the lens.
I think I have found the lens I should get. The Tokina 11-16mm.
Old 17-01-2013, 11:30 AM
Poita (Peter)

I have the 2.8 version on the Nikon, it is pretty good.
Old 17-01-2013, 01:13 PM
Intergage (Matt)

Sweet. Going to go pick up my body today after work also going to order that lens tomorrow night
Old 17-01-2013, 02:43 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergage View Post
I have a 190XPROB with 804RC2 and 498RC2 heads. It is fairly light but copes with my Sony a77 and Sigma 150-500mm, and fits in the checked bag I take. It does need a remote release or shutter delay at lower light levels. It has variable angle legs and the center column tips 90° which is good for shooting downwards.

I also have a 475B with 229 head but you wouldn't want to carry it far.