Old 02-02-2008, 12:06 AM
sydney_vt (David)

80ED + Canon 35mm SLR

Hey everyone.. taken my first shots of the moon through my Skywatcher 80ED and a Canon 35mm SLR. Mounted to the scope with the adapter. I was using 1600 speed film and the exposures were around the 2000/sec mark. Is this up there with the results I should expect from this combination? or am I not doing something right. I have a Meade electronic eyepiece which I have not used yet, will this give me better detail? Obviously it will take me alot closer to the moon then my camera can. I have also posted I first shot of Orion.... Very beginer I know but im excited at what lays ahead.

Any tips would be much appriciated.

Cheers,

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Moon1.jpg)
17.0 KB33 views
Click for full-size image (Orion.jpg)
180.0 KB36 views
Click for full-size image (Moon 1.jpg)
196.4 KB55 views

Last edited by sydney_vt; 02-02-2008 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Another pic to upload
Old 02-02-2008, 09:56 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

G'day Dave.

You will be challenged getting your camera to take a short enough exposure of a 1/2 - full moom using ISO1600 without the shots burning out. You will also notice that it is very grainy. I would suggest no faster than ISO400 for the moon, preferably a finer grain film like ISO100 and use longer exposures. Do you have a cable release for your camera? If not try using the timer to prevent any camer/mount shake.

Doing DSO with the 1600 colour negative film will be ok but you will have to deal with the grain. Kodak EKtachrome ISO 100 and 200 slide film are reported to be very good for DSO imaging. Also consider Fuji Provia ISO400 (?) slide film. Which ever way you choose to go you will have to expose for a considerable time to get a nice bright image.

If you can spare the biccies I'd suggest looking at getting Michael Covingtons book "Astrophotography for the Amateur". While it can be applied to digital photography it is based on film photography and contains all the information about film, exposure, equipment and techniques you will need.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:22 PM
sydney_vt (David)

Cheers for that. I have used in the past ISO100 Fuji slide film but only with the camera and tripod not through the telescope. Im not happy with the detail I was getting so thats why I tried the faster film even though it was going to have a lot more grain. I assumed capturing more light would increase my detail. I do use a cable release, mind you I was at north head so it was pretty windy. It's just that when looking at the shot through my view finder the moon is very clear with a lot of detail. I'll try the slower speed slide film and somewhere not so windy.. also wait till the moon isn't so bright.

Dave
Old 02-02-2008, 07:32 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

I've got some old photos of the moon somewhere that I'll try to dig up. They were taken with a Canon EOS 500 and a 102mm achromat and various ISOs and film types.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:15 PM
leon

As Paul said earlier your film is much to fast for bright objects like the Moon, for a full moon don't go over 100ASA, and raise it no further than 400 ASA as the Moon becomes smaller in size.

Other than that a good job, and just keep at it, you will win.

leon
Old 02-02-2008, 08:32 PM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

You need to think of the moon as a sunlit landscape. If you use 100asa film then 125th at f8 is about correct for the full moon. It is bright