Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 29-06-2021, 04:01 PM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Hello,

I'd try for something that can grow up there fairly quickly, get to about 3-4mtrs and be bushy. Shrubs/bushes can be the best wind breaks around, they just take a while to get established.

Steve
Ps. Still see a heap of the old pine stands and thorn bushes used around the old Canberra farms if you know what your looking at.

Pps. A little late but you might want to drop a few for next years firewood anyway.

Last edited by mura_gadi; 30-06-2021 at 06:02 AM.
Old 29-06-2021, 04:28 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I would think that the protection offered by whatever building you are in would be somewhat irrelevant considering that the wind effect on the overall seeing would seem perhaps the main consideration. I dont know really but I dont bother when it is windy because the stars get blown around as opposed to the mount...heck build one of each you have the room
Anyways get the dome up there right away and start imaging ... We want jaw dropping photos so get started
Alex
Old 29-06-2021, 04:34 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mura_gadi View Post
Hello,

I'd try for something that can grow up there fairly quickly, get to about 3-4mtrs and be bushy. Shrubs/bushes can be the best wind breaks around, they just take a while to get established.

Steve
Ps. Still see a heap of the old pine stands and thorn bushes used around the old Canberra farms if you know what your looking at.
Yeah there is a protected area at the highest NE corner of the lot (~1445m ASL), already surrounded by a nice tree wind break. I tested it on a very windy night and the difference between inside and outside this area was huge, especially at ground level..so this is looking good so far?..and it is not too far from the house.

Might just get the chainsaw out and make the area a little wider by felling some of the excess trees, while maintaining enough foliage and perhaps even planting some more bushes like Acacia's, on the outside, but maintaining good sky access.

Mike
Old 29-06-2021, 09:11 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I would think that the protection offered by whatever building you are in would be somewhat irrelevant considering that the wind effect on the overall seeing would seem perhaps the main consideration. I dont know really but I dont bother when it is windy because the stars get blown around as opposed to the mount...heck build one of each you have the room
Anyways get the dome up there right away and start imaging ... We want jaw dropping photos so get started
Alex
...well, I have had quite decent seeing on windy nights, so it is my experience that it is not quite as simple as that The main thing to start with, is to prevent any significant wind from buffeting the equipment first, which serves to blur your data...then the seeing can still be ok

Mike
Old 01-07-2021, 03:46 PM
andyc (Andy)

Wow, congrats Mike, hooe you have some great astro adventures there! Though yeah, bushfire risk will be large and increasing, make sure you're insured 😮. Fingers crossed for many clear night and few big fires, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you achieve with even darker skies.
Old 01-07-2021, 04:27 PM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Hello,

Just reading back over the posts, and thought that a home wind generator might be a good idea as it would supplement the winter power supply. The .gov link below is pretty good.

https://www.yourhome.gov.au/energy/wind-systems

I loved the aesthetic of your obs of choice, I'd be worried about a restaurant wanting to open on the 2nd floor.

Steve
Ps. Perfection by definition is stagnation...

PPs. Checked ebay for wind generators, seems like you could power a obs battery bank fairly cheaply. "500W Wind Generator DC 12V 3 Blades Wind Turbine With Charge Controller - $170". However I might suggest your final buy is not from ebay for those and a little larger.

Last edited by mura_gadi; 01-07-2021 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-07-2021, 10:29 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc View Post
Wow, congrats Mike, hooe you have some great astro adventures there! Though yeah, bushfire risk will be large and increasing, make sure you're insured 😮. Fingers crossed for many clear night and few big fires, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you achieve with even darker skies.
Thanks a lot Andy yes it is very exciting

Going up with my 12" dob this weekend, for three days, alone, hopefully I will be able to get some clear skies to check out the seeing

There are some large open areas on the property, with amazing fully open skies above but where ever I end up putting it, I will be sure to clear a large area around the observatory and will keep it that way...and of course, I will cover it with adequate insurance, as I have always done with my observatories and gear

Besides...many observatories have to deal with being built amongst the trees, high up on mountains...so Eagleview will be in good company

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Mt Wilson.jpg)
140.3 KB50 views
Click for full-size image (Mt Palomar.jpg)
128.0 KB52 views
Click for full-size image (Siding Spring.jpg)
109.2 KB46 views
Click for full-size image (Kitt Peak.jpg)
153.6 KB50 views
Old 01-07-2021, 10:55 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Hello,

Just reading back over the posts, and thought that a home wind generator might be a good idea as it would supplement the winter power supply. The .gov link below is pretty good.

https://www.yourhome.gov.au/energy/wind-systems

I loved the aesthetic of your obs of choice, I'd be worried about a restaurant wanting to open on the 2nd floor.

Steve
Ps. Perfection by definition is stagnation...

PPs. Checked ebay for wind generators, seems like you could power a obs battery bank fairly cheaply. "500W Wind Generator DC 12V 3 Blades Wind Turbine With Charge Controller - $170". However I might suggest your final buy is not from ebay for those and a little larger.
Hi Steve, there is already a wind generator on site but it seems to have been sited poorly as the swivel blade head spins erratically in azimuth never really finding a wind direction....so it is currently disconnected from the off grid panel. At some stage I will have to investigate and decide whether to pull it down or not...? You can see it near the two double garages in THIS shot.

Mike
Old 04-07-2021, 01:32 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Having a ball with my 12" Dob at Eagleview tonight , there has been a bit of transient cloud at times but it has been mostly clear all night, pretty nippy, at 2am it is about -4C but low humidity and a light variable breeze, so a light frost has formed on everything but dew hasn't been a problem and eyepieces have stayed clear. All the classics look excellent in the eyepiece (M104, M17, M20, Omega etc..) with excellent transparency and contrast. Once again two stars were visible in The Coal Sack and Acrux was sharply split. I had the 12" Dob at 750X magnification on Jupiter without much image degradation and I watched the shadow of one of the moons transit. At this power the disc of Jupiter was huge, all the Galilean moons were clear discs and plenty of nicely coloured bands and festoons were visible on the planet's disc. While the seeing certainly looked reasonably good and yes, I have seen better, this is only the first ever viewing session from Eagleviee so I was a little nervous...but Ive seen enough so far (previously naked eye and now through a good scope) to say I am confident that Eagleview will perform in the seeing department, it is very dark and has good transparency
..given site testing is impossible when buying a property such as this, the above is all somewhat of a relief really, phew

Mike
Old 04-07-2021, 03:09 AM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

Sounds promising!
Old 04-07-2021, 06:08 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Hello,

Noticed the stars were not twinkling away or the skies cloudy like they have been for the last 10 days. Had to be the case I was going out for the night...

Really nice to see your initial results got a good positive outcome, looks like the wind will help if it behaves and stays moderate to light.

Another box ticked!

(I saw Mt Ginnini was -3/1 for yesterday's forecasts, I was wondering about your weather.)

Steve
Honeysuckle creek has now been reopened (finally) and I'm thinking that will be my next night out, just for history of the site. The light pollution will be apparent, but I'm hoping for very open skies from the fires still. I have been waiting a couple of years now, between fires, the floods and covid.

Last edited by mura_gadi; 04-07-2021 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:23 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

It is really nice to hear it is all going good for you Mike. Keep your posts coming.
Alex
Old 04-07-2021, 08:22 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelandscott View Post
Sounds promising!
Quote:
Hello,

Noticed the stars were not twinkling away or the skies cloudy like they have been for the last 10 days. Had to be the case I was going out for the night...

Really nice to see your initial results got a good positive outcome, looks like the wind will help if it behaves and stays moderate to light.

Another box ticked!

(I saw My Ginnini was -3/1 for yesterday's forecasts, I was wondering about your weather.)

Steve
Honeysuckle creek has now been reopened (finally) and I'm thinking that will be my next night out, just for history of the site. The light pollution will be apparent, but I'm hoping for very open skies from the fires still. I have been waiting a couple of years now, between fires, the floods and covid.
Quote:
It is really nice to hear it is all going good for you Mike. Keep your posts coming.
Alex
Thanks guys

It was quite surreal ...having my scope setup outside my own..?..well, kinda like a glamping AirB&B cabin really, sitting high on a ridge, under excellent skies, with not a light in sight (within 55km anyway )..bloody unreal I had a grin most of the night as I went in and out to grab a beer, sit in front of the fire, having snacks, watching TV..and observing (I mean Jupiter at bloody 750X ) in between...yep pinch pinch pinch... ..feeling very contented right now, the morning after, a frost on the ground, sitting in front of a ridiculous clear blue sky, crisp morning view, sharp all tbe way out to 82km, with that characteristic residual jet lag feeling, happy tiredness, from a great fun night of astro, sipping a freshly made brew with the fire still trickling along next to me...while watching Insiders on ABC live stream, getting primed to get out and potter around the 100 acres collecting firewood....is this in fact all real. ?

Mike
Old 04-07-2021, 09:05 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

When one gets to their bush block you wonder why on Earth did I not do this years ago.

And so often it is not money as usually there is something affordable some where...

re firewood.
Near the house you cut some trees at about 4 or 5 ft above ground level...now you have some logs to cut but the remains regrow usually in multiple trucks that in the future when a nice size you use for fire wood...its not the best wood but easy to get.

And if you have not been trained to use a chain saw make sure you read up at least...always wear a helmet as a common injury apparently ( havent seen one happen myself) is the saw kicks and you cop it on the top of your head.

I have a little Ozitto cordless that looks like a toy (plus real ones) but unbelievable how long they run for..but get one for the car, in the bush so often you find a tree across the road, and take it when you go for a walk as there will be lots of stuff you can cut...no need to bring it back either just start making little piles of fuel you can get when you need it...but after a while you can clear a lot of potential bush fire fuel and have little piles all over that you can use.

Another tip...have some water in bottles stored...things can go wrong with your water supply..all sorts of things you would not readily think of...leaks, contamination broken pumps etc...
How is your electrical stuff going?

Alex
Old 04-07-2021, 09:44 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
When one gets to their bush block you wonder why on Earth did I not do this years ago.

And so often it is not money as usually there is something affordable some where...

re firewood.
Near the house you cut some trees at about 4 or 5 ft above ground level...now you have some logs to cut but the remains regrow usually in multiple trucks that in the future when a nice size you use for fire wood...its not the best wood but easy to get.

And if you have not been trained to use a chain saw make sure you read up at least...always wear a helmet as a common injury apparently ( havent seen one happen myself) is the saw kicks and you cop it on the top of your head.

I have a little Ozitto cordless that looks like a toy (plus real ones) but unbelievable how long they run for..but get one for the car, in the bush so often you find a tree across the road, and take it when you go for a walk as there will be lots of stuff you can cut...no need to bring it back either just start making little piles of fuel you can get when you need it...but after a while you can clear a lot of potential bush fire fuel and have little piles all over that you can use.

Another tip...have some water in bottles stored...things can go wrong with your water supply..all sorts of things you would not readily think of...leaks, contamination broken pumps etc...
How is your electrical stuff going?

Alex
All good advice big Al

The previous owner has done the small piles thing, so I am about to hitch the trailer and go collect it all The previous owner also left his small Stihl chainsaw for me to use until I get my own. Today I just plan to collect kindling as I have heaps of bigger stuff.

The current circa 2008/9 "Outback Power" off grid system is adequate for conservative weekend visits, being power aware but I am keen to have a more solid one though, so we can extend and worry less about what appliances we are using so much ...we don't have a fridge yet..using an eski for our short visits for now and given the cold environment at the moment it is working well, will need a fridge by summer though .

Mike
Old 04-07-2021, 10:27 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I know you have your big genny but work out your max charge rate..it may be only what a $400 genny can output...

So you find you use very little petrol...

my old system required one litre for a retop of the battery...and believe me the other thing is..you can never have too many gennys in the bush...

The only thing you need a real fridge for is meat so you cook your meat and it will keep in an esky or in a cool place with a wet towel over it.

I lived for a decade with no fridge... leave beer under a wet towel so it requires less energy to cool.

The cordless saw will cost $200 to $250 if you get the brand I suggest, that will get you a spare battery and charger...and trust me..you will run out of power before it does...I have cut felled timber up to 8 inches in diameter and so long as you dont push it past its happy cut rate not a problem...all I could manage is one tree before I ran outta puff but the saw can do three on one battery..but above all get a helmet..like it is more important than you think..its not a bad idea to wear one when just walking in the bush...and never ever ever go walking if there is a decent wind..city folk see a small branch on the ground and never realise it comes down like a dart...

Now for the stockade walls

Alex

Last edited by xelasnave; 04-07-2021 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-07-2021, 08:51 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Thanks Alex all good input

Had another almost carbon copy of last night, clear all night with a frost in the morning. Only some cloud at times early in the evening, seeing about the same as last night, so that's good, two nights in a row Observing again in my own backyard is great and I'm really enjoying it ...still feels like I am visiting someone elses dream rural mountain escape though.. Made myself Osso buco last night on top of the slow combustion heater

Its a great observing site, feels very similar in darkness to Wiruna (SPSP) the dark sky site of ASNSW and the Milky Way overhead last night was magnificent. Observing on the southern side of the Tinderry Mountains puts the glow of Canberra (55km to the north) mostly out of site behind the mountain peaks and nearby bush, so the sky appears essentially black all over.

It was cool to observe the Saturn Nebula while it is only a couple of degrees from Saturn, going between the two, I can see why it was named as such...they really do look similar

Last night tonight and it's looking good again for a third test night

Mike
Old 05-07-2021, 11:42 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
All good advice big Al

The previous owner has done the small piles thing, so I am about to hitch the trailer and go collect it all The previous owner also left his small Stihl chainsaw for me to use until I get my own. Today I just plan to collect kindling as I have heaps of bigger stuff.

The current circa 2008/9 "Outback Power" off grid system is adequate for conservative weekend visits, being power aware but I am keen to have a more solid one though, so we can extend and worry less about what appliances we are using so much ...we don't have a fridge yet..using an eski for our short visits for now and given the cold environment at the moment it is working well, will need a fridge by summer though .

Mike
You can also get LPG powered fridges but they are a bit expensive. The startup draw of fridges motors is high.

You want water pumps that have minimal startup draw. At my home I couldn"t run a regular water pump with a 4 KVA generator as the start up draw was too great. I got a new water pump which is electronic and the generator does not even blip when it starts up.

My water pump at my dark site does draw a bit when it starts and the generator revs up to match its draw but copes. So they vary a lot. You can also get a 12 volt pump but water pressure there may be the issue.

Greg.

Also why don't you setup your gear as setup and pulldown rig or put a tarp over during the day if you have 3 clear nights forecast. Break out the AP152 eh?
Old 05-07-2021, 12:30 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
You can also get LPG powered fridges but they are a bit expensive. The startup draw of fridges motors is high.

You want water pumps that have minimal startup draw. At my home I couldn"t run a regular water pump with a 4 KVA generator as the start up draw was too great. I got a new water pump which is electronic and the generator does not even blip when it starts up.

My water pump at my dark site does draw a bit when it starts and the generator revs up to match its draw but copes. So they vary a lot. You can also get a 12 volt pump but water pressure there may be the issue.

Greg.

Also why don't you setup your gear as setup and pulldown rig or put a tarp over during the day if you have 3 clear nights forecast. Break out the AP152 eh?
Hi Greg, remember this place was set up for off grid and pretty well too, but back in 2008..so it is just aging now and in need of an up grade and expansion. The previous owners used the electric oven, single draw F&P dishwasher, a normal medium sized fridge and a front loading washing machine, all the mod cons, they just had to not use them all at once or use the 6kva generator...the solar panels are a little small and as the system aged the generator is required more and more especially in cloudy weather...not like this weekend, plenty of sun, the batteries have been full by midday..but it's just me and I am being pretty conservative with power

Re the astro gear..all in good time, this weekend was just about checking the site out and enjoying an astro-stay up in the mountains, I'm here by myself , so I'm happy it looks like I will get three nights in a row to have my solo star party. The 12" dob is perfect for this. I will get the observing field and observatory under way in due course...have a few normal things to do first. Will likely keep imaging from Terroux Observatory for the rest of the year and just enjoy this place and get to know it, routines upgrades etc...

Lots of exiting times ahead...

Mike
Old 05-07-2021, 05:10 PM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Hello,

Looking good outside, you know what they say, third time is the charm!!!

Good luck with tonights viewing. You couldn't have picked a better 3 nights in a row anytime recently.

Steve
Ps. I know its maybe not the best scope for the job, but have you tried splitting any doubles/triplets up there yet? Tried M83 in the 12"?