Old 13-04-2008, 12:17 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Canon 400D

Yesterday Kee and I bought our cumalative Christmas present from the last few years of doing without.

We purchased a

Canon 400D
18-55mm lens
70-300mm lens
2Gb memory card
UV & Polarising filters
AC adaptor for camera
All weather camera bag
Medium range Tripod

Also got Paint Shop Pro v10 thrown in for good measure.

We got a very good deal to start with and then another discount for cash so to say we are happy is a bit of a understatement.

As it will be used for Kee's terrestrial photography as well as astrophotography there won't be any mods done. I still have to get all the adaptors etc yet so it might be a while before any images start to filter through but I'll definitely have to test it on a few lunar images with the tripod and I will be able to join in the monthy challenges now.

So far I have found it very easy to use allthough I still have to get through the 170 odd pages of the manual.

and you can all expect anoying questions on what I need for accesories and how I should be doing it.

Cheers
Old 13-04-2008, 01:33 PM
astroturf (Bryan)

G'day Ric

If, like me you found the handbook annoyingly small & hard to read, you can go to the Canon website & download their full size version, print it out on A4 & put it in a ring binder,it's in kiddie sized print & I can read it without my glasses - made all the difference
great camera by the way!

Cheers
Bryan
Old 13-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Ric

Congratulations to the two of you on the new beaut toy! I hope you don’t fight over who’s going to use it!

Look forward to seeing some 1st light photos.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 13-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Thanks guys, great minds think alike Bryan, I've already downloaded the pdf file from Canon and I going to print it tomorrow at work. that's a good idea with the binder as well.

Hi Dennis, there shouldn't be to many problems Kee is daytime and I'm night-time allthough she saw her first Irridium flare last night so there may be some further interests developing.

Cheers
Old 13-04-2008, 10:54 PM
shane shaw

great camera. I got mine last year and it ws my first digital and it is great. Haven't as yet taken any good astro photos but I ahve managed to take a few terristial ones. A good tip I receive and it works is to take heaps and heaps and then even more photos of anything and then looka t them. Amoungst the 50 - 400 photos you might take, will be a few really good photos that look professional.

good luck
Old 13-04-2008, 10:57 PM
EzyStyles (Eric)
I HATE COMA!

Nice one Ric. what you can do is get that 400d modified with clear glass and then get yourself a hutech daylight front filter. It is almost the same filter as the original canon only it is removable. Drawback is that you can only use EF lenses and not EF-S lense as it will hit the filter.

The camera can then both be used for terrestial as well as astro.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (daylightfilter3.JPG)
57.0 KB23 views
Old 13-04-2008, 11:26 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Hi Shane, thanks for the tip I think that now the cost of decent film and processing has been taken out of the equation I'll certainly will be taking more photos. I've always been keen on macro photography.

Hi Eric, thanks for the tip as well I'll definitely keep that in mind for a bit further down the track, at the moment I just need to learn all about the package. In some ways it's similar to film but in other aspects it's a world apart.

Cheers