Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 11-05-2021, 10:57 PM
glend (Glen)

Winter Hibernation

I am choosing to hibernate from astronomy this winter, the cold nights and damp take an increasing toll on my old body, so this year (after this week's New Moon), I am packing it all away till spring. I will close up the observatory, and bring all the equipment back into dry storage in the house. The stars will still be there in the Spring.

Last edited by glend; 12-05-2021 at 12:34 AM.
Old 12-05-2021, 04:44 AM
leon

You are right Glen, the Stars will always be there and still in the same place, the Winters can get a bit fresh at times.
When I used to do imaging, the grass would crackle under my feet from the frost sometimes, enjoy the comforts of indoors.

Leon
Old 12-05-2021, 05:39 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hopefully I will keep on keeping on if I ever get a clear sky again. It has been crook here for months and I am looking to winter for a chance of some clear sky.

I did have a bed set up in my big observatory with the plastic cover still in place so keep it dry so I could cover up and nap during exposures and not go back to the van for a nap... but the girls brought the bed up to the main house to enable me to stay with them after I came out of hospital... unfortunately I still seem to need looking after but soon I should be right...I hope..the legs are just not coming good....but I have found these heat patches that I can put under my clothes to keep me warm...the RASA wont arrive until mid or late July but because it is fast I hope to get the job done in much less time...but one thing for sure I wont be involved unless the seeing is perfect...no more hanging about all night shooting between cloud gaps.

My condition has me thinking not to waste a moment but maybe all night sessions wont happen.

Funny thing...I liked to walk bare foot on the frosty grass because my feet always on fire felt better on the cold lawn, but after a while it chills the rest of my body so there is a limit.

The one, as yet, unknown... one side effect of my medication is less tolerance of cold...lets hope I dont have that problem... fortunately I have not experienced any side effects so far..

Anyways Glen your approach is sensible ...no doubt after you pack everything away you will get perfect seeing night after night.

Alex
Old 12-05-2021, 05:49 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Glen,
Yes the universe will always be there to enjoy
At least you will have more time to watch and read the progress of Space X with crewed missions to ISS, the ongoing development of Starship along with other private Space companies and the next phase of Mars exploration
Enjoy your Winter break
Martin
Old 12-05-2021, 06:26 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

A terrific opportunity for some "Bucket List" reading. And of cours, some short courses. Uni of Edinburgh offer some terrific ones. Did a couple several years back after I broke my back.

Whatever you decide to do, treat yourself kindly.

Peter
Old 12-05-2021, 07:09 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Yes I'm with you Glen.
I am not looking forward to the cold of Bretti this week.
Forcaster predicted the coldest nights since last winter.
Old 12-05-2021, 07:56 AM
N1 (Mirko)

That's ok as long as you don't feel like you're missing out on what the winter skies have to offer. No way I'd skip high astro season myself though, it's too damn good. That's actually what I like about the toothless AUS/NZ winters - I can do all-nighters in the depths of winter without ridiculous measures to keep warm...
Old 12-05-2021, 07:59 AM
Sconesbie (Scott)

As soon as I hooked up my Argo Navis a few months ago, I haven't been able to get out and use it. The nights when I have been able to, the skies are bad and when the skies are good, I haven't been able to. I have a warehouse freezer jacket that I use in winter. It's terrifically warm although a bit bulky. I'm looking forward to heading out as soon as I can.
Old 12-05-2021, 09:37 AM
Tulloch (Andrew)

But it's planet season! Hibernate in the summer instead

Andrew
Old 12-05-2021, 10:04 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I'm just now pulling my gear OUT of hibernation for the best seasons of all - late autumn and winter.

Eagerly awaiting it after 12 months.
Old 12-05-2021, 10:59 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
I'm just now pulling my gear OUT of hibernation for the best seasons of all - late autumn and winter.

Eagerly awaiting it after 12 months.
+1 Winter is when it's time to get out again. Milkyway is up, long cold and dry nights. What's not to like. No time for wussing out.
Old 12-05-2021, 11:00 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

+another

I'm selling off some CCD's to buy a new SX with littler pixels
Old 12-05-2021, 12:12 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulloch View Post
But it's planet season! Hibernate in the summer instead

Andrew
Priorities change, and for me it is an opportune time to step back and do some other things.

Last edited by glend; 12-05-2021 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-05-2021, 04:42 PM
gb44 (Glenn)

Have you ever had a go at the Hubble data?
A universe at that level would be interesting.

GlennB
Old 14-05-2021, 06:54 AM
AdamJL

We’ve all got to look after ourselves. How we do that is our own choice.
Enjoy the break, Glenn!
Old 14-05-2021, 07:28 AM
DeWynter (ILYA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
+1

Same here for obvious reasons like planet season and much longer nights with proper dark.
Old 14-05-2021, 11:18 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Last night was as close to perfect as far as I could tell but after 3 medical appointments during the day I was not up to it unfortunately... I was just to tired..at 7 pm even...I hope to go down to the observatory later today and do a tidy up at the least but even now I feel so tired I may have to wait another week... I just hope I get a little better and manage an hour at least soon..laying about has made me soft...anyways its the first clear sky for me since before xmas and I could not get motivated as I just had a feeling that it would cloud over and plus being tired...rather poor excuses sorry.
alex
Old 14-05-2021, 03:59 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

I used to observe all year round but for a long time now I've joked that I hibernate during summer. I started to find the late starts and heat haze a turn-off, plus there were so many other things to do during summer. In winter I can start by 6-7pm and have had a good night by midnight, meaning I'm not a complete zombie the next day. The last few years, however, I've started to feel less brave in the cold. I'm determined to push myself outdoors for a few more winters yet but I may also drift back to summer observing and just learn to sleep during the day - at least being retired I have the time to be a zombie.
Old 17-05-2021, 12:30 PM
glend (Glen)

As indicated in the first post, I have today completed the strip out of the observatory, and everything is now in dry storage until spring. I will do some cleaning in the observatory, and seal the front flap with duct tape. There are a couple of minor building maintenance issues, but I will probably wait and tackle them in the spring.
That is all for now.
Old 17-05-2021, 12:47 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
As indicated in the first post, I have today completed the strip out of the observatory, and everything is now in dry storage until spring. I will do some cleaning in the observatory, and seal the front flap with duct tape. There are a couple of minor building maintenance issues, but I will probably wait and tackle them in the spring.
That is all for now.
Glen,
Does that mean you won’t be on IIS until the spring ?
I enjoy reading your updates relating to Space X launches and other activities
Martin