Old 19-02-2017, 11:34 AM
speedyjim (James)

Guide scope for NA140ss?

In going to try narrowband imaging with my Vixen NA140ss and need advice on a suitable guide scope.

Would say a 50mm finder guide scope suffice given it's short focal length as in trying to keep weight down? I have heard the Borg mini 50mm is really good, but anyone with positive experience with cheaper finder type guidescopes?

Cheers, James
Old 19-02-2017, 11:42 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

On eBay there's a very good 60mm 200mm fl finder - looks identical to the latest Orion version but less than half the price!
Add a ASI 120 mono and you have the makings of a very good finder/ guider.
(I use one with a DMK51 as an electronic finder - no issues, no drama)
EDIT: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/361619657...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Last edited by Merlin66; 19-02-2017 at 01:44 PM.
Old 19-02-2017, 01:30 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyjim View Post
In going to try narrowband imaging with my Vixen NA140ss and need advice on a suitable guide scope.

Would say a 50mm finder guide scope suffice given it's short focal length as in trying to keep weight down? I have heard the Borg mini 50mm is really good, but anyone with positive experience with cheaper finder type guidescopes?

Cheers, James
Hi James . Is this the new version of this loverly VIXEN and can you do a small report of it one day if your not busy.
Only asking as I almost purchased the older version once , which got mixed reviews.
bigjoe.
Old 19-02-2017, 02:32 PM
speedyjim (James)

Yep sure is. Such an amazing scope. Bought it for wide field and flat images and narrowband.

There is a lot of misinformation out there on this scope... Its utterly amazing visual with binoviewers. Will try and get a report one day.. Time..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
Hi James . Is this the new version of this loverly VIXEN and can you do a small report of it one day if your not busy.
Only asking as I almost purchased the older version once , which got mixed reviews.
bigjoe.
Old 19-02-2017, 02:35 PM
speedyjim (James)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
On eBay there's a very good 60mm 200mm fl finder - looks identical to the latest Orion version but less than half the price!
Add a ASI 120 mono and you have the makings of a very good finder/ guider.
(I use one with a DMK51 as an electronic finder - no issues, no drama)
EDIT: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/361619657...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Thanks... That may just be worth a look... Posts from China but I'm assuming it's from where they make all the other scopes for other brands! Might never turn up but PayPal would cover it. Will keep it as an option
Old 19-02-2017, 05:24 PM
speedyjim (James)

Still before I spend $$ can someone confirm that guiding a sub 1000mm refractor via a 50 or 60mm guide scope works well enough for narrowband (eg longer exposures) ...preferably someone who had done it... Cheers