Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects

Old 11-04-2022, 04:43 PM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Ok, Black glass blanks anyone? (or easier, better and cheaper glass blanks)

Hello,

Saw this and couldn't resist the thought of some funky black telescope glass.

The prices for the pre-curved blanks are surprisingly good though and the BVC is better* than Pyrex over 400mm for acclimation.

The blanks have between 3-5 F/l up to 20", after that its mostly only two options for the focal length up to 30".

They are thin light weight mirror blanks!

It is not a secured site however... so proceed at your own risk which is a little sad for this day and age.

http://www.bvctek.ca/thin-pre-curved-mirror-blanks.html

*"We have been passed test figures from the Canadian company showing a range of 2.56 -2.64PPM/Deg C, which supports their claims. Note even the worst of the figures quoted, - 2.8PPM/Deg C, - is still lower than Pyrex." from Astrofox Astronomical Instruments website.

**Easier better cheaper = Easier this is soft glass, a lot softer than soda lime and the black colour apparently helps with pit detection. Better = cools down even faster than Pyrex and sandwich is very light you can get to 24" before you break 10 kilo. Cheaper well certainly compared to some pre-curved large blanks I've looked at....

And a page about working with the glass with all the makers spin, but looks like you will need to smooth the backs.
http://www.bvctek.ca/bvc-glass.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Black Glass Blank.png)
198.4 KB68 views

Last edited by mura_gadi; 11-04-2022 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-04-2022, 08:12 AM
Rod

I have one of his 10 inch meniscus blanks I have started on. Many years ago I ground and part polished a 14 inch F4 monolithic BVC blank. It was 1.5 inches thick.

BVC grinds and polishes very fast. Scratches and pits are easier to see. A fellow club member has made 2 large mirrors from it very successfully.

It’s obviously opaque so you can’t test it for strain. I don’t think that’s been an issue though.

I don’t have any experience of the sandwich mirrors. From what I’ve read there are a few more things to consider - to avoid print through for example.

Rod
Old 12-04-2022, 11:09 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Ah, I loved to get to the ASV for the atm workshops, I could save on posting old news for starters...

Great news to hear that people are getting good results from the blanks as well, so tyvm for that.
Old 12-04-2022, 07:42 PM
Rod

Hi Steve

BVC only recently became available again and they are probably the cheapest blanks available. It’s good you thought to alert people to them.

Rod