Old 14-12-2009, 06:24 PM
TrevorW

DC power supply for Canon 350d

Anyone sourced or made one

I've got my 80amp hr battery now

Thanks
Old 14-12-2009, 06:33 PM
rogerg (Roger)

I use one that I bought from Hutech for a rediculous cost: http://www.sciencecenter.net/hutech/prices/canon.htm

There's threads in IIS about buying and making them. Suggest searching for "canon 12v power" or something like that.

Roger.
Old 14-12-2009, 06:42 PM
TrevorW

See what you mean

I've got the power supply to run the laptop 12v to 12v

a double cigarette lighter socket, just need one more for the mount

once that and the camera's sorted I'll be sweet for the next dark site visit

How'd you go Saturday
Old 14-12-2009, 07:05 PM
rogerg (Roger)

yeah, certainly is good having the camera running off 12v, highly recommended. I got rid of a few problems in my setup by doing that, intermittent problems and wasted time switching batteries.

The weekend was great, it was warmish (about 19 degrees at night) but OK. Got a few shots which I haven't processed yet, and some geminids that I have on my website. 8 people if I remember right, nice group.
Old 15-12-2009, 05:39 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

I've been talking to Trevor "tlgerdes" about this recently and am making it a little project for over Christmas. You can get a voltage regulator kit from Jaycar, change some parts over to get some more amps out of it, and use that.
Old 15-12-2009, 07:52 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Sort of. Canon make a ACK700 (AC adapter kit). You can run one off a battery of your choosing through a small inverter. (or simply plug it into the mains if a powerpoint is handy).
Old 15-12-2009, 12:52 PM
TrevorW

Got one Peter thanks which I use now from the mains but I've been told using an inverter from a battery source is inefficient

ie: 12 - 240 -7.5v

better going straight 12 to 7.5v

Cheers
Old 15-12-2009, 10:29 PM
lookus

i have a 450d and i bought the canon ac power adapter and a variable dc-dc power (5Amp)power supply from jaycar. snipped of the dummy battery from the canon ac power adapter and connected it to the end of the dc-dc power supply.(double check polarity) select the corresponding voltage on the dc-dc power supply ( or as closely as possible depending on the options) and that's it.works excellently!
Old 18-12-2009, 09:03 AM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerg View Post
I use one that I bought from Hutech for a rediculous cost: http://www.sciencecenter.net/hutech/prices/canon.htm

There's threads in IIS about buying and making them. Suggest searching for "canon 12v power" or something like that.

Roger.
I got one of these. They work well. Mine also came with an AC adapter, which I wasn't expecting, so there's an added bonus if you are working from a source with AC. (You have to clip off the US plug and replace it with an Aus one, but that's no big deal)
Old 18-12-2009, 10:14 AM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Daniel McCauley designed a Canon DSLR PSU that runs off 12V DC to 8 to 7.5V DC out. Someone posted a link before and I looked at it and said it's ok but doesn't have over voltage/current fold back or protection.

I'll post the link again here.

I suspect the cct can easily be modified to incorporated overvoltage protection etc.

In any case I have re-thought the cct and I must admit that the regulators used has good thermal & inbuilt protection thus adding extra protection is probably an overkill.

The only thing I'd do is add an overvoltage protection zener or SCR cct to shut it down if the output raises too much...otherwise I see it a a good'un, especially his 2nd cct (due to it's high efficiency).

Last thing is you need a old canon battery so you can hack into it & pull the internals out.

Anyway...it's worth a thought.

Old 18-12-2009, 01:36 PM
TrevorW

Thanks I did pick up on this diagram and passed onto my tech BIL to make for me

Cheers
Old 24-12-2009, 12:26 PM
AdrianF (Adrian)
Currently Scopeless

I placed an order for the PTN78000W from Texas Instruments as a free sample on the 19th Dec had notification they posted it on 20th Dec and it arrived by FedEx on the 23rd Dec free of charge. I will now spend some time building the rest of the circuit after xmas, I may just use a zener on the output so that if it goes over voltage my camera has some protection. All I have to do now is decide which battery I am going to sacrifice.

Adrian

Old 24-12-2009, 01:24 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianF View Post
I placed an order for the PTN78000W from Texas Instruments as a free sample on the 19th Dec had notification they posted it on 20th Dec and it arrived by FedEx on the 23rd Dec free of charge. I will now spend some time building the rest of the circuit after xmas, I may just use a zener on the output so that if it goes over voltage my camera has some protection. All I have to do now is decide which battery I am going to sacrifice.

Adrian

Hi Adrian.

Funny timing of your post. I just picked up an adjustable voltage regulator from Jaycar & a few bibs n' Bobs to make the linear regulator. I'll be adding an overvoltage SCR crowbar..a bit crude but a last resort fail safe.

This is probably not needed as the regulators are pretty much self regulating & have over-current/temperature shut-downs in any case.

But..piece of mind.

I'll be running it from a 12V source and using this canon battery adaptor...when I order it...for a 450D. Its a bit expensive ...I don't have a cheaper option of an old battery to pull apart.

I noticed my camera has a rubber grommet cut-out for power leads to feed into the battery compartment, so you can close the battery cover with the leads connected.....so it's designed for a remote supply...neat!

If you are using some zeners as last resort limit on the output...just put in a resistor in series with them to limit the current thru the zeners (to slightly below the zeners power rating).

If you want lets say 8.6 Volts as an overvoltage limit...you can put 2 zeners in series. I am doing exactly this...a 3.9V & 4.7V zener to give a total of 8.6 Volts...my max overvoltage limit.

Anyway it's interesting to so other heading up the same path!

Merry Xmas!
Old 08-01-2010, 02:02 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Well

It's (the 8V camera PSU cct) running with under/over voltage cut-out.... but I'm going to chuck the lot and start a new!

Problem is the basic linear regulators like the LM317T are rated to 1.5A (ideal) and when testing my cct at .5A load (constant) this regulator gets too hot! I cannot heat sink it adequately.

I got the under/over voltage protection working OK. Cuts in at 7.5V and out at 8.6V with little hysteresis.

So I'm going to try some of the new generation regulators like the LT1185. A 3.5 Amp (TO220 5 pin device) but the bigger package will help with heat dissipation . It has: Low drop regulator; 1% reference voltage stability; programmable over current (fold-back/cut-out or what ever you like); Shutdown ...I can run my under/over volts to command the chip to Shutdown.

So it's all back to the drawing board for me.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:12 PM
leinad (Dan)

I have an AC battery kit for the 40D and just cut into the line and added a DC-DC travel adaptor from DSE. Works great.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:01 PM
mill (Martin)
sword collector

The Texas instrument voltage regulator 24 DC max to whatever you want works very well.
I made an voltage converter with only one resistor and one capacitor and i get 8.1V out with 6A. (so plenty to spare ).
The voltage doesn't swing at all and is short protected, so you can just take a pair of wires and short the output and it just shuts the power off until the short is removed.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:23 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Hi Martin...I've ordered the other IC's but have you a part number for the TI chip?

Thanks
Old 08-01-2010, 06:17 PM
mill (Martin)
sword collector

Go here Brendan.

http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folder...ptn78020w.html

And i just ordered one for you

Will be here soon.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:30 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mill View Post
Go here Brendan.

http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folder...ptn78020w.html

And i just ordered one for you

Will be here soon.

I love it...well done....So I suppose you will be not wanting some of the "samples" from Linear Tech I ordered as well?

I wasn't looking at the switching regulators...I'm kinda old fashioned.

I feel so dirty.

Edit:

I have to see you soon ..I need help on image processing..I suck at it.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:54 PM
mill (Martin)
sword collector

Come past anytime.
Call me first so i can get rid of all the girls
Ps: do you even have my number?