Old 16-05-2016, 06:10 PM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post
Am I inferring correctly that you do not open / close the obs automatically? I'd love to get more data while I sleep, but I can't imagine doing it without having an automated obs. We get lots of fog here during the cooler months and very heavy dew... I think leaving my gear out all night would be tantamount to throwing it in the dam.
You infer correctly Lee and this is why I am looking at upgrading my observatory to automate the closing. This would save me having to get up early and close the obs as well. Obviously I don't set off an overnight session unless I look very close at the weather forecast (been lucky so far). I have also purchased an Auroa weather station which includes a sky quality meter. Whilst I haven't done this yet, it can be integrated into SGP to automate observatory closing if the weather closes in.
Old 16-05-2016, 06:34 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Some news on SGP: http://forum.mainsequencesoftware.co...gning-off/3592

Was it your "sexy" comment, Troy
Hmm. Just saw that. Bugger. But I honestly don't believe it will die - there are quite a few software developers active on that forum I think - Chris from EQMod, Andy etc. I'm sure development will continue. That being said, it's got all the features I need and more now.
Old 16-05-2016, 06:52 PM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Oh phoewy!@ I just read the SGP post.
I agree with Troy though, I reckon it will sustain a life of its own.
In the mean time I shall continue using it.
Old 17-05-2016, 11:37 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Shame about the SGP...

Great value for money and it works very well for me. I think the developers should close all forums, increase the price to make some profit and then buy for themselves a brand new shiny telescope from AP as a reward - that should fix the issues!
Old 17-05-2016, 12:26 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

The SGP thread has developed a bit more, and doesn't seem to be as drastic as originally thought. He's just taking a bit of a break for couple months.
Old 17-05-2016, 12:35 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post
The SGP thread has developed a bit more, and doesn't seem to be as drastic as originally thought. He's just taking a bit of a break for couple months.
That's good news
Old 17-05-2016, 10:52 PM
Paul Haese

I have been using ccdap5 on both systems. It was a little buggy at first until I solved the issues with hardware. Now both systems chug along night after night. Complete automation with obs automation makes for a restful night sleep. Doing meridian flips is a breeze, focus runs when you want! Which ever filters, how many subs and how long. Easy stuff. ACP is the eventual goal but ccdap can be very reliable and is working for now.
Old 17-05-2016, 10:57 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

At the moment I am swapping between SGP and MaximDL, find it difficult to decide which I want to use as they both have different aspects that I prefer. I do lately find myself favouring SGP however, even if I do open the subs in Maxim for inspection
Old 18-05-2016, 05:20 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
(...) even if I do open the subs in Maxim for inspection
That's where PI comes in handy with its brilliant SubframeSelector script supplemented with Blink tool
Old 18-05-2016, 08:57 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post
Hmm. Just saw that. Bugger. But I honestly don't believe it will die - there are quite a few software developers active on that forum I think - Chris from EQMod, Andy etc. I'm sure development will continue. That being said, it's got all the features I need and more now.
I recall a similar email from Craig Stark years ago regarding PHD. It's natural to be burnt out after a while. There is so much work and time going into development of any kind, testing and debugging being the biggest part of it. The bit that everyone sees and utilize is only the tip of the iceberg. End users can be ruthless and expectation is always high.
Old 18-05-2016, 09:12 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
That's where PI comes in handy with its brilliant SubframeSelector script supplemented with Blink tool
I thought at first you were being funny making fun of PI's ridiculously pompous language but I see you weren't.

Can you imagine the names for a future autoguiding function in PI? Morphological constant radius eccentricity containment script!!

Plus don't forget to check the box for the Stuttgart removal constant or it won't work at all, plus the apply globally icon applied after you hit the preview not before or it won't work!

Greg.
Old 18-05-2016, 09:37 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
I thought at first you were being funny making fun of PI's ridiculously pompous language but I see you weren't.
If you're a software engineer, ridiculously pompous names makes a lot of sense. That's how we're taught to write software - with long names that actually mean something. If you'd ever tried to understand code written by someone else you'd understand, Greg
Old 18-05-2016, 09:43 AM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricks View Post
if you're a software engineer, ridiculously pompous names makes a lot of sense. That's how we're taught to write software - with long names that actually mean something. If you'd ever tried to understand code written by someone else you'd understand, greg
+1
Old 18-05-2016, 09:50 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
If you're a software engineer, ridiculously pompous names makes a lot of sense. That's how we're taught to write software - with long names that actually mean something. If you'd ever tried to understand code written by someone else you'd understand, Greg
Agreed. But the end user doesn't need to know that or even be exposed to it. PI typically suffers from a lack of UI. Could be worse though... the process icons could be labelled in Spanish.
Old 18-05-2016, 09:54 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Quote:

Can you imagine the names for a future autoguiding function in PI? Morphological constant radius eccentricity containment script!!

Plus don't forget to check the box for the Stuttgart removal constant or it won't work at all, plus the apply globally icon applied after you hit the preview not before or it won't work!

Greg.
That's so funny Greg!

However, if you find PI's nomenclature a tad challenging, just think of those of us coming from non-English speaking backgrounds!
Old 18-05-2016, 12:36 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Fully multi levelled indescribably scripted Rick!

Greg.
Old 18-05-2016, 04:15 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Quote:
As a software engineer, I agree, but as a user, I disagree.... but you know I always argue that point about PI :p
Old 18-05-2016, 07:01 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post
As a software engineer, I agree, but as a user, I disagree.... but you know I always argue that point about PI :p
I think that all we're arguing about is Juan's definition of a "user"

Slightly more seriously, Photoshop has an awful user interface and overall design too. I find it very unintuitive. Design guru Donald Norman speaks poorly of Apple these days. He'd probably die of apoplexy if he had to write about Adobe. The thing is that we're used to PS and there are thousands of books about it (the very fact that there are so many is a warning!)

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Greg

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 19-05-2016, 07:19 AM
PRejto (Peter)

Quote:
Thanks Rick.

CCDautopilot is only about US$200 so that would be a large factor if ACP is much more expensive.

Greg.
Actually it's US$275 + $75/year for updates.

It does run with TSX, however. 60 day trial I believe. I've got it but have not fully explored options yet.

Peter
Old 19-05-2016, 11:48 AM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Quote:
I think that all we're arguing about is Juan's definition of a "user"
Touche!