Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 10-07-2014, 03:36 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

From a poor fellas pocket, I have been collecting frames from 2nds shops etc even the local tip shop. making the most of these opertunities because they price them for what pitcher is already in them, Im known to have a real weird taste in art, grunge style - the ones with the odd tear, scuffing and faded etc little do they know that the frames also a little worse for ware with glass and the boarder board to keep prints from the glass are actually rather expensive - ive pcked up some 4 & 5 footers for $5-10, rather fancy ones too, with a little paint and pollish, they could do the job well Have about 80 ATM, just have to get some good photos for them

Maybe in a few yrs Ill direct some energy to it - re-vamp the frames etc. Tho wont be all astro photos going in them, I think I have a few storm, sunset and other photos that might cut the mustard aswell !

As far as going exibitioning, not this duck - more like a local car boot & trailor week end sale arrangment - something I dont have to Commit to being there every week end as in regular markets ect; Car boots are good 'cause can just go when I feel like it. If I sell a few, then a little spending money for more astro gear,, if not, by then ill have plenty of holes in walls from processing them to cover up

Last edited by astronobob; 10-07-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:15 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

So far, other than sharing my images around various places on the net, I've done a special 1-off calendar for my father-in-law. That was mostly done as a "thank you" gift for the help he's given me with my gear (power break out box, cables, etc).

If I ever get a chance to do some more decent images, I might do another version for other family members.
Old 14-07-2014, 10:35 AM
DavidLJ (David)

An excellent question. Maybe donate one or two images to your local GP and dentist to hang in their reception areas / waiting rooms. They may value the change of scenery. And given that the waiting patients are pretty much a captive audience who are probably bored out of their minds they might be particularly receptive to gazing at something new – especially if you include some explanatory notes with the images. Including your name and the fact that the images were taken locally might help the patients to better identify with them and make astronomy more accessible. Who knows? You might even create some new enthusiasts. Lots of “mays” and “mights” I know but it's worth a thought
Old 14-07-2014, 12:25 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Actually, I printed some of mine last year and gave them to my daughters childcare class. I also gave a talk to the kids, as well as a viewing night, showing many kids and parents Venus, Neptune, Antares, Omega Ventauri and Saturn.

The prints are still on the wall.
Old 14-07-2014, 12:32 PM
graham.hobart (Graham stevens)
DeepSkySlacker

pictures

I hang mine in my office (GP office ) and it always sparks a conversation.
I also produce a calender each year for the relatives O/seas. That's about it - the calender always goes down well and have had more requests each that I have done it (and got better piccies!!)
cheers
Graham