Old 20-05-2022, 08:12 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Adding a dimmer unit

My light pad arrived so now I can incorporate flats into my game.

It had no dimmer which was both surprising and disappointing.

I want to fit one.

So I had the girls get me a 240 vltv dimmer switch which most folk have in their home somewhere..straight from the Hardware.

I really dont want to use it i
on the 240 volt side of things but would prefer to drop it in the 12 volt "side".

The panel comes with a 240 volt to 12 volt 1000 ma brick and I am thinking to cut into the output ie 12 volts and fit the dimmer switch...I presume cut the positive wire and add it in...I cant see why that would not work but ask ..Am I mistaken?

What puts me off is the note on the dimmer which says Max load 240 W AND importantly Min load 10W which suggests my idea won't work given the output is no where near 10W...

Is there any hope?

If I need to do it on the 240 volt side of things it will need a box holding the dimmer with 240 volt wires coming in I expect.
I don't know what to do so please guide me in the right direction.

Alex
Old 20-05-2022, 08:24 AM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

Might not be advisable to use a 240VAC dimmer with a power brick, they're meant for things like incandescent light bulbs and fan motors, etc. The magic smoke might come out of the brick, but YMMV.
There are plenty of "12VDC dimmers for LEDs" on Ebay, and Jaycar sell one too, although a bit more pricey at around $23 delivered by post. There are others at bottom of the page for around $15 with free postage.
Their Ebay URL: https://tinyl.io/6HXP

Last edited by mldee; 20-05-2022 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Corrected price and added further info
Old 20-05-2022, 09:11 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex
If you bought your light pad from Digi direct and it had no dimmer send it back
Mine arrived from Digi direct last week and has the dimmer which is absolutely essential , the dimmer works really well , finger touch control which has a memory
See attached photo ( Huion model A2 )
I wouldn’t make up a do it yourself dimmer as without knowing the electronics inside these things you could cook it
I don’t know which one you bought but all the Huion light pads have dimmers

Honestly it will be quicker to send it back and re order , they have the A2 in stock in Sydney , mine took a week to arrive

Cheers
Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (058E5A5A-A665-43D8-B7C6-92E5DCBA3244.jpg)
186.1 KB29 views
Old 20-05-2022, 09:37 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mldee View Post
Might not be advisable to use a 240VAC dimmer with a power brick, they're meant for things like incandescent light bulbs and fan motors, etc. The magic smoke might come out of the brick, but YMMV.
There are plenty of "12VDC dimmers for LEDs" on Ebay, and Jaycar sell one too, although a bit more pricey at around $23 delivered by post. There are others at bottom of the page for around $15 with free postage.
Their Ebay URL: https://tinyl.io/6HXP
Thanks for that I ordered one but having come back and seen Martin's post I am not sure I need one.????

Alex
Old 20-05-2022, 09:49 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Alex
If you bought your light pad from Digi direct and it had no dimmer send it back
Mine arrived from Digi direct last week and has the dimmer which is absolutely essential , the dimmer works really well , finger touch control which has a memory
See attached photo ( Huion model A2 )
I wouldn’t make up a do it yourself dimmer as without knowing the electronics inside these things you could cook it
I don’t know which one you bought but all the Huion light pads have dimmers

Honestly it will be quicker to send it back and re order , they have the A2 in stock in Sydney , mine took a week to arrive

Cheers
Martin
Martin I have the same one so I guess it has the dimmer..I guess if I turn it on one will appear...silly me.

So I now have, presumably two forms of dimmer things that I don't need so I am going to have to find something to do with them..It will be interesting to see what comes of giving them each a job and I have had this sort of thing happen before..the future knows I need them and so I have one and another on the way..

Martin it is a rather big sucker. I knew it's size but seeing it sitting here now it hit me.

This thing has been a drama given they first sent me a microphone by mistake and I had to post it back and things just bogged down..anyways it's here so I move on.

OK I will go and plug it in and see if it presents me with a dimmer control...the only annoying thing is folk will think of me as a silly old fool and I have tried so hard to hide that fact from everyone..anyways the cat is out of the bag for sure now.

Thanks guys sorry to be a burden.

alex
Old 20-05-2022, 10:32 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Martin I have the same one so I guess it has the dimmer..I guess if I turn it on one will appear...silly me.

So I now have, presumably two forms of dimmer things that I don't need so I am going to have to find something to do with them..It will be interesting to see what comes of giving them each a job and I have had this sort of thing happen before..the future knows I need them and so I have one and another on the way..

Martin it is a rather big sucker. I knew it's size but seeing it sitting here now it hit me.

This thing has been a drama given they first sent me a microphone by mistake and I had to post it back and things just bogged down..anyways it's here so I move on.

OK I will go and plug it in and see if it presents me with a dimmer control...the only annoying thing is folk will think of me as a silly old fool and I have tried so hard to hide that fact from everyone..anyways the cat is out of the bag for sure now.

Thanks guys sorry to be a burden.

alex
Good news it’s the right one !!
Plug it in , press the button to switch it on , then hold the button again to adjust brightness up and down
You have to go all the way up to the brightest setting before you can dim down again
Remember it’s a soft touch button so gentle press only
Use subtle touches to bring up or down the brightness

I found a white T shirt ( 2 layers of material ) and the lowest setting worked well for my flats

Hope it works out

Cheers
Martin
Old 20-05-2022, 12:16 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Good news it’s the right one !!
Plug it in , press the button to switch it on , then hold the button again to adjust brightness up and down
You have to go all the way up to the brightest setting before you can dim down again
Remember it’s a soft touch button so gentle press only
Use subtle touches to bring up or down the brightness

I found a white T shirt ( 2 layers of material ) and the lowest setting worked well for my flats

Hope it works out

Cheers
Martin
I am back... before I went back to road work I switched it on and worked it out thanks Martin but your directions really help...

I have cut up a bed sheet into squares.
I think I have six so I can have some room to adjust.

Alex