Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 09-05-2022, 11:17 AM
SB (Chris)

Suggestions for more aperture

Hi Everyone,
I have an Esprit 100 and EQ6-R.

I'd like a scope for galaxy season - something with a larger light collecting capacity and FL. Given a 10" Newt is realistically too heavy for the EQ6 once you add in the Losmandy dovetail and all the imaging gear - am I wasting money thinking about a F5 8" Newtonian (est cost with coma corrector, and Losmandy dovetail + heater straps Approx $1500)?

BTW I get excellent focus and resolution with the Esprit 100 - will I get this quality with a Newt?

Suggestions for other alternatives welcome!

SB
Old 09-05-2022, 12:53 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

8" or 10" GSO RC is the ticket. They go cheap 2nd hand and turn up quite often. Light and compact with good FL.
Old 09-05-2022, 01:05 PM
kosborn (Kevin)

Hi Chris,

My initial gear was identical to yours with an Esprit 100ED and an EQ6-R pro (different cameras though). I still regularly use both but like you, I wanted more aperture and more focal length and after a lot of thought, decided to add a Sidereal 10" carbon fibre f/5 Newtonian. I switched to off axis guiding to save a little bit of weight and chose carbon fibre to also save weight. I ran it on my EQ6-R for a long time with good results (although it was right on the limit). My guiding error was regularly 0.7" and below as long as it wasn't windy and I got what I think were good images. It's a great OTA that I have since put on top of an iOptron CEM70. An 8" f/5 Newtonian obviously doesn't have quite the same aperture or focal length but would still be a good addition to the Esprit. When using a coma corrector, I would make sure it isn't also a reducer if you don't want to lose focal length (I use a Baader MPC Mk III). I thought about an RC but the relatively slow focal ratio of f/8 put me off and the idea of collimating it was too scary!!

There was a similar discussion some time ago: https://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/...d.php?t=190830

Kevin

Last edited by kosborn; 09-05-2022 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-05-2022, 01:03 PM
SB (Chris)

Thanks Marc and Kevin
I appreciate you getting back to me.

SB
Old 10-05-2022, 02:05 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
8" or 10" GSO RC is the ticket. They go cheap 2nd hand and turn up quite often. Light and compact with good FL.
Yeah that would be my advice as well. They punch well above their price weight. They probably are fairly light.

Above 10 inch, based on a few who have tamed them here, they seem to be problematic.

Get the carbon fibre tube one. I wouldn't get a steel tube.

My CDK17 is all carbon fibre. It blows me away how it stays in focus all night despite falling temps. So much so that once the mirrors have stabilised temperature-wise the next day the day before's focus is still accurate. Very time saving.

Greg.

Last edited by gregbradley; 12-05-2022 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-05-2022, 05:55 AM
Meow (Dale)

Get the GSO/Bintel (same thing) 10” truss RC. As a backup, the closed tube CF version they mention above. But… like all things in this hobby, there’s more! The stock focuser is rubbish. Get a Moonlite/Feathertouch/Optec TCF 2” - anything but the stock one. You’ll also need a corrector (all big name/price RCs come with one, except the GSO). I recommend the AP CCDT67 which also speeds up the system a little (0.67 reduction) and adds a bit of correction. Lovely optic. They come up often for around $200. And a proper collimating scope…