ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-06-2022, 10:42 PM
AstroBogan (Jacob)
Jacob

Wooo, i'm back the in game!

Hi all!

It's been 3-4 years since I sold off all of my astro gear due to personal circumstances and i'm finally back!

I've gone and bought all of my gear back but I need help in remembering if i've forgotten anything

My new rig:

- HEQ5 pro (soon to be belt modded)
- Polemaster & Adapter
- WO Zenithstar 81
- FLAT6AIII reducer
- ZWO ASI533MC pro with Optolong L-eNhance filter
- ZWO M42 filter drawer
- Uniguide 50mm guidescope
- ASI 120mm mini guide cam
- ASIair Plus

Is there anything else I should look at getting? If my memory serves me correctly I should be fine with these!

it's good to be back!!
Old 27-06-2022, 11:01 PM
DarkArts

I guess you intend to image from dark sites? So a battery or field power box of some sort will be needed. In the last few years, Li-Ion and LiFePO4 battery boxes have come a long way, so that might be better than the old lead acid batteries you'd remember.

I presume you have the laptop already but a comfy seat, camping table and pop-up tent perhaps? Dew heaters, maybe? And warm clothing.

Welcome back.
Old 28-06-2022, 06:22 AM
alan meehan (Alan)

good onya Jacob the bug never leaves you .a trolleys handy as well and as Darkarts has said a comfy seat
Old 28-06-2022, 09:35 AM
AstroBogan (Jacob)
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkArts View Post
I guess you intend to image from dark sites? So a battery or field power box of some sort will be needed. In the last few years, Li-Ion and LiFePO4 battery boxes have come a long way, so that might be better than the old lead acid batteries you'd remember.

I presume you have the laptop already but a comfy seat, camping table and pop-up tent perhaps? Dew heaters, maybe? And warm clothing.

Welcome back.
Thanks!! I'll be starting off in my backyard to learn the ropes again AND i'll be teaching my partner the ropes, she is as keen as I am haha! So due to that i'll just be using the house mains for power for now.

No laptop needed I believe due to having the ASIair plus, but I do have a laptop for back up

I think dew heaters and a controller are the last item i'll require!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan meehan View Post
good onya Jacob the bug never leaves you .a trolleys handy as well and as Darkarts has said a comfy seat
It's true. It admittedly left my mind for a good year or 2, then I accidentally stumbled on one of my old photos and the bug bit me and I dove head first in when I found a listing for a HEQ5 pro on IIS and it all just fell into place very quickly after that lol.
Old 28-06-2022, 10:31 AM
AdamJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmitt94 View Post
Is there anything else I should look at getting?

An observatory and a dark site

Welcome back.

Quote:
If my memory serves me correctly I should be fine with these!
For now! You'll start blowing cash on more things you think you don't need very soon :p
Old 28-06-2022, 10:46 AM
AstroBogan (Jacob)
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
An observatory and a dark site

Welcome back.

For now! You'll start blowing cash on more things you think you don't need very soon :p
I look forward to the money "sink" this can be

On a side note, for power supply to my HEQ5 pro and my ASIair Plus (won't use AAP to power the mount because I read a lot of people advising against it), would getting 2 of these be sufficient? https://www.testar.com.au/products/1...ac4f5bdd&_ss=r

Thanks!
Old 28-06-2022, 11:58 AM
AdamJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmitt94 View Post
I look forward to the money "sink" this can be

On a side note, for power supply to my HEQ5 pro and my ASIair Plus (won't use AAP to power the mount because I read a lot of people advising against it), would getting 2 of these be sufficient? https://www.testar.com.au/products/1...ac4f5bdd&_ss=r

Thanks!
What's AAP? (this hobby has too many acronyms)
You only need the one power supply.
On my main right, I power a Pegasus powerbox, which then powers everything else with simple DC cables, including the mount.
On my second rig, I power an ASI Air which also then powers everything else with DC cables.
Old 28-06-2022, 12:17 PM
AstroBogan (Jacob)
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
What's AAP? (this hobby has too many acronyms)
You only need the one power supply.
On my main right, I power a Pegasus powerbox, which then powers everything else with simple DC cables, including the mount.
On my second rig, I power an ASI Air which also then powers everything else with DC cables.
Sorry that's me being lazy, AAP is ASIair plus
Well I want to avoid my ASIair powering my mount as I don't want any issues and a lot of forum posts on different sites advise against doing so, so i'll get 2, 1 to power the mount and 1 to power the ASIair. I spoke to Jamie from Testar via email and they advised the ones I linked will be fine

now to find myself a nice portable supply and i'll be good to go!
Old 30-06-2022, 10:24 AM
AstroBogan (Jacob)
Jacob

Cannot wait for some clear skies!
Just need to figure out the camera and where i'll mount the ASIair plus, and then i'll be good to go!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Setup.jpeg)
116.3 KB74 views