Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Old 30-08-2022, 08:58 AM
PandoraA (Alex Pandora)

SkyWatcher 8" Collapsible DOB Telescope Query

Hi All,

I have kind of narrowed down my hunt for first reflector telescope to SkyWatcher 8" DOB (without Syncan) given a balance between aperture size and portability.

Just like to check if anyone has any feedback on this DOB in terms of portability (to lift and shift to another location), overall setup & ease of use.

Also, is SynScan Wifi option worth getting as it's almost double the price of the manual one.

Appreciate your inputs.

Cheers.
Old 30-08-2022, 09:26 AM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

An 8" or 10" dob is a lovely place to start any visual astronomy journey. The base on these scopes is a bit heavy and unwieldy but manageable by most, and can be disassembled if need be into smaller components.

There is not a whole lot to go wrong, they hold their collimation well and are easy to operate. As for goto - it is excellent and these days I wouldn't do without it, but keeping things simple has it's joys too. Without the fancy stuff, you really get to know the night sky searching for faint objects and that is also part of the fun.

Keep an eye on the for sale section on the forum - there are plenty of 8-10" scopes that come up along with all the accessories you need and at a good price.
Old 30-08-2022, 09:59 AM
gaseous (Patrick)

Alex, I agree with Jonathan on all points. I have an 8" goto dob, and it's pretty easy to lift it in one piece and lug it into the back yard if you're reasonably robust. It's more awkward than super heavy, but the tube can be unscrewed from the base in about 5 seconds if you need to make two trips to save your back. I had the non goto version for a while, but I reckon you'll be wanting goto in no time at all - it just opens up a whole new world of viewing pleasure, particularly if you are using an app like Sky Safari to scroll around the sky. If you get the goto, you'll be set for years - I've had mine for a decade now and it's still my go to (ha!) scope for backyard viewing.
Old 30-08-2022, 10:49 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Depends on your age and health, at 50+ and a few issues its a two trip setup for me. I can carry in one go, but it doesn't feel safe and not worth the strain. Add another trip for your associated gear, all mute if you can add castors and rollout to view.

I seldom use the GOTO setup, but I always use the controller to steer the scope when tracking planets. Out of solar objects are easy to nudge and keep in view once found and the ones with the most wow factor are fairly easy found via the 9x50 finder and a star app.

A lot of people are mounting mobile phones to the front of the scope and using free astro software to make location easy, essentially an electronic finder scope.

Steve

re: goto option...

At $1800 the 8" GOTO has jumped 50% in price over the past year, a new 6" GOTO and a second hand 12" push would cost you less money. The 6" tabletop would give you a fast easy scope for planets and the 12" a lot better for DSO's.

But my 8" scope does provide great views when conditions are right.

Using your phone as a finder scope...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slkgANoK5xs

Last edited by mura_gadi; 30-08-2022 at 11:20 AM.
Old 30-08-2022, 11:09 AM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Hi Alex. +1 for Astrojunk's advice. There is a Bintel 8" dob for $800 with a good selection of accessories with it that looks an excellent buy in the classifieds. In Melbourne, so close to you. Looks good to me.
Cheers, Richard
Old 10-09-2022, 08:37 PM
nosaj (Jason)

I have a solid-tube 8" Skywatcher Dob, and as long as you can comfortably lift 20 to 25 kg in an awkward shape, it's no drama. I find the shape is more a hindrance than the weight; the width of the base puts the centre of gravity further from my body than I like.

When I carry mine to the back yard, there's an awkward flight of steps in the dark so I do it in two trips. The flex-tube might help there. Doing it in two trips is really easy.

May I ask what made you choose the collapsible vs solid-tube?