Old 26-05-2022, 10:49 AM
Stephane

USB hub recommendations

Hi all,

I ordered a ZWO EAF only to realize I no longer have enough USB ports on my computer. I will need to purchase a USB hub. Any recommendations? (Links would be great)

Also, in regards to cable management, where would you suggest placing it? Directly under the OTA on the dovetail bar? I have an 8-inch Newtonian on an EQ6-R pro.

Many thanks,
Stéphane
Old 26-05-2022, 11:22 AM
floyd_2 (Dean)

I know some people use the Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox Advance Gen2 which includes power management, dew management and also a 4 port USB hub - all with software interface. They're pricey but could be worth considering if you also need to tidy up the rest of your cabling.
Old 26-05-2022, 01:01 PM
Drac0 (Mark)

I use a 12v powered hub from Startech. Mine is a 7 port (my laptop only has a single USB3) but I know others here use the 4 port version. As for where position it, I work mine out so I have the least number of cables coming off the moving parts of the scope/mount as possible. Right now it's mounted on the OTA dovetail bar, but new gear arrived today so that will be changing yet again.
Old 26-05-2022, 06:15 PM
Startrek (Martin)

I use a Startech 4 port USB3 “industrial” powered hub for both my EQ6-R and Newt imaging rigs and use USB3 (5m ) from laptop to hub bolted to the rear underside of mounts Losmandy bar and USB3 from hub to imaging camera and guide camera, USB2 to ZWO EAF
I have a spare port for a future ZWO Filter wheel
They have performed flawlessly at USB3. So USB2 a walk in the park

Cheers
Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (D8FB8A50-3813-4A5B-95F3-B26C5BE55741.jpg)
194.7 KB83 views
Old 26-05-2022, 06:27 PM
Rerouter (Ryan)

I have 3 of these on my rigs, the power switches are pretty rubbish so expect 1 port per hub to be avoided, but other than that are stable for me and more than happy with 10-15V straight out of a battery, and the higher current ports are nice for dew heaters,

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/...-hub-jbusbhub7
Old 26-05-2022, 08:03 PM
AdamJL

Pegasus Powerbox Advance gets my vote

I place it under my PC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20220404_072616046_iOS.jpg)
211.1 KB70 views
Old 27-05-2022, 02:55 PM
Stephane

Thanks everyone from your replies. Some great options presented. Adam, your cable management looks excellent. Martin, your industrial
option looks great too.

In the end though, I’ve gone with Ryan’s recommended hub. I’ll be positioning it where Martin has positioned his. I might get some sleeving to make everything look nice and reduce risk of snagging.

Thanks again to all.
Stéphane
Old 27-05-2022, 03:30 PM
AdamJL

ha, cable management is something I've spent a long time on, but it's constantly evolving. The current iteration looks a little better than what's above, and I hope it'll look better again in a month's time.

Definitely get some sleeving if you can. It makes everything easier not just on performance but also setup. The main reason I spend time with cable management is that I can setup cables within 60 seconds and usually a lot less right now once the gear's connected. Very important when you don't have a permanent setup and you have to take everything down after a session.

Good luck!
Old 27-05-2022, 05:28 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Stephane,
In regard to Hubs and cables …….,
Just remember that a Hubs performance can only be evaluated or measured by the performance of the cabling connectivity between it and end devices.
There are so many crappy cables out there on the market its ridiculous.
I stick with Startech for both Hubs and cables as they have “some sort of certification” on performance. USB3 cables are notorious for breaking down , in particular 3 meter and longer , but so far all my Startech USB3 cables have performed well up to 10m in length.

I have used other cable brands like Lindy , Avencore etc..

Cheers
Martin
Old 27-05-2022, 06:14 PM
Stephane

Thanks Martin. I remember you saying that a while back about cable quality. Currently I am within 3 meters. I have gone for a cheaper option as I might one day purchase a mini PC like Adam. I’d like to access it from the office using Chrome Remote Desktop or something similar. Currently the laptop is outside (warm and well protected) and I access it from inside with my iPad / iPhone. Not the ideal solution, but it does work well; and once set up, polar aligned, and in focus, I can monitor the acquisition and live stack (Pixinsight) from the comfort of my couch.
Old 27-05-2022, 07:32 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephane View Post
Thanks Martin. I remember you saying that a while back about cable quality. Currently I am within 3 meters. I have gone for a cheaper option as I might one day purchase a mini PC like Adam. I’d like to access it from the office using Chrome Remote Desktop or something similar. Currently the laptop is outside (warm and well protected) and I access it from inside with my iPad / iPhone. Not the ideal solution, but it does work well; and once set up, polar aligned, and in focus, I can monitor the acquisition and live stack (Pixinsight) from the comfort of my couch.
My eldest son who is an IT manager set me up with Windows 10 Pro Remote Desktop on both of my Laptops last year so it enable me to avoid spending a lot of time outside dealing with mosquitoes in Summer and cold nights in Winter.
It’s very responsive, I can control just about everything. ( except polar alignment and changing filters etc.. )
In Sydney I have a external data connection ( Weathproof box with flap ) near my back door about 5m from my rig and laptop workstation, very convenient and of course down south at my Dome I have 2 x data ports from Dome to my study.

Martin