Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2021, 03:12 PM
Sconesbie (Scott)

Killiecrankie Flinders Island

Hiya. I know these aren't unusual or unique but for the first time I have tried taking pics of the Milky Way with iPhone 12. I was on Flinders Island early this week for work. We stayed at Killiecrankie. The sky was deadset black with zero light pollution (except for half moon). I used a 10 sec exposure and was like a kid in a lolly shop when I saw how they turned out. The last one was enhanced by a local on Flinders Island (who I don't even know) and sent back to me. It's amazing how technology has come along in the last couple of years. By the way, if you get a chance to go there, do it. It's a beautiful island.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (30457AD8-8FE6-493F-80A9-C243BE4533F0.jpg)
128.2 KB46 views
Click for full-size image (10B0D941-47C5-4123-8874-A5CEF63800B1.jpg)
197.0 KB44 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_3890.JPG)
128.9 KB60 views
Old 02-07-2021, 04:19 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

You did well.
But be careful as one can become rather involved in the game of astrophotography and given your demonstration of a somewhat natural talent I could see you becoming deeply involved....well why not.
Alex
Old 02-07-2021, 06:03 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Good test for the iPhone 12, Scott. Most of the newer phones these days are pretty good in low light situations and manufacturers are channelling their R & D into improving the image quality they produce. They know where the market is and people don't bother with compact cameras anymore. They've taken over this area and should really be described as a compact camera with an internal phone! Imagery plays such an important roll in social media that other features of a mobile phone are lower on the priority scale now.

Yes, a nice place to visit, went there about 25 years ago and I bet it hasn't changed much!