Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2012, 09:03 AM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Moonlite slip clutch for High Res Stepper Motor

In case people have not heard, focusers fitted with High Res Stepper Motors now have a clutch that enables them to be operated with the manual focus knob.

Even when fully tightened there is enough slip in the clutch to stop the motor stalling when it reaches a travel limit.

Ron quoted me $US50 to upgrade mine, but needs it returned to the US to do it. The freight would be more than the upgrade.

See about half way down this page.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:23 AM
JohnH
Member # 159

I have just bought a new Moonlite - the latest model - for use with an RC10. This one has two updates - the slip clutch - a good improvement - and a holded for my AP FR in the draw tube with adjustable spacing - this allows you to get it spot on without using spacers.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:29 AM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Andrew, I had Ron send out a new slip clutch kit. He is reluctant for users to install these but I convinced him, so he will do this. I also I explained the shipping costs from Aust to USA were a lot more than the typical costs US people pay.

They (the new motor) are a nice bit of kit...the only down side is the right angle bracket to attach to the flange looks like it was modified from original, cut down. Looks like it was done by the Apprentice, not to the usual ML quality!

I'm not complaining though. His price was good (great) and his service impeccable and the motor a pure treat..but the bracket?

edit:
Oh I forgot to say...when removing the blind grub-screws that hold the DT shaft bushings (on a ML)......never use a ball head hex drive! The ball broke off in the grub-screw head and the grub-screw was stuck inside the blind hole. What a to do to get that out!. Maybe that's why he doesn't want users to self install!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0390small.jpg)
72.8 KB37 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0391small.jpg)
82.9 KB37 views

Last edited by wasyoungonce; 12-01-2012 at 02:19 PM.