Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 31-10-2021, 11:21 PM
DarthRiker (Vikram)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Star alignment and subsequent polar alignment will always be more accurate using your main camera and capture software with its polar alignment tool rather than an eye piece.
Your eyes have limitations and so does the eye piece , the camera is so much much more efficient in terms of sensitivity and resolution etc... and most capture software usually have a zoom in feature for tighter accuracy when centering stars
Atmospheric conditions can also affect the accuracy of your polar alignment to some degree as well.
Cheers
Thanks Martin.

Unfortunately, due to the skies being cloudy where I am (Kiama Heights, NSW), I wasn't able to do this tonight.

I did, however, set the mount (just the mount with power and HC - nothing else) up in the house just to practice the process of polar alignment using the Synscan controller.

I had Stellarium up on my computer as well to help me out.

[Note: Obviously I wasn't able to do the adjustments using the hand controller arrows for the 2-Star Alignment nor was I able to do the adjustments using the altitude & azimuth bolts.]

When I was doing it - the 1st Alignment Star (PA Star) I had to choose was Achemar due to being very close to the south meridian. As a 2nd Alignment Star I then chose Fomalhaut.

Were these two stars good choices?

(An aside - not that it matters much since this was a practice run indoors - but the resulting PA Error was: Mel=+000°00'42" Maz=+000°00'38")

The HC didn't give the option of Acrux for my PA Star and then (subsequently) Hadar for the 2nd Alignment Star.

I'm guessing this due to my location and the time of night I was doing it.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:12 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthRiker View Post
Thanks Martin.

Unfortunately, due to the skies being cloudy where I am (Kiama Heights, NSW), I wasn't able to do this tonight.

I did, however, set the mount (just the mount with power and HC - nothing else) up in the house just to practice the process of polar alignment using the Synscan controller.

I had Stellarium up on my computer as well to help me out.

[Note: Obviously I wasn't able to do the adjustments using the hand controller arrows for the 2-Star Alignment nor was I able to do the adjustments using the altitude & azimuth bolts.]

When I was doing it - the 1st Alignment Star (PA Star) I had to choose was Achemar due to being very close to the south meridian. As a 2nd Alignment Star I then chose Fomalhaut.

Were these two stars good choices?

(An aside - not that it matters much since this was a practice run indoors - but the resulting PA Error was: Mel=+000°00'42" Maz=+000°00'38")

The HC didn't give the option of Acrux for my PA Star and then (subsequently) Hadar for the 2nd Alignment Star.

I'm guessing this due to my location and the time of night I was doing it.
Both your alignment stars must be on the same side of the meridian ( Synscan requirement for EQ mounts ) Achernar and Formalhalt are on opposite sides of the south meridian line
At present I recommend using Achernar and Canopus around 10.30pm ( provided you have a view of Canopus as it’s quite low at around 30 degrees
Achernar being your ( first alignment Star and Polar Alignment Star ) with Canopus being your 2nd alignment Star.
This time of year there are not too many available bright stars near the south meridian line. You can choose stars on the other side of the south meridian line ( western side ) but both must be on that side, I can’t see any at the moment.
Alternatively you could use the following stars at 2am in the morning ( Miaplacidus ( 1st Alignment Star and Polar alignment Star ) and Avior ( 2nd Alignment Star )
It’s cloudy for the next week or so that means stars will move their present positions when you look on Stellarium again at the same time
Hope the above is helpful
Cheers
Martin
Old 06-11-2021, 11:14 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Both your alignment stars must be on the same side of the meridian ( Synscan requirement for EQ mounts ) Achernar and Formalhalt are on opposite sides of the south meridian line
At present I recommend using Achernar and Canopus around 10.30pm ( provided you have a view of Canopus as it’s quite low at around 30 degrees
Achernar being your ( first alignment Star and Polar Alignment Star ) with Canopus being your 2nd alignment Star.
This time of year there are not too many available bright stars near the south meridian line. You can choose stars on the other side of the south meridian line ( western side ) but both must be on that side, I can’t see any at the moment.
Alternatively you could use the following stars at 2am in the morning ( Miaplacidus ( 1st Alignment Star and Polar alignment Star ) and Avior ( 2nd Alignment Star )
It’s cloudy for the next week or so that means stars will move their present positions when you look on Stellarium again at the same time
Hope the above is helpful
Cheers
Martin
I forgot to attach some procedures and info
See attached
Cheers
Martin