Old 17-07-2017, 06:56 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Glen, beware...Nikon locks out the D3xxx series from computer control and are not supported by BackyardNikon.

Ideally, I'd want proper remote control of my little Fuji...being mirrorless, it's lighter, which is a positive feature in a multi-purpose camera.
Old 17-07-2017, 07:06 PM
casstony

The Nikon D5300, 5500 and 5600 all have the same chip and are highly recommended on CN.
Old 17-07-2017, 07:21 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Glen, beware...Nikon locks out the D3xxx series from computer control and are not supported by BackyardNikon.

Ideally, I'd want proper remote control of my little Fuji...being mirrorless, it's lighter, which is a positive feature in a multi-purpose camera.
Bummer. Thanks for that info. I had better read what CN has to say about the D5300.
Old 17-07-2017, 07:23 PM
JA

Quote:
You could try Digicamcontrol free software. It provides everything for the d3300 tethered, except Bulb mode, which limits exposure to the in-camera max of 30 seconds.

Quote:
Hi Cam, can I ask which Fuji you use and what sort of remote function you have? There is not much available for Fuji except the xt1 and xt2 tether software (via Adobe Lightroom) I think, but maybe it also works with other Fuji models not sure. As the cameras are now more mature maybe there are other work-arounds.

Best
JA
Old 18-07-2017, 08:02 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

JA, I have the X-A3 and it supports remote trigger via the Fuji connect app over wifi. There's also a built-in intervalometer on the camera, and so far I've been using with my Samyang 12mm f/2.0 and 30 seconds is plenty!

But as above, the tethering is immature for the X-series, hence the thoughts about a Nikon with the same sensor.

Currently, the D5600 looks good.
Old 18-07-2017, 12:17 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

I ran a workshop on Saturday night. One of the participants had a D810 with the 14-24mm f/2.8 lens. The quality and depth of the images of the Milky Way simply blew me away. I've got itchy fingers now. Despite not being 100% happy with the Sony sensor colours; Canon seems to represent the hydrogen wavelength pretty damn accurately.

There's meant to be a D810 replacement announcement in the next week or so. Will wait and see.

H
Old 18-07-2017, 02:09 PM
glend (Glen)

Is it ok to purchase from the Hong Kong based retailers that keep popping up in my searches for Nikon D5300, like DWI, etc? And will i have to pay GST on top (now that were in July), or was that deferred for values below $1k?
Old 18-07-2017, 02:20 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Is it ok to purchase from the Hong Kong based retailers that keep popping up in my searches for Nikon D5300, like DWI, etc? And will i have to pay GST on top (now that were in July), or was that deferred for values below $1k?
GST? Not sure, you could ask the ATO, or perhaps there is an accountant here who could advise. As for Off Shore retailers, they won't be covered by a Australian warranty, I would expect. So factor that in to any price.

Best
JA
Old 18-07-2017, 02:54 PM
gregbradley

Quote:

Which Fuji? There is Fuji smartphone app that will run some models. You an also run an intervalometer with them.

Greg.