Old 03-07-2021, 11:01 PM
MarkInSpace (Mark)

ZWO filter holder

Hi All, I really like the ZWO Filter drawer, but I worried about how to hold the drawers when swapping and was not sure about storage.
To help with this, I’ve designed and 3D printed various filter holders - and I’m happy to share files so you can too!
I’ve built filter holders to hold 1, 2 and 4 filters - have a look at the pics.
If anyone is after the .stl files for this, I will send them.
I hope ZWO has a look and professionally produces something similar.
No charge for the files - just DM me. If you are going to sell them, I would like to know out of curiosity.
Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2 filters.jpg)
110.9 KB97 views
Click for full-size image (4 filters.jpg)
118.6 KB94 views
Click for full-size image (4 filters - 2.jpg)
196.5 KB90 views
Old 04-07-2021, 07:00 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I like your idea.
I am waiting on my filters and not entirely sure where finally they will come from.
Having them in a unit such as yours is a great idea but I think some sort of lid would be a sensible addition.
I hope to end up with 7 filters.
Alex
Old 04-07-2021, 08:06 AM
Alchemy (Clive)
Quietly watching

Great idea, I have a few drawers, you could sell those, It’s got to be better than what I do
Old 08-07-2021, 08:12 PM
RyanJones

Very nice Mark. I have a ZWO filter draw but only one filter at the moment but your storage device could suit in the future. Well done.
Old 09-07-2021, 08:21 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJones View Post
Very nice Mark. I have a ZWO filter draw but only one filter at the moment but your storage device could suit in the future. Well done.
Ryan,
How do find the ZWO filter drawer
I dropped my L Extreme the other night in the Obs trying to screw it on my 2600MC ( stupid idea ) luckily no damage
What holds the filter firm once it’s inserted , springs or does it just sit in a cradle
My L Extreme is a 2”
If in the future I ever go Mono , I could still use the filter drawer I suppose , not ideal but doable
Thanks
Martin
Old 09-07-2021, 02:50 PM
RyanJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Ryan,
How do find the ZWO filter drawer
I dropped my L Extreme the other night in the Obs trying to screw it on my 2600MC ( stupid idea ) luckily no damage
What holds the filter firm once it’s inserted , springs or does it just sit in a cradle
My L Extreme is a 2”
If in the future I ever go Mono , I could still use the filter drawer I suppose , not ideal but doable
Thanks
Martin
Hi Martin,

It has two mechanisms to hold it in. First is a pair of magnets that hold the draw into the holder. The second is a spring loaded grub screw that kind of locks it in once it’s in. Personally I’ve tightened the grub a bit more because the magnets seem a little weak. I certainly wouldn’t trust them alone. It’s a good system and saves the extra weight of a filter wheel. I’m with you that if I go mono then it will do initially whilst building up a filter collection. They’re not expensive either.

Cheers

Ryan
Old 09-07-2021, 03:13 PM
AdamJL

Quote:
Hi Martin,

It has two mechanisms to hold it in. First is a pair of magnets that hold the draw into the holder. The second is a spring loaded grub screw that kind of locks it in once it’s in. Personally I’ve tightened the grub a bit more because the magnets seem a little weak. I certainly wouldn’t trust them alone. It’s a good system and saves the extra weight of a filter wheel. I’m with you that if I go mono then it will do initially whilst building up a filter collection. They’re not expensive either.

Cheers

Ryan
Oh my goodness. I have the ZWO filter drawer and had no idea that grub screw was there.. what a difference!!! I just tightened it and it's a really solid lock now. Thanks for that! I never liked the weak magnets, but this really fixes the entire issue with the holder.

Cheers
Old 09-07-2021, 03:40 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Hi Martin,

Cheers

Ryan
Ryan,
Thanks mate great , I’m going to order one as screwing these filters on the end of the coma corrector is fiddly due to the fine thread
Martin
Old 09-07-2021, 08:11 PM
RyanJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Ryan,
Thanks mate great , I’m going to order one as screwing these filters on the end of the coma corrector is fiddly due to the fine thread
Martin
With the added bonus that the housing is 21mm deep. This means it can be swapped out for one of the spacers between your coma corrector and camera.
Old 09-07-2021, 09:07 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
With the added bonus that the housing is 21mm deep. This means it can be swapped out for one of the spacers between your coma corrector and camera.
Ryan,
Thanks
Yeh I checked , clean swap which is great plus retain my existing 1mm spacer ring ( 56mm coma corrector to sensor )
Martin