Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects

Old 05-01-2021, 05:01 PM
Rocket (Ed)

Azimuth Limit Sensing System in RCX400 Base

I am trying to refubish a 10" RCX400, replacing its damaged control and drive boards with an Arduino-based system. I have done the basics of driving the axis and collimation mirrors and reading their encoders and limit switches so far.
In looking from the bottom into the base, there are two disks with cutouts, and two optical switches. The higher of these disks is firmly attached, and moves with the OTA as it changes in azimuth. The lower of these disks, however, is loose. I can move it by hand around the central axis, and it also seems to rock slightly. This disk also has a steel block on it, about 20 x 8x10mm, which doesnt seem to be magnetic.
I cannot see any missing screws or screw holes to suggest the previous owner tried to remove or loosen this disk, and it seems I would have to almost completely remove the yoke from the base to get more access, which seems a big and risky task.
Any thoughts on why there are two disks, to provide (I assume) optical limit switching in azimuth, rather than just one to stop winding up the wiring loom from multiple rotations, and why one disk is loose?
If all else fails, I can try to implement an alternative limit-sensing scheme, but I am puzzled as to how the mount is supposed to work.