Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2015, 10:52 AM
NTgazer (Chris)

Airline travel with telecope

Hi I'm thinking of getting a telescope from Orion Optics in the UK and having my parents bring it over when they visit later this year. What I want to know is would you trust that it would arrive safe and sound and what is the best way to pack it, original shipping carton (maybe add some plywood rectangles to cover each side then shrink wrap the lot plus fragile stickers) or should I get my dad to fit out a suitable pelican case for it? btw it would be an ally tube 8 inch f4.5 newt
thanks
Old 02-02-2015, 11:02 AM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

the original carton should be good enough -id avoid the fragile stickers..they seem to attract undo attention read:damage form parcel handlers
Old 02-02-2015, 10:35 PM
Wedgie (Derek)

Not having seen the Orion box and internal "packing" and having some experience in this area I'd humbly proffer a different perspective.
The international flight will have the Orion secured in a "can" so it won't fall off a trolley on the tarmac going out to be loaded/ unloaded, unlike the internal domestic flight to you in Darwin. I've seen many bags etc make the 2 ' drop and roll off a baggage trolley. I'd prefer my $5000?? telescope to be in a wooden crate in that case!
I wouldn't bother with any timber reinforcement of the cardboard box as there wouldn't be any significant extra rigidity added to the structure. Either buy a timber crate or just stick with the Orion box according to how precious she is and make sure you have adequate travel insurance coverage. Consider the excess payable VS the cost of the telescope.
The "bag chuckers" don't go out to deliberately damage anyone's bags/ cargo.
I would label every flat side with a "Fragile" tag and in black felt pen write "Handle with Care" "Delicate Optical instrument" or words to this effect. It can't hurt and may save your "Precious"!
Good luck!!
Old 02-02-2015, 10:47 PM
Wedgie (Derek)

My apologies for not reading the last part of your post.
Just get the Pelican/ Storm/ Hardigg case! I'm sure you will use it more than just the once.
Much better than cardboard for any potential drop & roll and won't be crushed inside the can if some genius puts it on the bottom of every other passenger's 32 kg Samsonite!
Still tape red "Fragile" tags on every flat surface.
GL.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:30 PM
Wavytone

Sounds like a lot of trouble to put your parents through for a rather ordinary scope - plenty of similar newts to choose from locally - and I don't believe yiur saving much, if anything at all.

If you're really determined to do this take the OTA apart, removing the mirrors and pack these as cabin luggage. The rest can go in a case checked in as normal baggage.

I have flown with a C8 before and it's not something I'd do again.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:38 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

I tend to agree with wavy, a lot of trouble to go to, unless it is a fairly high end scope, in which case surely easier to get it shipped by the supplier and then they take the risk!

Malcolm
Old 04-02-2015, 03:00 PM
NTgazer (Chris)

Thanks guys I'm actually looking at a second hand scope sorry that is part of a really good deal on a mount, the scope is effectively free