Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Solar System
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-10-2021, 07:52 PM
Quark (Trevor)

Jupiter October 16th PJ37 track

Hi All,

Imaged Jupiter October 16th in good seeing targeting the track for PJ37. The first 685nm IR data set has the track crossing the EZ at the CM.
I note the reported impact from October 15th occurred approx 18 hrs prior to these data at approx Lat+21 L2 201, L3 40. There is a feature resolved in these R, G & B data at approx Lat+20.4 L2 210.7 it is a quite elongated oval structure with a dark spot within it. Although resolved in R, G and B it is best seen in B.

http://pvol2.ehu.eus/pvolimages/jupi...85nmIR_tba.gif

Cheers
Trevor
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (j2021-10-16_09-17_ir_tba.png)
148.2 KB34 views
Click for full-size image (j2021-10-16_09-25-54_r_tba.png)
143.2 KB28 views
Click for full-size image (j2021-10-16_09-31_g_tba.png)
141.9 KB31 views
Click for full-size image (j2021-10-16_09-31_rgb_tba.jpg)
29.6 KB66 views
Click for full-size image (j2021-10-16_09-36-12_b_tba.png)
143.4 KB27 views
Click for full-size image (j2021-10-16_09-45_CH4_tba.png)
172.2 KB28 views
Click for full-size image (j2021-10-16_09-53_ir_tba.png)
149.3 KB23 views
Old 18-10-2021, 12:23 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Excellent work Trevor, very nice images. Haven't heard much more about the impact flash, must be more video out there somewhere.
Old 18-10-2021, 11:42 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Really nice set of pics. I can't see that impact feature you mentioned.
Old 18-10-2021, 11:51 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Really nice set of pics. I can't see that impact feature you mentioned.
Me neither
I compared yours with other images
on the net and cant find anything in your
images.
Could you highlight it please Trevor?
Cheers
Old 18-10-2021, 12:37 PM
Dave882 (David)

Beautiful images. Really enjoying flicking between the different data channels! So much detail to take in. Love it!!
Old 18-10-2021, 02:57 PM
Quark (Trevor)

Thanks very much Jeff, the impact was captured by a Japanese team and there is a video of CH4 data with the flash lasting 2 seconds.

Thanks Marc, John Rogers confirmed the feature in my data although at the approx co-ordinates of the impact is not related at all. I am surprised you do not see the feature though. It is well resolved in R, G, B and of course RGB. John Rogers tells me it is a NTropZ AWO. It is quite large but has low contrast and the dark spot within it is toward the trailing edge of the oval feature. So......look at the B channel image the oval structure is in the middle of the NTrZ it has a prominent red barge just preceding it below and nearn the border with the EZ. When you find it in the B channel look at the G channel where it also is well defined while the R and RGB define the centre of it but not so much the outline of the oval structure.

Hi Ron have attached another version of the B channel with the oval clearly marked, it is quite large but not related to the impact.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (j2021-10-16_09-36-12_b_tbaV2.png)
99.8 KB17 views
Old 18-10-2021, 02:58 PM
Quark (Trevor)

Thanks very much Dave.
Old 18-10-2021, 03:53 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
Thanks very much Jeff, the impact was captured by a Japanese team and there is a video of CH4 data with the flash lasting 2 seconds.

Thanks Marc, John Rogers confirmed the feature in my data although at the approx co-ordinates of the impact is not related at all. I am surprised you do not see the feature though. It is well resolved in R, G, B and of course RGB. John Rogers tells me it is a NTropZ AWO. It is quite large but has low contrast and the dark spot within it is toward the trailing edge of the oval feature. So......look at the B channel image the oval structure is in the middle of the NTrZ it has a prominent red barge just preceding it below and nearn the border with the EZ. When you find it in the B channel look at the G channel where it also is well defined while the R and RGB define the centre of it but not so much the outline of the oval structure.

Hi Ron have attached another version of the B channel with the oval clearly marked, it is quite large but not related to the impact.
Thanks Trevor.
I did see that,but I thought you where referring to the impact site.
Cheers
Old 18-10-2021, 03:58 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
I am surprised you do not see the feature though. It is well resolved in R, G, B and of course RGB. John Rogers tells me it is a NTropZ AWO. It is quite large but has low contrast and the dark spot within it is toward the trailing edge of the oval feature. So......look at the B channel image the oval structure is in the middle of the NTrZ it has a prominent red barge just preceding it below and nearn the border with the EZ. When you find it in the B channel look at the G channel where it also is well defined while the R and RGB define the centre of it but not so much the outline of the oval structure.

Cool - thanks. Yes it is obvious now. Just couldn't figure out what I was looking for before.
Old 20-10-2021, 12:58 PM
Quark (Trevor)

Dr John Rogers Director of the BAA Jupiter Section sent out a PJ37 image this morning which has a very hi-res view of the AWO in the NTropZ with the co-ordinates of the impact marked. At this stage there is no sign of any impact related material but I thought his message would be of interest. I will try and attache the image but it may be too large a file for IIS.

"The PJ37 images have just been posted. Images such as the one attached give an excellent view of that AWO in the NTropZ (possibly Juno's best view ever of one; and image 37 shows the whole of it). It also shows one of the very dark little barges near the limb. No doubt a full-resolution version of the image will being out good details in these features. The impact site 28 hours earlier must be somewhere in or near the oval outline. I don't see anything unusual and it would not be surprising if there is nothing to see, but any conclusion must wait for a full-resolution map.
Regards
John"
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Fig_PJ37C00036_NEBn.jpg)
143.0 KB10 views