Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21-02-2022, 07:55 AM
Saturn488

Heavy duty cover for mount

What do people use to cover their mounts when left outside?

I am installing a pier in my backyard in the next few weeks and I need to find a suitable, heavy duty cover for my HEQ5 mount.

Any recommendations?
Old 21-02-2022, 08:41 AM
Startrek (Martin)

I’ve used Orion scope cloaks ( Bintel ) over my HEQ5 with 6” newt and EQ6-R with 8” newt over the past 5 years for months and months at a time and no issues.
35degree heat in Summer and 5degrees during Winter, wind and torrential rain
I first use a cut piece of light duty poly tarp over the OTA ( 1m x 1m ) then throw the scope cloak over that and use Velcro strap around the tripod legs
I sold my HEQ5 to PaulSouthCoast a few years ago in mint condition and my EQ6-R is still in good condition, OTA is good condition and mirrors are clean
Here’s the important thing to do , I spray silicon Lub ( Supercheap auto ) over all the metal work and lubricate all the bolts and screws about twice a year
I use to tear down and rebuild my rig every session when I first started 5 years ago , drove me up the wall
The longest I’ve left my rig outside with the Orion scope cloak is 6 months and it’s fine.
Hope the above helps
Old 21-02-2022, 08:47 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
I’ve used Orion scope cloaks ( Bintel ) over my HEQ5 with 6” newt and EQ6-R with 8” newt over the past 5 years for months and months at a time and no issues.
35degree heat in Summer and 5degrees during Winter, wind and torrential rain
I first use a cut piece of light duty poly tarp over the OTA ( 1m x 1m ) then throw the scope cloak over that and use Velcro strap around the tripod legs
I sold my HEQ5 to PaulSouthCoast a few years ago in mint condition and my EQ6-R is still in good condition, OTA is good condition and mirrors are clean
Here’s the important thing to do , I spray silicon Lub ( Supercheap auto ) over all the metal work and lubricate all the bolts and screws about twice a year
I use to tear down and rebuild my rig every session when I first started 5 years ago , drove me up the wall
The longest I’ve left my rig outside with the Orion scope cloak is 6 months and it’s fine.
Hope the above helps
Here’s a photo of my Sydney set up with rig , Orion scope cloak and laptop workstation with cover next to it
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (BE7E589D-452D-4AC3-AE4E-74BBB64A6A0A.jpg)
195.2 KB89 views
Old 21-02-2022, 09:07 AM
bojan
amateur

This is what I used to have:
The water condensation stopped to be an issue after I elevated the water tank ~40 cm and after I started using plastic bag close around the mount.
This arrangement served me for 8 years ( now this pier is permanently mounted in Mt Pleasant under ROR).
Old 21-02-2022, 09:23 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

I have kept an EQ6 outside in a BBQ cover of a type intended for round kettle-type shapes. Its heavy duty although there is a light plastic version that would probably serve as well. I take the OTA indoors and throw the cover over mount-tripod. No issues.
Old 21-02-2022, 10:57 AM
Saturn488

Thats for the feedback! I currently use a telegizmos cover for my mount and tripod which is great but it's way too big so just getting a smaller cover for the mount as it will be on the pier going forward would be plenty.

I am still not confident enough yet to leave my entire OTA setup and camera outside haha
Old 21-02-2022, 11:00 AM
Saturn488

I found something like this which looks pretty good.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/mojo-pre...cover_p0197025
Old 21-02-2022, 04:43 PM
Saturn488

Or even one of these just for the mount.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/polytuf-...cover_p8916172
Old 21-02-2022, 07:05 PM
Astronovice (Calvin)

Bunnings bbq smoker or kettle cover

The attached pic shows what I have used for the past 2 years in Cairns without any problems.
Just to be sure I wrap the mount (HEQ5 Pro) head in a towel, cover with a heavy duty plastic bag and then the bbq cover. The towel prevents chafing damage to the cover in windy conditions.

Hope this helps.

C
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (E84156BC-1901-415B-9121-2AEE27C8B8A0.jpg)
215.0 KB74 views
Old 21-02-2022, 07:58 PM
Saturn488

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronovice View Post
The attached pic shows what I have used for the past 2 years in Cairns without any problems.
Just to be sure I wrap the mount (HEQ5 Pro) head in a towel, cover with a heavy duty plastic bag and then the bbq cover. The towel prevents chafing damage to the cover in windy conditions.

Hope this helps.

C
That looks great and thanks for the towel tip as well!
Old 21-02-2022, 10:16 PM
Hemi

I’ve used a telegizmo 365 for years…on my second one now, they are very good and do exactly what they say on the tin.
Old 26-02-2022, 12:16 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

I've also got a Telegizmo cover. They custom made one for my 20" Skywatcher dob. It's very good, and if you wanted a custom made one I'm sure they could do something for you. Dunno about leaving it outside 24/7 though - maybe the heavy duty tarp or BBQ cover is a better option.
Old 26-02-2022, 01:58 PM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Towel is a good idea for absorbing moisture, but you'll need to dry it or change it after/during the humid periods.

An inverted bucket with a split rubber lid might work as well, like the charity buckets. Might be able to use the rim to attach a few bungee cords lanyards too as well.
Old 28-02-2022, 05:45 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Since 2016 have used a bbq cover from Bunnings (cost $60 I think) with nothing else. I leave it open at the bottom to let air circulate. On my 2nd cover as they break down over time.

Its an ATM mount so I know every square cm of the thing. Spiders cobwebs and a layer of dust are the only minus from it being open.

Five and a half years on it still works, just needs a bit of a clean up every now and then.