Old 13-06-2021, 10:04 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Dial Indicators

Hello,

I'm after a dial indicator for my glass testing rig, I'm after one with 1" travel and 0.001 increments. Looking around it seems to be $80-$90 to find one with these attributes and a stated accuracy rate.

Anyone have suggest for online stores(Oz) or brands to look in regards to dial indicators, preferably something you have used yourself.

Thanks
Steve
Old 13-06-2021, 02:47 PM
bojan
amateur

How about this one:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/38366247...frcectupt=true
I removed plastic vipers and spring, so now it lower itself to measured surface due to it's own weight.
Certainly worth a try for 5$
Old 13-06-2021, 03:06 PM
sunslayr (David)

If you were going to pay something in the $100 range I'd go for a known quantity like a Mitutoyo they can be had on ebay for $145. If you wanted something in the $50 range I'd buy one from M&G on ebay I've had good experiences with them in the past. I would guess most products less than $100 are made in the same factory so its a bit of a lucky dip as to wether you get your moneys worth.
Old 13-06-2021, 03:32 PM
Astronovice (Calvin)

I would also recommend Mitutoyo, also available here https://generaltools.com.au/product/...r-0-1-x-0-001/
currently discounted to $111.41
Old 16-06-2021, 05:58 PM
alval (Alan)

If you’re looking for sensitivity and smoothness then make sure its a jewelled one, mitutoyo, and moore and wright are good, I’ve used both. Is there any particular reason for an inch indicator, a 30mm travel .01mm graduation will give more accuracy/readings than an .001 inch one. One thou graduation will be 2.5graduations of the .01 metric one so if youre looking for fine variances it might be something to look at.
Old 17-06-2021, 06:06 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Hello,

Thanks for the extra suggestions, the only reason I am picking 1" at .001 is a suggestion from one of the ATM website, Mel Bartel or similar.

I did noticing that some of the tolerances were greater than the increments on some of the dial indictors. Also an issue with going more than X amount of turns from zero prior to tolerance shifts when measuring.

Its for a Foucault/Ronchi tester I want to build, hence the 1" travel, I assume to make setting up easier.

Thanks
Steve
Ps. The Mitutoyo products have a nice table for all the dial indicators, size, travel, tolerances etc, all on one table which makes looking up the model specs very easy.