ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-04-2012, 04:53 PM
JimmyH155

Wink Observing M42 is it a coincidence?

For several years now, I have been keeping an eye on the great Orion Nebula, M42. I have had several people look through my scope to see the fantastic Trapesium with all that nebulosity, and an amazing thing is that always in the field of view are those 3 bright stars just off to the side. All the people who have looked say "Oh there is Orion's belt!" I have to say to them that, no those 3 stars are nowhere near Orions belt.Then last weekend I was having a last look at the Trapezium and there were those 3 stars. They are the exact image of the belt stars - ie not in a straight line and like the Great Pyramids !!!I have never seen any comments on those stars on this forum.....Orion's Belt?Great Pyramids?Milky Way, Nile river??STRANGE........
Old 05-05-2012, 09:56 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyH155 View Post
For several years now, I have been keeping an eye on the great Orion Nebula, M42. I have had several people look through my scope to see the fantastic Trapesium with all that nebulosity, and an amazing thing is that always in the field of view are those 3 bright stars just off to the side. All the people who have looked say "Oh there is Orion's belt!" I have to say to them that, no those 3 stars are nowhere near Orions belt.Then last weekend I was having a last look at the Trapezium and there were those 3 stars. They are the exact image of the belt stars - ie not in a straight line and like the Great Pyramids !!!I have never seen any comments on those stars on this forum.....Orion's Belt?Great Pyramids?Milky Way, Nile river??STRANGE........
What is so strange about three stars in the Orion Nebula with a similar alignment to the belt stars in the Orion Constellation
Just pure coincidence.
How you can draw anything out of the ordinary such as the line up of the Pyramids, Milky Way, ect,to this chance alignment is drawing a long bow.
By the way, this a asterism will look completely different from a different position in the galaxy.
Some Humans have great imagination and can conjure up all sorts of strange things out of simple natural geometry.
Cheers

Last edited by astroron; 05-05-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 15-05-2012, 09:02 AM
JimmyH155

yes, it is great to have an imagination - so nice to dream.....
But still, I might have thought that other people may have noticed too. Read Adrian Gilbert's book "The Orion Mystery"
JIMMY
Old 15-05-2012, 09:45 AM
jenchris (Jennifer)

Ah but the pyramids on Planet Zanith are aligned differently, because the stars in the Orion Neb are aligned differently to them.

In fact the trapezium only has three stars on Zanith and is called the Triangle because one is occulted by the others. Oh and the pyramids only have three sides because of this.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:12 PM
mysticcoder (Ian)

Books to read on this

If you want to know about the Orion correlation there are many sources. The first and prime is Robert Bauval - "The Orion Mystery" that is the first source of correlating the Orion belt stars to the three great pyramids. Very well worth following this knowledge IMO. Follow up works include his and other works by Graham Hancock and others (Adrian Gilbert et.al) dealing with the Giza pyramids and the sphinx and star alignments and precession etc. Well worth examining as they are looking into how the ancients used the stars and precession (then and now) to pinpoint precise times/dates. It's generally called archeoastronomy. Don't let the jokers fool you - it's real. Look into it and decide for yourself - and if you are an astronomer - figure it out for yourself - of course. (yes the great pyramids align to the nile and milky way/orion belt at 10500 BC)
Old 05-06-2012, 09:47 AM
jenchris (Jennifer)

The Nile didn't flow there in 10,500 BC. Neither were the Pyramids there.
The Sphinx might have been - and apparently they were on the River edge when they were built because they were inundated for a while.(water wear marks on the Sphinx indicate flooding).
And Lorne Green didn't fly star cruisers either - what WAS the name of that TV prog?
Old 05-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Poita (Peter)

The original Battlestar Galactica.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Pyramids or other structures were aligned to various star patterns, many ancient societies loved their asterisms.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:52 PM
JimmyH155

orion

The book "The Orion Mystery" was co-authored by Robert Bauval and Adrian Gilbert. Adrian also goes on to say in his book that the Egyptian civilisation is much older than 10,000 years - more like 26,000 BC Another ripper to read is Adrian Gilbert's book "2012 - the end of the world as we know it" All to do with the Mayan prophecy. December 22nd this year is when it all happens.
Adrian Gilbert is my brother-in-law
Old 05-06-2012, 08:11 PM
madbadgalaxyman (Robert)

Our own galaxy, the Milky Way Galaxy, contains some 500 billion stars. Each and every one of these stars can be looked at from an infinite variety of different angles and can be looked at from a vast variety of different distances.

It is very likely that a person could find two views that look very similar, or identical, if he/she goes to the appropriate points within our galaxy.
I venture to say that any particular shape within the imagination of a human, could be found somewhere in our galaxy.....

The constellations and star alignments that we see in our (2-dimensional ) sky from Earth are simply a product of our own particular place in our galaxy. There are billions of different places in our own Galaxy, and each of these places will have its own constellations.

These star alignments are usually quite random, excepting cases where stars are genuinely associated, for example in star clusters, OB associations, and spiral arms.

So, there is little significance to most of the shapes that can be seen in the sky.

Just because two things look identical, it does not mean that they have to be connected.

Yours truly,
madbadgalaxyman
(I am an observer of the Milky Way and the other galaxies, with four decades of experience.)