Old 23-09-2021, 09:33 AM
Emuhead (Andrew)

Shooting on moonlit nights (like tonight)

Hi all,

I know that shooting Oiii is basically out, and Ha & Sii will fare better on full moon nights, but what is your rule of thumb on when to shoot on a moonlit night, what filters do you shoot with, how far from the moon, and how bright a moon is ok? (tonight is 93%). Also, any real difference between waxing & waning for shooting, assuming there is none.

Lots of questions, appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers

Last edited by Emuhead; 23-09-2021 at 09:59 AM.
Old 24-09-2021, 07:30 AM
Emuhead (Andrew)

Well tried it, got the blue, green, red & oiii out of the way before the moon came up, i managed at least 2 hours of darkness before it did too, have to remember that just because it's a moonlit night I can still get some good data in, then sat on Ha & Sii until the target dropped from view. Now to find out how much the subs were affected by moon but from the initial look of it, hardly at all.
Old 24-09-2021, 08:04 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Hello,

If your really prepared to screw your sleep up, moon rise and moon set are great. You can get some hours in during any phase of the moon just about, esp. if you can get the moon 12degree or more below the horizon.

Steve
Old 24-09-2021, 08:15 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

I shot about 6 hours of Oiii last night, but the moon was around 60 degrees away from my target.

That said, you could see the influence of the moon in the data as it rose, the minimum, mean and median values slowly rose with it and stabilised by about 10PM. I could not see any gradient in the data so I kept going.

Edit, 60 degrees, not 6!

Last edited by The_bluester; 27-09-2021 at 02:58 PM.
Old 27-09-2021, 11:48 AM
Emuhead (Andrew)

Thanks guys, all useful info.

@Steve: 12 degrees or more lower than the horizon seems like a lot.. not surprised, but also a little surprised if that makes sense.

@Paul: I noticed the same thing in my subs too, but have started checking the Median value more now to help with this. ta.