Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15-06-2021, 08:29 PM
iborg (Philip)

Viewing near Pambula NSW

Hi All

I may be lucky with the property I'll be staying at, but, if not, is anybody able to suggest a good astro viewing spot near Pambula?

I am hoping to be there for a week in July.

Philip
Old 15-06-2021, 09:05 PM
Gary47 (Gary)

My family used to spend every Christmas and Easter at Pambula when I was still at school. Back then a perfect observing spot would have been just about anywhere. I stopped off there about ten years back and could not believe the development, I think every person except me who ever holidayed there has built a holiday home or retired there. My guess is that light pollution now would be just a hairs breath behind any other suburb.
BTW. Don't swim in the surf if the salmon, yellow fin or bait fish are schooling, lotsa BIG sharks looking for a snack very close to the beach.
Gary
Old 15-06-2021, 09:25 PM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

My approach

Hello,

I normally load up the dark sky map for a light pollution layer and a separate window for the contour map opened to the same area. Good old google maps to check the roads etc.

You can normally tell where the light pollution is coming from, so find a valley or a hill that can shield you as well as being away from the source.

Always check the site prior to the night, check for burnt car bodies, smashed bottles, if it has lighting, security patrols etc.

Steve
Ps. I'd try up around Ben Boyd road myself, 20mins out of town. But anywhere up out of the coastal plain away from town really with a few hills in between.

Last edited by mura_gadi; 15-06-2021 at 09:34 PM. Reason: added Ps.
Old 26-06-2021, 07:07 PM
iborg (Philip)

Hi

Sorry, I should have replied earlier.

Gary, not planning on any swimming this time, I prefer to keep my delicate attached rather than freeze them off!

Steve, good idea with the dark sky maps. I have a couple of places in mind from that.

Philip