Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2019, 04:41 PM
Harpage (Danh)

Purchasing William Optics scopes in Australia?

Hi,

In a few months, I plan on doing some astrophotography (I will be going on holidays soon, so I can’t purchase a setup now). I’ll be using a Saxon HEQ5 and a Canon EOS70D. The next thing I need to look for is an OTA, and I really like the Williams Optics Zenithstar 61.

It looks really nice and it’s received many good reviews online. This looks like the OTA for me, so I’ve basically added it to the list. But now I’m struggling to find somewhere to buy one of these.

I checked the Andrews Communications store, and their prices seem about right. Does anyone have experience with this store? And how can I pay them? It doesn’t look like they accept PayPal, which is something I’d want with an expensive purchase like this so I can be rest assured. I would assume to order, I just give them a call/email and tell them what I want to buy and my address - am I correct?

For anyone who has purchased this scope from Andrews, what was the lead time (I heard these items are special order), and what were the costs of the accessories (notably the field flattener and the dovetail bar). Furthermore, is shipping free or something you have to pay for? Driving to Sydney or having someone collect it for me isn’t an option unfortunately.

I found another seller. Does anyone have experience with the 'phiber3317' store on eBay? They sell this scope for $950 + shipping, but they don’t sell the other accessories I need. Plus, there’s a delivery time of over a month, which doesn’t seem very attractive.

I’ve also noticed that purchasing this scope is rather cheap from an overseas shop like First Light Optics. The Z61 + field flattener + AU shipping totals to about $1k AU, which is the exact cost for buying a scope here. It also only takes 2-3 weeks to arrive. But I don’t know about all of the import taxes, customs, duties, etc... Has anyone here done this, and what was your experience like?

I apologize for rambling a lot, but this is a rather expensive purchase and I’d like all of my questions answered before I spend $1k+ on a scope. By the way, I’m not interested in purchasing anything used. I don’t mind spending extra on something which I’ll be able to have warranty on, and I prefer buying new things in general.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-12-2019, 04:47 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

There is also this seller who also knocks $50 of RRP
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/William-...r=502928259685

So more or less you get it for less than $900
Old 09-12-2019, 04:50 PM
Harpage (Danh)

That was the eBay seller I was mentioning. Only problem is the seemingly long delivery time and also they don’t mention the prices of the additional accessories. By the way I’m new here. Is there a way to fix it so threads aren’t read from bottom to top? (the newest comment is always on top of the page)

Last edited by Harpage; 09-12-2019 at 04:51 PM. Reason: added bonus question
Old 09-12-2019, 04:55 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Tht's the way this forum and most others work
Old 09-12-2019, 04:59 PM
CeratodusDuck (George)

Go to your User CP and you can change settings to show the thread in order of oldest to newest (how I view it).
Old 09-12-2019, 05:06 PM
Harpage (Danh)

Thanks. I prefer reading it from oldest to newest, especially when reading a new thread and I have no clue on what’s going on.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:06 PM
Wilso

It’s under edit options thread display
Old 09-12-2019, 05:14 PM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpage View Post
Hi,

In a few months, I plan on doing some astrophotography (I will be going on holidays soon, so I can’t purchase a setup now). I’ll be using a Saxon HEQ5 and a Canon EOS70D. The next thing I need to look for is an OTA, and I really like the Williams Optics Zenithstar 61.

It looks really nice and it’s received many good reviews online. This looks like the OTA for me, so I’ve basically added it to the list. But now I’m struggling to find somewhere to buy one of these.

I checked the Andrews Communications store, and their prices seem about right. Does anyone have experience with this store? And how can I pay them? It doesn’t look like they accept PayPal, which is something I’d want with an expensive purchase like this so I can be rest assured. I would assume to order, I just give them a call/email and tell them what I want to buy and my address - am I correct?

For anyone who has purchased this scope from Andrews, what was the lead time (I heard these items are special order), and what were the costs of the accessories (notably the field flattener and the dovetail bar). Furthermore, is shipping free or something you have to pay for? Driving to Sydney or having someone collect it for me isn’t an option unfortunately.

I found another seller. Does anyone have experience with the 'phiber3317' store on eBay? They sell this scope for $950 + shipping, but they don’t sell the other accessories I need. Plus, there’s a delivery time of over a month, which doesn’t seem very attractive.

I’ve also noticed that purchasing this scope is rather cheap from an overseas shop like First Light Optics. The Z61 + field flattener + AU shipping totals to about $1k AU, which is the exact cost for buying a scope here. It also only takes 2-3 weeks to arrive. But I don’t know about all of the import taxes, customs, duties, etc... Has anyone here done this, and what was your experience like?

I apologize for rambling a lot, but this is a rather expensive purchase and I’d like all of my questions answered before I spend $1k+ on a scope. By the way, I’m not interested in purchasing anything used. I don’t mind spending extra on something which I’ll be able to have warranty on, and I prefer buying new things in general.

Thanks in advance!
Are you sure the eBay seller is going to provide warranty
If he is not an authorised dealer then WO won't back your purchase either...

Andrew's Comms is fine to purchase from....
Old 09-12-2019, 05:22 PM
CeratodusDuck (George)

Phiber does have a great price on RedCats. I'll stick with Peter Ward though - he IS an authorised WO dealer ($200 difference though...)
Old 09-12-2019, 05:23 PM
Harpage (Danh)

Oh yeah that’s a good point. Though Andrews don’t accept PayPal and I sort of want that buyers protection incase something does go wrong.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:26 PM
CeratodusDuck (George)

I think Andrews WILL now. I bought a mount from them last week and I think Luke mentioned PP.

I paid by direct deposit into their account. Just as easy.

And yes, Andrews are GREAT to deal with. Their website is a shocker (very 1990's ) but the prices usually good. Just don't expect fantastic service from Toll-IPEC they use to ship - cheap, and for a reason. Arrived at local depot, and they were going to deliver it 4 days later. I requested personal depot pickup, so did
Old 09-12-2019, 05:26 PM
AstroApprentice (Jason)

WO from Cyclops Optics

Hi Dan,
Andrews Comms are a reputable Aus dealer, but do need to modernise their website/sales. Alternatively, you can buy WO from Robin at Cyclops Optics in Hong Kong. Despite being in HK, CO are the official Aus dealer for some Astro products e.g. Pegasus and offer free delivery over a certain price. I’ve had very positive dealings with Robin over the last few years.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:34 PM
CeratodusDuck (George)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroApprentice View Post
Hi Dan,
Andrews Comms are a reputable Aus dealer, but do need to modernise their website/sales. Alternatively, you can buy WO from Robin at Cyclops Optics in Hong Kong. Despite being in HK, CO are the official Aus dealer for some Astro products e.g. Pegasus and offer free delivery over a certain price. I’ve had very positive dealings with Robin over the last few years.
As I mentioned above their website is..well...crap. I am sure someone in our community could fix it for them for mutual benefit.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:36 PM
Harpage (Danh)

Thanks for the shop recommendation, Cyclops will send the Z61 + flattener + m48 T-Ring for $1200 shipped, but i don’t about the taxes and stuff (since it’s over $1k, it has to be declared, right? or is that per item?). But if Andrews accepts PayPal, I might buy it there, especially if delivery will be quicker. I’ll send em an email tomorrow and see.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:58 PM
CeratodusDuck (George)

I was incorrect. This is what Luke said : If you would like to place an order, we accept payment by credit card, cheque, or direct deposit into our bank account.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:50 PM
Harpage (Danh)

I emailed Andrews and they will sell me the Zenithstar 61 with flattener, case, T-Ring, and dovetail for $1725 including shipping. But if I just purchased the scope, flattener, and T-ring, it will total to $1537. If I imported this scope from Cyclops Optics or FLO, should I expect to pay about $300-400 in customs and duties?

Alternatively, I noticed My Astroshop sells the GT-71 which is a triplet and includes a field flattener as well, for only $1535. I’ve emailed them asking how much shipping is but they haven’t answered yet. I expect it to probably be about $50, so the total setup would be about $3000 with other accessories. But how noticeable is the difference between a triplet like the GT-71, and a doublet of the same size like the Skywatcher Evostar ED 72which is a lot cheaper. The difference is about $600 so I’m not sure if it’s worth it or not.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:47 PM
AstroApprentice (Jason)

RedCat 71

Just to confuse you some more, WO will soon be releasing their new RedCat 71 Petzval APO refractor. It will have a focal ratio of f/4.9 and a 45 mm image circle...
Old 10-12-2019, 04:05 PM
Harpage (Danh)

Ohhh, the Recat 71 looks really nice but hopefully it’s not as expensive as the Star 71. Actually looking at them, they’re basically the same. So what would the difference between the Star 71 and Redcat 71 be?
Old 15-12-2019, 12:31 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeratodusDuck View Post
Phiber does have a great price on RedCats. I'll stick with Peter Ward though - he IS an authorised WO dealer ($200 difference though...)
I have a rubbish website too.

But ATS are actually WO's oldest Australian dealer (I met Bill in Taipei in the 1990's).

Good luck with warranties from foreign E-bay sellers, as likely you will be paying $$ to return defective items... WO QC is not bad, but we have had to send the occasional 'scope back that was not up to par. Australian consumer laws must be observed by local dealers, but mainly it's the GST which is the reason for small premium in local pricing.

Out of the current crop of WO optics, I have to say their RedCat/SpaceCat 51's are very impressive. You'd pay 3x as much for comparable Canon or Nikon glass. I bought one for myself! But it is still to see first light due the cloud + smoke around Sydney of late.....
Old 15-12-2019, 07:50 PM
DeWynter (ILYA)

WO ships to Australia straight from their warehouse in Asia. If you want WO ZS61 or RedCat then buying from WO directly is the best thing.
AndrewsCom and other will simply order items from WO and then re-deliver to you. That explains long delivery times.